a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions
clarkt Contributing Member • Posts: 713
a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed
1

Can anyone offer any sample photos for this combo, or links to them? They seem to be few and far between in the web. Also, if you use this combo please comment on your experience. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,635
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

I'd like to see some as well -- have considered this lens a few times but some other "need" always surpassed it.

I think it's a rare combo because a580 came with the 18-55 as a kit and the 16-50 wasn't available until after the a580 was discontinued I believe; so by then all the a580 owners had another lens in this focal range.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

 TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
OP clarkt Contributing Member • Posts: 713
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

TheVoid wrote:

I'd like to see some as well -- have considered this lens a few times but some other "need" always surpassed it.

I think it's a rare combo because a580 came with the 18-55 as a kit and the 16-50 wasn't available until after the a580 was discontinued I believe; so by then all the a580 owners had another lens in this focal range.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

Yeah, and considering the sharpness you can get from the a580 this could be a winning combo. I don't own either component but am considering buying them.

Do you own a a580?

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

Linzthom Regular Member • Posts: 197
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

I have the a580 and have the Tamron 17-50 on it. Very, very sharp and nice colour.  I love the combination. The most over looked camera in the last few years, IMHO.

TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,635
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

Yes, I have the a580. I bought it with the kit 18-55 lens but eventually sold off that lens. I've been sampling lenses ever since...I think my dream kit that I hope to eventually land on is the 16-50/2.8, the 85/2.8 prime, and the 70-400G, but I'm currently selling some glass to be able to afford either the 70-300G or a Tamron 200-500 if I can find a good deal on one.

The lens I use most right now is a Sigma 30mm/F1.4 prime that I got used for about $300. It is a stellar lens for APS-C indoors and outdoors, just limiting for anyone used to the convenience of zooms.  I also really enjoy the Tokina 11-16/f2.8 -- It's my most expensive lens so far and I doubt that I'll ever sell that one unless I get a full frame one day.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

 TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
NAwlins Contrarian Senior Member • Posts: 1,522
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

My main camera and lens are the A580 and the Sony DT 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM, but unfortunately in the few weeks I've had the 16-50, I haven't had enough opportunity to rack up what I'd consider representative sample pictures. My initial / casual observations are that focusing is blazingly fast, and that optical performance is very good. The hood on mine was nearly impossible to install until I discovered the little trick of grabbing the top of the hood from in front of the camera (which I suspect tends to put a little downward pressure) instead of grabbing the sides of the hood from the rear (which is the way I've handled every other hood). The build quality seems very good, but not quite as high as the lens it replaced (see below).

In terms of comparisons, I never used the 18-55 that came with the A580 (when I bought it, the body-only version was not available). I'd gotten the original Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC to replace the Konica Minolta DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 that came with my Maxxum 5D--that lens was okay for 6 MP, but slow and not optically stellar. Anyway, I used the Sigma on the A580 before I got the 16-50. This Sigma is capable of excellent performance, and has superb build quality, and if my universe of pictures were ones taken on a tripod with magnified Focus Check Live View (which is really the way to get the best performance out of any lens), I'd have kept the Sigma. But the Sony's SSM focusing is a real advantage with my fast-moving kids, and the wider zoom range was a nice bonus.

Other normal-zoom lenses I've used in addition to the 18-70, Sigma 18-50, and 16-50, as a reference to my expectations:

Minolta AF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 D, on a film SLR--optically mediocre and slow;

Minolta AF 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 (original, big, metal), on a film SLR--optically good to often very good and mechanically solid, but not wide enough; and

Minolta AF 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 (original), on a film SLR and the two aforementioned DSLR's--optically good (but maybe not quite as good as the original 35-105), mechanically solid, convenient range on 35mm, and a lens I still have as an alternative for 'long normal' situations.

 NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Nikon Coolpix S30 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +6 more
Juice_22 Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

I'd like to see some samples. I was thinking of getting the 16-50 for my A55. Seeing how neither of these cameras have the Lens correction I wonder if it will perform as well.

TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,635
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

I just looked up the 16-50 lens on Dyxum and clicked the link for forum sample images. There are a few there taken with the a580 by a guy using the handle "Jeroon".  I suspect you could send him a private message to see more examples. I was going to invite him to post more here, but I am not a member on Dyxum and therefore cannot PM the folks there...

But somebody else could invite him!

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

 TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,635
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

There are some samples from the a55 with 16-50 on Dyxum - Try this link then scroll down to the photos from "robertsmx" -- his EXIF reveals the shots were from a55.

Dyxum lens samples for 16-50

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

 TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
OP clarkt Contributing Member • Posts: 713
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

Linzthom wrote:

I have the a580 and have the Tamron 17-50 on it. Very, very sharp and nice colour. I love the combination. The most over looked camera in the last few years, IMHO.

The Tamron is petty close. Can you share any pics with this combo?

I have another question about the a580:

I do a lot of glamour portraits and nudes with an a700. It's gotten to the point where I want more resolution. 16MP. I am not liking the IQ of what I am seeing in the SLT cameras so the only Sony DLSR upgrade for me would be the a580. I have spent hours scouring the web for sample 580 portraits. One thing that worries me about the 580: skin tones. They appear to be OFF with the 580. I haven't found a single portrait that I liked. None of them come close to the beautiful tones I am getting from my a700, no matter what lens I use.

You are a 580 owner so I ask you: is this my imagination? Please prove me wrong.

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

OP clarkt Contributing Member • Posts: 713
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

TheVoid wrote:

Yes, I have the a580. I bought it with the kit 18-55 lens but eventually sold off that lens. I've been sampling lenses ever since...I think my dream kit that I hope to eventually land on is the 16-50/2.8, the 85/2.8 prime, and the 70-400G, ...

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

Nice dream kit indeed!!!!

How do you like the 580 so far? What do you like best about it?

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

EarthQuake Senior Member • Posts: 2,382
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

clarkt wrote:

Can anyone offer any sample photos for this combo, or links to them? They seem to be few and far between in the web. Also, if you use this combo please comment on your experience. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

I've got an A580 and Tamron 17-50/2.8, which is a very nice lens, sharp, and small/light weight for its class.

Personally I wouldn't consider the Sony 16-50mm with an a580 because:

1. The Sony is more expensive, larger and heavier

2. The Sony is weather sealed, but the A580 isn't, so you're not getting that benefit.

3. The Sony has quiet focusing, which IMO is best for video and not essential for stills. The A580 doesn't AF in video mode anyway, so again, you're not really getting that benefit.

I think the Sony makes loads of sense paired with the A77. For the A580? I would save $300 and buy a used Tamron. For around the cost of the Sony 16-50, you can pick up a used Tamron 11-18mm and 17-50mm, just something to consider.

OP clarkt Contributing Member • Posts: 713
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

EarthQuake wrote:

clarkt wrote:

Can anyone offer any sample photos for this combo, or links to them? They seem to be few and far between in the web. Also, if you use this combo please comment on your experience. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

I've got an A580 and Tamron 17-50/2.8, which is a very nice lens, sharp, and small/light weight for its class.

Personally I wouldn't consider the Sony 16-50mm with an a580 because:

1. The Sony is more expensive, larger and heavier

2. The Sony is weather sealed, but the A580 isn't, so you're not getting that benefit.

3. The Sony has quiet focusing, which IMO is best for video and not essential for stills. The A580 doesn't AF in video mode anyway, so again, you're not really getting that benefit.

I think the Sony makes loads of sense paired with the A77. For the A580? I would save $300 and buy a used Tamron. For around the cost of the Sony 16-50, you can pick up a used Tamron 11-18mm and 17-50mm, just something to consider.

Good points. Thanks for that.

What do you like or dislike about the 580 body?

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,635
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

I really like the multi-frame noise reduction and live view with level & focus zoom for landscape/cityscape work.  I think the focus peaking on the a77 might be better though, from what I've read.

And I like that I probably own Sony's last true DSLR. I debated heavily between the a580 and the a55 when they were both new on the market and the a55 got all the press coverage and honors for being revolutionary, but the a580 felt better in my hands and balances nicely with most lenses I've put on it. It also didn't look ridiculous with a rented 70-400G -- quite a nice combo actually.

Interesting that you pointed out the skin tones -- I have run into issues with that as well, but I blame it on my white balance settings and not the camera. If you are shooting in a studio or controlled light environment I think the camera is flexible enough to fine tune to your liking; in any event that's one thing you have quite a lot of control in with PP also, especially if you shoot RAW.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

 TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
EarthQuake Senior Member • Posts: 2,382
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

clarkt wrote:

EarthQuake wrote:

clarkt wrote:

Can anyone offer any sample photos for this combo, or links to them? They seem to be few and far between in the web. Also, if you use this combo please comment on your experience. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

I've got an A580 and Tamron 17-50/2.8, which is a very nice lens, sharp, and small/light weight for its class.

Personally I wouldn't consider the Sony 16-50mm with an a580 because:

1. The Sony is more expensive, larger and heavier

2. The Sony is weather sealed, but the A580 isn't, so you're not getting that benefit.

3. The Sony has quiet focusing, which IMO is best for video and not essential for stills. The A580 doesn't AF in video mode anyway, so again, you're not really getting that benefit.

I think the Sony makes loads of sense paired with the A77. For the A580? I would save $300 and buy a used Tamron. For around the cost of the Sony 16-50, you can pick up a used Tamron 11-18mm and 17-50mm, just something to consider.

Good points. Thanks for that.

What do you like or dislike about the 580 body?

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

The biggest things I dislike about the A580 are handling and controls. Specifically, much like most entry-mid level DSLRs, it doesn't have a second control wheel, and it doesn't have enough external controls for things like metering mode etc.

That's comparing to my A900 though, the A580 is a great camera in its class as far as controls and ergonomics go, I just wish Sony/Nikon/Canon would do like Pentax does and actually give you a second control dial on cameras less than $1000.

No micro-af adjustment is also a pain. I've owned 4 A5XX(A500, 2x A560, A580) bodies and 3 of them needed to be manually adjusted by opening the little area near the tripod mount and adjusting the screws to get reliable AF with fast primes. Again this is something that is typical of this class of camera(no Micro AF adjustment), though the QC as far as front/back focusing goes seems to be pretty bad on a5XX cameras.

razvu Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

I have this combo for sale. I went full frame and don't use it anymore. IQ is very good. There is no back focus on my a580. I also have a vertical grip for it, a 16gb memory stick and a wireless remote. If someone is interested to buy it, I can dig for some shots.

 razvu's gear list:razvu's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +5 more
OP clarkt Contributing Member • Posts: 713
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

razvu wrote:

I have this combo for sale. I went full frame and don't use it anymore. IQ is very good. There is no back focus on my a580. I also have a vertical grip for it, a 16gb memory stick and a wireless remote. If someone is interested to buy it, I can dig for some shots.

I'm interested.

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

OP clarkt Contributing Member • Posts: 713
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

No micro-af adjustment is also a pain. I've owned 4 A5XX(A500, 2x A560, A580) bodies and 3 of them needed to be manually adjusted by opening the little area near the tripod mount and adjusting the screws to get reliable AF with fast primes. Again this is something that is typical of this class of camera(no Micro AF adjustment), though the QC as far as front/back focusing goes seems to be pretty bad on a5XX cameras.

I downloaded the a580 user manual from Sony. There is no mention of the micro-af adjustment. Please clarify.

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

walking dude Contributing Member • Posts: 670
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

clarkt wrote:

No micro-af adjustment is also a pain. I've owned 4 A5XX(A500, 2x A560, A580) bodies and 3 of them needed to be manually adjusted by opening the little area near the tripod mount and adjusting the screws to get reliable AF with fast primes. Again this is something that is typical of this class of camera(no Micro AF adjustment), though the QC as far as front/back focusing goes seems to be pretty bad on a5XX cameras.

I downloaded the a580 user manual from Sony. There is no mention of the micro-af adjustment. Please clarify.

Read this post by zackiedawg. He explains the procedure.....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41668664

 walking dude's gear list:walking dude's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended
razvu Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: a580 + Sony 16-50/2.8 samples needed

I just sent you a PM with a link to my Dropbox.

 razvu's gear list:razvu's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads