Please post 6 favorite Sigma shots you have taken...

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions
OP Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 37,169
Re: I have trouble selecting only 6

From this set of shots, shot #4 (house / green/forest) is my favorite. I wonder how it would look if the contrast was a bit further increased and the person could be in some other positions but I like the "painted from a child's story book" aspect to it.

Thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Re: Please post 6 favorite Sigma shots you have taken...

The last three shots are my favorites, and *by far* the last one. I think the last one is great. Great view, composition, color, angle, "windy moment."   I saw this photo won one of the challenges before I think?

Very very nice. Where was that place? And where were you when you took the shot?

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

The woman with the dress the same color as the other areas in the photo and the last one with the kid are my favorite here.  I like the colors of the dress the same as the metal bars all over. Would be interesting to see a sequence of shots that way such arrangement.

The kid for the light/moment.

-- hide signature --

#1 and #5 are my favorites, probably #1.  Seems really odd (in a good way) to see the binocular thing in front and the guy using one in the back for some reason.

#5 for the colors, space.

-- hide signature --

I like the first two and last two. Would have wished to have the highlight preserve in the first but still interesting.

Where is this place you live in? Seems like a mixture of "abandoned stuff", maybe some lake/beach weather and a few other attractions.  I also like B&W.

-- hide signature --

EWR72 Regular Member • Posts: 347

Hi Ricardo, thanks for the comments. I live in Lanzarote, one of the Canary Islands, with a volcanic landscape and rocky coastline in most parts. This time of year is my favourite time for photography as there are some great clouds in the sky to add drama to landscape/seascape images. Regards, Evan:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76980420@N02/
http://lightoflanzarote.wordpress.com/

EWR72's gear list:EWR72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP1s Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 +7 more
DPortier
DPortier Contributing Member • Posts: 604

Nice thread.

I recently posted some of my favorites (though from 2012 only) here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50528457

-- hide signature --
zodiacfml Contributing Member • Posts: 544

jozhua wrote:

Hope to see your photos! I do not think there are many pinoys with Sigma cameras around. I could be wrong of course. I'm sure there are many with lenses. Sigma dp1s is tricky to use and frustrating at times, but I just love the images it produces. Something far unique unto it. though I think many of my shots have been oversharpened.

Thanks! Like you, this is my first camera as I purchased the DP2 with money from my pocket. I'm convinced how different and a bit better it is in image quality. Right, as we have to import this and throw warranty away. I used to hangout at DPP forums and only saw one pinoy with a DP1 and he lives abroad.  Indeed it is unique.  Until now, I'm still not sure why but it's probably due the combination of small but many factors contributing to that image quality.  One thing I still don't like is the battery life. I have 4 batteries for this thing.

These are not pretty but I chose them which I think uses most of Foveon's attributes primarily the low noise at base ISO and smooth highlights.

zodiacfml's gear list:zodiacfml's gear list
Sigma DP2
SigmaChrome Forum Pro • Posts: 10,305

Raist3d wrote:

Yes, I like that one more (the B&W). Imagine now the other shot with the kid but with this B&W. I think I would like it much more, may be worth the experiment.

Could be...

Where is this? Is this like a known location where people go to the river to bathe?

It was shot in Noosa, Queensland. And, no, this is the only time I have ever seen anyone swimming there. The little girl's mother takes her daughter there to paddle about and play with the imaginary creatures in the tree (which has a large hollow in it).

-- hide signature --
 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro +25 more
SandyF Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941
Re: I have trouble selecting only 6

Here's the secret of that shot: my Mother was in that specific place and position because she was holding onto her 'walker'with one hand, which was behind the bushes from my (photographer) perspective.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +7 more
aquapell Regular Member • Posts: 401

Thanks!

aquapell's gear list:aquapell's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sigma SD1 Merrill +12 more
aquapell Regular Member • Posts: 401

shot with sd9,14 and 15;

aquapell's gear list:aquapell's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sigma SD1 Merrill +12 more
zodiacfml Contributing Member • Posts: 544

I liked the portrait of the girl, so natural and real.

zodiacfml's gear list:zodiacfml's gear list
Sigma DP2
pschia Senior Member • Posts: 1,342
Re: A few of mine...

Raist3d wrote:

Nice! I have seen your cat shot before and I think the last shot. But very nice. I like the first for variety of colors and objects that may suggest some area, and the balloon shot- wow. Where you on a balloon yourself? I am scared of heights!

Thanks.

I think the place the first pic suggest is quite obvious.

And yes, I was in another balloon at the time. Luckily I'm not scared of height as it is the best way to take in the scenery of that spectacular location. That frightfully costly balloon ride was the highlight of the entire trip.

pschia's gear list:pschia's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D750

pschia wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Nice! I have seen your cat shot before and I think the last shot. But very nice. I like the first for variety of colors and objects that may suggest some area, and the balloon shot- wow. Where you on a balloon yourself? I am scared of heights!

Thanks.

LOL you are right I must have been really tired when I wrote that.

And yes, I was in another balloon at the time. Luckily I'm not scared of height as it is the best way to take in the scenery of that spectacular location. That frightfully costly balloon ride was the highlight of the entire trip.

Where was this again?  Istanbul Ricardo... Istanbul...

-- hide signature --

pschia Senior Member • Posts: 1,342

Raist3d wrote:

pschia wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Thanks.

LOL you are right I must have been really tired when I wrote that.

Where was this again? Istanbul Ricardo... Istanbul...

The 1st pic? Yes, it's in Istanbul... more specifically, the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.

If you're referring about the location of the balloon ride, it's Cappadocia, Turkey. Spectacular, out-of-this-world sceneries there.

-- hide signature --

pschia's gear list:pschia's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D750
Chunsum J Choi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,432

yeah. they did for the SD14.

-- hide signature --

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept." -Ansel Adams
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr (Sigma Users Gallery)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chunsum
http://500px.com/chunsum
http://www.pbase.com/chunsum

Chunsum J Choi's gear list:Chunsum J Choi's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill +1 more
Paul Petersen
Paul Petersen Senior Member • Posts: 1,295
Re: here's a few- fun to look back over the years

Your thunderhead shot is a real classic!

Pete

-- hide signature --

A bad day of train chasing is better than a good day at work.
http://peterzpicts.smugmug.com/

Paul Petersen's gear list:Paul Petersen's gear list
Sigma SD14 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +2 more

DPortier wrote:

Nice thread.

I recently posted some of my favorites (though from 2012 only) here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50528457

Like a lot of your shots. The first with the bird Nd the one where people are looking at a lot of balloons almost looks like they are looking at moons and planets

-- hide signature --

Really like the shot of the house and clouds. Surreal

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads