Slow Slow Slow....

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions
RuthC
RuthC Contributing Member • Posts: 606
Slow Slow Slow....

Is it just my computer, (which is usually very speedy), or are others having difficulty since DPR changed servers yesterday; to scroll down the main challenges page, or to access any of the challenges? It is taking more than a minute or two to do any of these seemingly routine actions. Very frustrating and tedious. Grrr!

Images by Kipper Regular Member • Posts: 122
Re: Slow Slow Slow....

Very....very....s..l..o..w here in Ottawa

Images by Kipper's gear list:Images by Kipper's gear list
Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Mike Ronesia
Mike Ronesia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,034

Bad here the last few days. Can't even load it at work, but the home internet is faster and it does load, although slow.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sigma sd Quattro +12 more
vgabor Forum Member • Posts: 63

It’s a disaster with my configuration.

In the last days I simply can’t access the challenges (after waiting more than 5 minutes):
- CPU usage = 100% --> my whole computer stops practically. I have to close my firefox with the task manager to be able to do something else
- according to the task manager the firefox is not responding
- a script on the site is not responding.
Other parts of dpr (forum, news) seems to be working normal.

bluemoonman Regular Member • Posts: 468

Here in the uk its Slow Slow Slow in the Snow Snow Snow.

sveper
sveper Junior Member • Posts: 44

Same here. Everthing freeze and I had to alt-ctrl-del to exit FF.

sveper's gear list:sveper's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Joe Huckleberry Regular Member • Posts: 163

the forum pages seem to respond in heir usual slow way, but the challenge pages (not this forum) are unusable.

Joe Huckleberry's gear list:Joe Huckleberry's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +11 more
RuthC
OP RuthC Contributing Member • Posts: 606

Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess I'll take up knitting, or watching paint dry while I wait wait wait.

Mulberry Regular Member • Posts: 218

Same here. The Challenge Home page just grinds my entire PC to a halt.

One workaround seems to be to go the specific part of the challenge directly from the Challenge drop-down menu. Each section (Open for submission, open for voting, completed challenges, announced challenges) work just as fast or as slow !) as they ever did.

regards

Mulberry

Mulberry's gear list:Mulberry's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +3 more
sveper
sveper Junior Member • Posts: 44

Even that seems not to work. I can only see first page 1/3

sveper's gear list:sveper's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Mulberry Regular Member • Posts: 218

sveper wrote:

Even that seems not to work. I can only see first page 1/3

Try scrolling up to the top and changing page there, rather than at the bottom of the page.

At the top, if you hover your curser over the "page 1" indicator, it should show options for pages 2 or 3.

Mulberry's gear list:Mulberry's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +3 more
Deleted pending purge Senior Member • Posts: 1,197

RuthC wrote:

Is it just my computer, (which is usually very speedy), or are others having difficulty since DPR changed servers yesterday; to scroll down the main challenges page, or to access any of the challenges? It is taking more than a minute or two to do any of these seemingly routine actions. Very frustrating and tedious. Grrr!

Yes, it's slower than ever. Actually, it takes forever to load, there is myriad of things it seems to transfer. Then it's finally transferred, whatever it was, and from then on it seems to work normally.

Best not to get upset, it's just another in the endless line of botttlenecks in the internet. It's bound to get better (but don't ask how)!

This reminds me somehow of an old joke.

A man is pushing a pram with the kid inside which hollers incessantly.

Man keeps repeating: "Calm down, Matthew, calm down..."

Woman passing by: "What's wrong with little Matthew?"

Man: "He's not Matthew. I'm Matthew..."

-- hide signature --

Fil

Slynky Senior Member • Posts: 2,434
FAST FAST FAST...

RuthC wrote:

Not sure what's going on or if it just got fixed but DPR is faster than I've ever seen it.

Every post here popped up within a second for me to read. I tried the challenge page and the whole thing popped up in less than about 2 seconds. Scrolling no problem.

Or am I missing something...?

-- hide signature --

/A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life"./
(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Pat Curley Senior Member • Posts: 1,065
Re: FAST FAST FAST...

Slynky wrote:

RuthC wrote:

Not sure what's going on or if it just got fixed but DPR is faster than I've ever seen it.

Every post here popped up within a second for me to read. I tried the challenge page and the whole thing popped up in less than about 2 seconds. Scrolling no problem.

Or am I missing something...?

-- hide signature --

/A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life"./
(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Nope, I had the same problem up to about 10 hours ago.   Now normal service (or better) seems to have resumed.   Let's hope it stays that way!

ws1967 Senior Member • Posts: 1,054

yesterday it was impossible to enter members-area at all - now everything is fine and really fast!

May it stay like this!!

ws1967's gear list:ws1967's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
vgabor Forum Member • Posts: 63

It's working for now.

Pennyanne Senior Member • Posts: 1,933

terrible - load  a  challenge page of pohotos, for example, and all I get is black squares.

-- hide signature --

Pennyanne

Pennyanne's gear list:Pennyanne's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1
Deleted pending purge Senior Member • Posts: 1,197

Happy to announce, it's up to normal speed for me now. Maybe it took some time to gather all the new cookies.

-- hide signature --

Fil

Images by Kipper Regular Member • Posts: 122

Nice to see, all back to normal here!

Images by Kipper's gear list:Images by Kipper's gear list
Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads