sx50 lower light condtions

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions
Kurt W
Kurt W Regular Member • Posts: 494
sx50 lower light condtions

Got the images but what can i do to improve the lower light shots besides take them before the sun sets

VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 5,947
Re: sx50 lower light condtions

Kurt,

As seen in my recent post of a female cardinal taken after the sun had set, I struggle with the same question when capturing images of wildlife. As you already know from your eagle and other avian images posted, the SX50 does best with wildlife when there's a good amount of light. Since a longer focal length with its slow aperture is going to cause either a slow shutter or high ISO, both of which can easily degrade the details we prize most with wildlife images, we will continue to have that struggle. Sometimes a tripod will help when practical. Sometimes we'll get lucky and have enough good bones in the image to get something usuable from post, like my female cardinal. And sometimes we'll just try to get the shot, even using different exposures when timing allows, and the camera will have the reach but just not the light. I don't think there's one magic bullet that always works in these conditions with this camera. But that won't stop me when I see something I think may be worth the effort to capture, like your owl. Always better to give it a try.

By the way, nice following of the owl in flight.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
Lewis Regular Member • Posts: 206

Kurt W wrote:

Got the images but what can i do to improve the lower light shots besides take them before the sun sets

First, congrats on your barn owl shots, including one in flight. Though not great IQ, all 3 images do provide adequate detail for species identification purposes.

Second, you provided the best answer for improving IQ--add more light, preferably from the sun.

But, when it's overcast or late/early in the day, and the bird is there.... Well, then, it's a juggling act with the big 3 variables: ISO, shutter, aperture choices all in play to produce the magic X of the best  exposure possible given the low light conditions. Can you train your owls to do more work in bright sun?

Auto setting will make all the choices for you, but you may not like the noise from a very high ISO decision Auto makes for you or a shutter speed too slow to stop movement.  The Sports Mode setting will also make the choices for you, adding higher shutter speed  to stop motion; this, of course, brings with it a high ISO and the noise issue again. I've seen some very acceptable SX50 images at ISO 800, and if you need the shot, even higher ISO might be ok versus NO shot at all.

Finally, you could use C1 or C2 to define some custom settings for low light conditions with some control over the big 3 (widest possible aperture won't degrade IQ much--if any-- at all in my experience), with ISO and shutter being the most critical. Fast enough to stop movement, ISO high enough to allow what shutter you chose with IQ acceptable for your purposes.

One more finally. Some levels adjustment in pp might help a bit. But there is no good substitute for good light and the right exposure to capture it. But you already knew that, yes?   Still, envious of your barn owl capture.

Lewis

Lewis's gear list:Lewis's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +3 more
rava777
rava777 Regular Member • Posts: 387

Looks to me as they are not focused or camera shake.

At those shutter speeds you need to keep the camera rock steady or select tv mode and up the shutter.

A similar photo I only took yesterday came out well,but remember to snap plenty as not all will be worthy.

Sorry it was this one I meant:

rava777's gear list:rava777's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 VI
rava777

Love the owl in flight shot.

I just gave it a bit of a tidy up in CS5:

Endeavor21
Endeavor21 Contributing Member • Posts: 783

wow rava777, great job! Love that owl.

Endeavor21's gear list:Endeavor21's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,073

Kurt,

Nice catches!  Photo #1 is definitely a keeper with a little post processing.  I took the liberty to do a little work in PSCS5--mostly a duplicate layer with 80% multiply mode.

Kurt's owl photo with a little post processing

Murry

-- hide signature --
rava777

MurryG wrote:

Kurt,

Nice catches! Photo #1 is definitely a keeper with a little post processing. I took the liberty to do a little work in PSCS5--mostly a duplicate layer with 80% multiply mode.

Kurt's owl photo with a little post processing

Murry

WOW! , Murray..way better than me.

You wouldn't like to have a go at the owl in flight photo too by any chance?

Kurt W
OP Kurt W Regular Member • Posts: 494

VisionLight wrote:

Kurt,

As seen in my recent post of a female cardinal taken after the sun had set, I struggle with the same question when capturing images of wildlife. As you already know from your eagle and other avian images posted, the SX50 does best with wildlife when there's a good amount of light. Since a longer focal length with its slow aperture is going to cause either a slow shutter or high ISO, both of which can easily degrade the details we prize most with wildlife images, we will continue to have that struggle. Sometimes a tripod will help when practical. Sometimes we'll get lucky and have enough good bones in the image to get something usuable from post, like my female cardinal. And sometimes we'll just try to get the shot, even using different exposures when timing allows, and the camera will have the reach but just not the light. I don't think there's one magic bullet that always works in these conditions with this camera. But that won't stop me when I see something I think may be worth the effort to capture, like your owl. Always better to give it a try.

By the way, nice following of the owl in flight.

Vision

Thanks I read that now I guess it is what it is and i wont quit shooting after sunset Just work with it and get the best i can I was hoping there was a magic setting tho ha ha

Kurt W

Lewis wrote:

Kurt W wrote:

First, congrats on your barn owl shots, including one in flight. Though not great IQ, all 3 images do provide adequate detail for species identification purposes.

Second, you provided the best answer for improving IQ--add more light, preferably from the sun.

But, when it's overcast or late/early in the day, and the bird is there.... Well, then, it's a juggling act with the big 3 variables: ISO, shutter, aperture choices all in play to produce the magic X of the best exposure possible given the low light conditions. Can you train your owls to do more work in bright sun?

Auto setting will make all the choices for you, but you may not like the noise from a very high ISO decision Auto makes for you or a shutter speed too slow to stop movement. The Sports Mode setting will also make the choices for you, adding higher shutter speed to stop motion; this, of course, brings with it a high ISO and the noise issue again. I've seen some very acceptable SX50 images at ISO 800, and if you need the shot, even higher ISO might be ok versus NO shot at all.

Finally, you could use C1 or C2 to define some custom settings for low light conditions with some control over the big 3 (widest possible aperture won't degrade IQ much--if any-- at all in my experience), with ISO and shutter being the most critical. Fast enough to stop movement, ISO high enough to allow what shutter you chose with IQ acceptable for your purposes.

One more finally. Some levels adjustment in pp might help a bit. But there is no good substitute for good light and the right exposure to capture it. But you already knew that, yes? Still, envious of your barn owl capture.

Lewis

Thankyou and i wish they would do a little more day work, we have a couple great horned owls but have never seen them in the daylight. i will work with in a little more in manual and see if i can come up with some setting to put in those spots, I will have to take a better look at the manual to better understand how to do that

Kurt W

rava777 wrote:

Looks to me as they are not focused or camera shake.

At those shutter speeds you need to keep the camera rock steady or select tv mode and up the shutter.

A similar photo I only took yesterday came out well,but remember to snap plenty as not all will be worthy.

Sorry it was this one I meant:

Those pics look really good and you could be right i was shooting hand held as the owl just came out of nowhere and i was on my way home. Im sure a tripod would have helped

Kurt W

Amazing what you guys can do in photoshop maybe its time to do a little processing when they come out of the camera, Is that stuff hard to learn ? and again thank you

VisionLight

rava777 wrote:

WOW! , Murray..way better than me.

I know you asked Murry, but thought I'd give it a try:

The owl is not balanced to the light in the picture, but this is more a demonstration. After getting the most you can out of the main subject, you can add back a little of the ambient color to not make the image look so processed.

Vision

Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
rava777

VisionLight wrote:

rava777 wrote:

The owl is not balanced to the light in the picture, but this is more a demonstration. After getting the most you can out of the main subject, you can add back a little of the ambient color to not make the image look so processed.

Vision

Great job there Vision and to Kurt's wonderful shot of this owl in flight.

bobp556 Forum Member • Posts: 59

Kurt,  I think with all cameras there is a point where you can't make it do miracles.  I do find that even in poor light I can get a record shot.  The below was taken at 04.00 today under street lighting using the Night Shot mode.  I changed it to B&W Infrared in PS Elements to get rid of the colour cast.  Not good as a photo but excellent as record shot and proof that I hadnt had too much to drink

Roe Deer on suburban front garden 'talking to a snowman'

VisionLight

rava777 wrote:

VisionLight wrote:

rava777 wrote:

Vision

Great job there Vision and to Kurt's wonderful shot of this owl in flight.

Your comment "Kurt's wonderful shot" reminded me that I should post this image from an outside source and not have it in my gallery. Been meaning to do that but keep forgetting. So here is the outside post:

I'm deleting the image from my gallery.

rava777

bobp556 wrote:

Kurt, I think with all cameras there is a point where you can't make it do miracles. I do find that even in poor light I can get a record shot. The below was taken at 04.00 today under street lighting using the Night Shot mode. I changed it to B&W Infrared in PS Elements to get rid of the colour cast. Not good as a photo but excellent as record shot and proof that I hadnt had too much to drink

Roe Deer on suburban front garden 'talking to a snowman'

A cracker Bob and yes the record's show it's true after all!

Looks like he's thinking of taking up driving lesson's ( the deer - not the snowman).

Kurt W

:-)VisionLight wrote:

rava777 wrote:

VisionLight wrote:

rava777 wrote:

Vision

Great job there Vision and to Kurt's wonderful shot of this owl in flight.

Your comment "Kurt's wonderful shot" reminded me that I should post this image from an outside source and not have it in my gallery. Been meaning to do that but keep forgetting. So here is the outside post:

I'm deleting the image from my gallery.

Its all good im here to share and learn so if anyone wants to keep it thats fine with me.

Kurt W

Bob that deer has a plan lol but that pic shows when you have to make somthing work out you can I wish there was a miracle burried some where in the menu, I stopped by the river on the way home and played with the maual setting and got kinda use to it so next time i can play around with it a little more under low light.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,073

Sure here a couple versions of Kurt's owl in flight.  Both have been cropped sp clarity may have suffered?  The first is the same technique as my first post.  The second is with a little pop added using Topaz Adjust 5.

Post in PSCS5 mostly duplicate layer with 60% opacity and owl brush back in at 100%

Same as above but with a little color pop added with Topaz Adjust 5

Murry

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads