Making Text Look Realistic

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions
stedders
stedders New Member • Posts: 15
Making Text Look Realistic

I have quite a lot of this sort of work coming up. 
– Take a product = remove existing text; 
– then replace it with proposed new text 
inevitably, as this is something that is being kicked about by various Marketing "bods" the text will go through dozens of revisions – so flexibility is important. 
Equally important though, is making the text look as realistic as I can, given that it needs to follow the shape of the can. I have seen a few different approaches applied to similar projects – spherizing, warping etc – I am just not sure what approach to take myself. 
Any suggestions on likely approaches to this? 
Two images attached. 
One is the blank product (a hairspray in this case) 
the second has the text on the front – in its basic format.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,868
Re: Making Text Look Realistic

stedders wrote:

I have quite a lot of this sort of work coming up.
– Take a product = remove existing text;
– then replace it with proposed new text
inevitably, as this is something that is being kicked about by various Marketing "bods" the text will go through dozens of revisions – so flexibility is important.
Equally important though, is making the text look as realistic as I can, given that it needs to follow the shape of the can. I have seen a few different approaches applied to similar projects – spherizing, warping etc – I am just not sure what approach to take myself.
Any suggestions on likely approaches to this?
Two images attached.
One is the blank product (a hairspray in this case)
the second has the text on the front – in its basic format.

Photoshop has many options to accomplish what you are trying to do.  The best option is the text warp tool, which is located in the middle of the text tool bar.

-- hide signature --

Slider44

Ralph Ramirez Veteran Member • Posts: 7,056

One way to make the lettering look realistic is as shown in the following tutorial, easy and you'll love the results............Ralph

http://planetphotoshop.com/graphic-on-mug.html

ProtoPhoto Contributing Member • Posts: 984

3D in Photoshop Extended CS6 would be best, which in a corporate environment I assume is your program?

ProtoPhoto's gear list:ProtoPhoto's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads