Problem with the lens 9-18 Oly

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions
astone Regular Member • Posts: 452
Problem with the lens 9-18 Oly

It was a sunny day. I took a number of shots with my OM-D and 9-18 Oly.  You can see a problem. 

astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
Bill Wallace Veteran Member • Posts: 6,979
Re: Problem with the lens 9-18 Oly

Well you're shooting right into the sun with I'm guessing no filters, that's a majority of the problem. Do you get lens flare  or those strange colors when shooting w/o the sun? If the lens exhibits normal behavior in all other conditions then you know what is causing it.

Havent encountered anything like that with my 9-18.

Bill

-- hide signature --

Bill Wallace
http://bwallace.zenfolio.com/
"Mister I ain't a boy no I'm a man
And I believe in a promised land"....

Bill Wallace's gear list:Bill Wallace's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +8 more
OP astone Regular Member • Posts: 452

Bill Wallace wrote:

Well you're shooting right into the sun with I'm guessing no filters, that's a majority of the problem. Do you get lens flare or those strange colors when shooting w/o the sun? If the lens exhibits normal behavior in all other conditions then you know what is causing it.

Havent encountered anything like that with my 9-18.

Bill

-- hide signature --

Bill Wallace
http://bwallace.zenfolio.com/
"Mister I ain't a boy no I'm a man
And I believe in a promised land"....

It happened only with this lens, no filter.  Sun was quite high, with 10 to 25 degrees horizontal angle.  Nothing like that when sun is off.

Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 33,619
Not surprising

This lens isn't known to be very problematic in the flare dept., and any lens would be challenged to some degree forcing the issue like this.

In a real-life situation including the a bright sun like that in the frame that would be avoided, the lens' front element would be shielded, or the composition and aperture would be adjusted to minimize the flare.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +11 more
Re: Not surprising

Bob Tullis wrote:

This lens isn't known to be very problematic in the flare dept., and any lens would be challenged to some degree forcing the issue like this.

In a real-life situation including the a bright sun like that in the frame that would be avoided, the lens' front element would be shielded, or the composition and aperture would be adjusted to minimize the flare.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

I understand the issue,  just wanted to demo this effect.

Chris Tofalos
Chris Tofalos Contributing Member • Posts: 655
Re: Not surprising

I've seen a similar sort of problem, although it was nearer the centre of the frame and, I think, caused by light bouncing from the sensor onto the rear element and back again.

I have the 9-18 and have never had such a problem (yet!)...

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 28,009
Normal for some lenses.

Just now tried my 9-18mm into the sun (sun inside the frame) with E-PL5 and same pattern with the small purple flare blob down low. For fun tried Sigma 19mm and absolutely no flare problems.

All lenses do something different.

I've even seen CG generated movies and cartoon movies where they ADD massive multiple flare patterns to try and make it look "real". Certainly a sad cliché situation, better if no flare at all.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
dav1dz Regular Member • Posts: 104

Any UWA directly shot into the sun will get you this effect. It's called lens flare. Buy a lens hood.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=article_012703

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 28,009
In the 'hood.

dav1dz wrote:

Any UWA directly shot into the sun will get you this effect. It's called lens flare. Buy a lens hood.

A lens hood does not do anything useful if the sun is in the frame like the OP and my not shown efforts. But anyone is slightly mad anyway to not use lens hoods for other reasons, like out of frame bright light interfering and for mechanical protection of the lens.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
sigala1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818
Lens flare normal, purple flare not so much

While lens flare is normal when shooting into the sun with a wide angle lens, the EM-5 has the distinct property of reflecting purple light around your image.

To fix this problem, buy an inexpensive Panasonic G3 to use with your wide angle lens.

Savas Kyprianides Veteran Member • Posts: 3,619
Re: Lens flare normal, purple flare not so much

sigala1 wrote:

While lens flare is normal when shooting into the sun with a wide angle lens, the EM-5 has the distinct property of reflecting purple light around your image.

To fix this problem, buy an inexpensive Panasonic G3 to use with your wide angle lens.

It's not limited to the Panasonic 7-14? I'll get the same if I buy the Olympus wide zoom on an OM-D?

dav1dz wrote:

All shots were taken with the lens hood LH-55B

Savas Kyprianides wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

It's not limited to the Panasonic 7-14? I'll get the same if I buy the Olympus wide zoom on an OM-D?

The main reason I placed these shots because over time I’ve seen here a lot of complains regarding Panasonic 7-14.  My lens-Oly 9-18 is not limited to same problems.

sigala1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818

Savas Kyprianides wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

Apparently the answer is no, it's NOT just limited to the Panasonic, based on those photos which were shown. But the 9-18 is said to produce less flare, so the purple flare doesn't show as often and is less visible.

But seriously, if you can afford either of these lenses, you can afford a cheap Panasonic backup body. There's usually one or two on sale real cheap at Amazon or other places like that.

amalric
amalric Forum Pro • Posts: 10,839

astone wrote:

dav1dz wrote:

All shots were taken with the lens hood LH-55B

Well I wish you wouldn't call it the 9-18 Oly, but the Micro one. The original 4/3 9-18 flares less when shot against the Sun, as I can witness.

And so you might see less reflections of the sensor. (Is it due to better telecentricity?)

A hood helps, but if you do want to include the sun in the picture, than a ND filter might solve the issue.

Am.

-- hide signature --
Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,868
well, well

I guess I shouldn't feel too bad about going with the 7-14... even the 9-18 has the purple problem on the OMD.  It would be nice to see the two back to back, but I doubt anyone has them both on hand.

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +25 more
Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,868

sigala1 wrote:

But seriously, if you can afford either of these lenses, you can afford a cheap Panasonic backup body. There's usually one or two on sale real cheap at Amazon or other places like that.

Not only that, but the GH1/GH2 have the multi-AR feature, which makes the most sense with wide angle lenses where slight changes in AR make a significant difference to horizontal/vertical FOV.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +25 more
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,466

astone wrote:

It was a sunny day. I took a number of shots with my OM-D and 9-18 Oly. You can see a problem.

Many thanks for posting these samples, which "nicely" confirm what was eventually concluded in this old and long thread about purple flare with the 7-14 on the E-M5, i.e., that flare from any lens, not just the 7-14, has a tendency to go purple on the E-M5 (and some other cameras). UWAs, like the 7-14 and 9-18 are for obvious reasons (very wide angles, short hoods, many lens elements) more likely to produce flare than other lenses. That's about it.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Savas Kyprianides Veteran Member • Posts: 3,619

Chez Wimpy wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

Not only that, but the GH1/GH2 have the multi-AR feature, which makes the most sense with wide angle lenses where slight changes in AR make a significant difference to horizontal/vertical FOV.

-- hide signature --

-CW

What's a multi-AR feature? What model Panny is a good one to look for?

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 33,619
Re: well, well

Chez Wimpy wrote:

I guess I shouldn't feel too bad about going with the 7-14... even the 9-18 has the purple problem on the OMD. It would be nice to see the two back to back, but I doubt anyone has them both on hand.

I have both, but haven't shot them side by side.   The Vario G 7-14 flares much easier, and the purple flare is much more distinct, richer, and intrusive.   Purple flare aside, here's a curious result with the 7-14. . . just out of view was a cross walk sign, not quite shielded by the hood on the lens.   One of the reasons for getting the 7-14 related to this sort of objective, for the wider FOV.   I didn't get such results with previous exposures at this location with the 9-18.   FWIW

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads