PC-E 24 mm for Nikon D5100?

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions
jlstorb New Member • Posts: 2
PC-E 24 mm for Nikon D5100?

I  have a Nikon D5100 that I have really learned a lot with in the last year and a bit and have really gotten into landscape photography.  I have successfully sold a few photos to a stock agency as well. I am fascinated by the idea of being able to manipulate the horizon in my photos as well as having both the foreground and the background in focus.

Before I go spend $2K on this lense I want to know if it will meter through my camera and if it is compatible with the D5100 in general.  I know it won't autofocus which doesn't bother me, but I want to know what else it won't do with my camera.

jlstorb's gear list:jlstorb's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +6 more
Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
narddogg81 Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
Re: PC-E 24 mm for Nikon D5100?

jlstorb wrote:

I have a Nikon D5100 that I have really learned a lot with in the last year and a bit and have really gotten into landscape photography. I have successfully sold a few photos to a stock agency as well. I am fascinated by the idea of being able to manipulate the horizon in my photos as well as having both the foreground and the background in focus.

Before I go spend $2K on this lense I want to know if it will meter through my camera and if it is compatible with the D5100 in general. I know it won't autofocus which doesn't bother me, but I want to know what else it won't do with my camera.

i dont know anything about if the d5100 will meter.  i dont see why it wouldnt.  But you might want to see how the upcoming samyang 24mm 3.5 tilt shift turns out.  its likely to be less than half the price of the nikon.  im looking forward to it in march.  the few samples out look promising.

GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

It probably will work on the 5100/5200 to some degree.  The issue with that lens is that it might strike the internal flash overhang on those bodies with built-in flash vs. the D3/D4 that do not have the internal flash nor overhang.  Problem becomes apparent when you try and shift out too far while int he vertical orientation on some smaller bodies, as well as rotating and the control knobs hitting the overhang while doing so.

On my D7000 it will hit on rotating and on the full shift upwards.  On the D800E it won't hit on a full shift, but it will strike on rotating if I turn it the wrong way and the large knob is upwards.

Metering and using the AF green focus dot works okay on both unless it shift or tilt it too far and then the viewfinder info screen goes dark.  Luckily, one only needs maybe 2 degrees of tilt for items up to about feet out to infinity.  Side-to-side shift isn't an issue with either body.

Fwiw, I've used mine handheld on some things as I carry a card with the "degree and distance" info on it and set it up prior to shooting.

Mack

inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,611

I think that these are the tables that GMack is referring to: tables link

Tutorial including the normal technique for focusing when using tilt with tripod: focusing tilt shift lenses

The PC-E lenses are quite expensive and some have expressed some disappointment with the PC-E 24 with D800 so it might well be worth waiting to see how the Samyang does.

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Sony RX1R II Nikon D4 Nikon D850
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 30,456

inasir1971 wrote:

I think that these are the tables that GMack is referring to: tables link

Tutorial including the normal technique for focusing when using tilt with tripod: focusing tilt shift lenses

The PC-E lenses are quite expensive and some have expressed some disappointment with the PC-E 24 with D800 so it might well be worth waiting to see how the Samyang does.

Can you please elaborate on the disappointments you have heard about on the D800.

I am thinking of maybe getting a 24 PC-E lens for my D800E for the benefit of extra DOF etc. Do these lenses work well?

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

inasir1971 wrote:

I think that these are the tables that GMack is referring to: tables link

Yes.  That that is very table I carry for the 24mm PC-E at the bottom of that page link.  Good find!

I think the story goes that it is softer in the middle against the 14-24mm f/2/8 which is softer on the edge and sharper in the center.  Might be that the shift part of the PC-E needs a wider and flatter field so the sharpness was put more at the edges than the middle.  Dunno. Whatever it is, it is slight.

I use mine handheld more than on a tripod unless it is for some shift thing.  I shot an embroidery machine running at full speed with the thing handheld setting the initial table values above into it and firing the SB900 off the ceiling.  Seemed to catch most of the hoop sharp front-to-back (maybe 8 inches in depth and a foot away?) under magnification.

In use it takes much less shift or tilt than one imagines.  I started by going too much with that lens and now find 2 degrees is all I need - or less.  Not that hard to use once you figure the thing out for a day shooting with it.  If you ever used a 4x5 with all that stuff, it is much less on this thing and I suspect I over-reacted a lot initially with the controls and fought it.

Fun little lens to use too, and people really think you know what you are doing (ha!) and you must be a real pro too "Since it has so many knobs on it."  Guess one "Could charge more for looking like you know what you are doing."

One can always focus-stack too which may be a lot cheaper, but stuff like the above machine running would be hard to accomplish.

The Samyang may be interesting too whenever it appears.  It may be totally unseen to the AF system or exposure system, but who knows?

Mack

inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,611

GMack wrote:

In use it takes much less shift or tilt than one imagines. I started by going too much with that lens and now find 2 degrees is all I need - or less. Not that hard to use once you figure the thing out for a day shooting with it. If you ever used a 4x5 with all that stuff, it is much less on this thing and I suspect I over-reacted a lot initially with the controls and fought it.

Fun little lens to use too, and people really think you know what you are doing (ha!) and you must be a real pro too "Since it has so many knobs on it." Guess one "Could charge more for looking like you know what you are doing."

Totally! That's why I use my PC-E 45 as a 50. To add to the effect I sometimes pretend to be fiddling about with the knobs

One can always focus-stack too which may be a lot cheaper, but stuff like the above machine running would be hard to accomplish.

The Samyang may be interesting too whenever it appears. It may be totally unseen to the AF system or exposure system, but who knows?

Mack

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Sony RX1R II Nikon D4 Nikon D850
messengerphoto Junior Member • Posts: 26

I am fairly certain this lens will not fit on that body. I would rent one first and try it out.

Regards

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads