X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
widick Forum Member • Posts: 80
X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

I JUST PURCHASED AN X100.  I EXPECTED THE EVF IMAGE AND THE OVF IMAGE TO BE FAIRLY SIMILAR .  HOWEVER, WHEN I USE THE EVF THE IMAGE IS NOTHING LIKE THE IMAGE USING THE OVF.   AS AN EXAMPLE, BRIGHT WHITE CLOUDS AGAINST A BRIGHT BLUE SKY BECOME DULL GRAYISH CLOUDS AGAINST A DULL BLUE GRAY SKY. IS THIS A SETTING ISSUE OR A MALFUNCTION?  I HAVE BEEN USING F4 WITH ISO 200 AND A CAMERA SET SPPED OF 1/500.

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ehazera Senior Member • Posts: 2,309
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.
4

Please don't shout.

wetfop Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

ehazera wrote:

Please don't shout.

For goodness sake come into the real world!  It's not shouting, it's capital letters. Do you know the answer to the question or not?

Why not answer the question, with a polite note about forum etiquette. Looking back on previous posts it's obviously a mistake or hardware issue. Don't be so rude.

bugeyed
bugeyed Senior Member • Posts: 1,336
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.
2

wetfop wrote:

ehazera wrote:

Please don't shout.

For goodness sake come into the real world! It's not shouting, it's capital letters. Do you know the answer to the question or not?

Why not answer the question, with a polite note about forum etiquette. Looking back on previous posts it's obviously a mistake or hardware issue. Don't be so rude.

I thought it was kinda funny, not nearly as "rude" as your response!

Did you answer the question?

OP, not sure if it's normal. The OVF can be brighter in some daylight situations & darker in dim light. Have you adjusted the brightness?

kev

-- hide signature --

I just think that things should work the way I expect them to.

ehazera Senior Member • Posts: 2,309
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.
1

wetfop wrote:

ehazera wrote:

Please don't shout.

For goodness sake come into the real world! It's not shouting, it's capital letters. Do you know the answer to the question or not?

Why not answer the question, with a polite note about forum etiquette. Looking back on previous posts it's obviously a mistake or hardware issue. Don't be so rude.

When someone uses  all capital letters in a forum environment, it's called shouting.

Welcome to the real world.

widick OP Forum Member • Posts: 80
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT WETFOP, I HAVE SOME VISION ISSUES AND I FIND THAT IT HELPS IF I CAN SEE WHAT I AM TYPING.

wetfop Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

ehazera wrote:

wetfop wrote:

ehazera wrote:

Please don't shout.

For goodness sake come into the real world! It's not shouting, it's capital letters. Do you know the answer to the question or not?

Why not answer the question, with a polite note about forum etiquette. Looking back on previous posts it's obviously a mistake or hardware issue. Don't be so rude.

When someone uses all capital letters in a forum environment, it's called shouting.

Welcome to the real world.

Yes I do know that. And if you'd had the foresight to look at previous posts you would see that the OP does too. As I said why not answer the OP's question,, and then add a polite note to remind of forum etiquette. To simply reply about his/her etiquette is rude.

To bugeyed...if you think being rude is funny, well it takes all sorts.  And in case you couldn't understand my post I was taking to ehazera not the OP, so no I didn't answer the question.

Stephenbw
Stephenbw Senior Member • Posts: 2,513
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

wetfop wrote:

ehazera wrote:

wetfop wrote:

ehazera wrote:

Please don't shout.

For goodness sake come into the real world! It's not shouting, it's capital letters. Do you know the answer to the question or not?

Why not answer the question, with a polite note about forum etiquette. Looking back on previous posts it's obviously a mistake or hardware issue. Don't be so rude.

When someone uses all capital letters in a forum environment, it's called shouting.

Welcome to the real world.

Yes I do know that. And if you'd had the foresight to look at previous posts you would see that the OP does too. As I said why not answer the OP's question,, and then add a polite note to remind of forum etiquette. To simply reply about his/her etiquette is rude.

To bugeyed...if you think being rude is funny, well it takes all sorts. And in case you couldn't understand my post I was taking to ehazera not the OP, so no I didn't answer the question.

As you are new to the forums I have little to go on, so I will assume you were being deliberately ironic when you replied to a post simply about etiquette, to upbraid someone else for doing the same.

-- hide signature --

Stephen

 Stephenbw's gear list:Stephenbw's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-T1 +7 more
widick OP Forum Member • Posts: 80
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

I'd better go back to lower case so I don't excite the Capital police.  The only brightness control I can find works only for the LCD display ( goodness hope that's not too many capitals ).   Is there a control for the evf?  I've read the the x100 EVF was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I sure couldn't judge what kind of picture I would get through mine.  I also forgot to mention i was using aut white balance.

bugeyed
bugeyed Senior Member • Posts: 1,336
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

widick wrote:

I'd better go back to lower case so I don't excite the Capital police. The only brightness control I can find works only for the LCD display ( goodness hope that's not too many capitals ). Is there a control for the evf? I've read the the x100 EVF was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I sure couldn't judge what kind of picture I would get through mine. I also forgot to mention i was using aut white balance.

You may be right about the EVF brightness. I will check too.

BTW If you need to use CAPS because of your vision, be my guest. It is a bit harder to read, but better than those posts without punctuation!

CHEERS,
KEV

-- hide signature --

I just think that things should work the way I expect them to.

Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,564
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do. It's normal for an electronic viewfinder.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon PowerShot G7 X Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 +13 more
El Chubasco
El Chubasco Contributing Member • Posts: 538
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

widick wrote:

I JUST PURCHASED AN X100. I EXPECTED THE EVF IMAGE AND THE OVF IMAGE TO BE FAIRLY SIMILAR . HOWEVER, WHEN I USE THE EVF THE IMAGE IS NOTHING LIKE THE IMAGE USING THE OVF. AS AN EXAMPLE, BRIGHT WHITE CLOUDS AGAINST A BRIGHT BLUE SKY BECOME DULL GRAYISH CLOUDS AGAINST A DULL BLUE GRAY SKY. IS THIS A SETTING ISSUE OR A MALFUNCTION? I HAVE BEEN USING F4 WITH ISO 200 AND A CAMERA SET SPPED OF 1/500.

Your camera is OK. There is a noticeable difference between EVF and OVF, that is why many don't give up their DSLR cameras. The EVF is going to show a "preview" of the image that the camera will create, most of the time this image is very different to what you see through your eyes because the EVF is a tiny little screen with limited capabilities.  The hybrid viewfinder in the X100 is great but the EVF has its own limitations, nowadays  you can  find better options in the market.

As far as I know, people usually prefer the EVF for low light while the OVF is mostly used under regular light conditions.

 El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +13 more
wetfop Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

Not to upbraid about etiquette but about rudeness; there is a distinction.

No irony, deliberate or otherwise.

Widick...I've always found my X100's EVF (abbreviation spoken in a quiet hush!) To be reasonably accurate, but subtlety different to the OVF.  So can't really comment on your problem further. Hope someone can help.

widick OP Forum Member • Posts: 80
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

Thanks for the input.  You mentioned better options.  I'd be interested in your advice.

Stephenbw
Stephenbw Senior Member • Posts: 2,513
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

widick wrote:

I'd better go back to lower case so I don't excite the Capital police. The only brightness control I can find works only for the LCD display ( goodness hope that's not too many capitals ). Is there a control for the evf? I've read the the x100 EVF was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I sure couldn't judge what kind of picture I would get through mine. I also forgot to mention i was using aut white balance.

I don't have any problem with the brightness of my EVF although it can be increased. The settings and displays of the LCD and the EVF work independently of each other. You need to have the camera to your eye looking through the EVF when you adjust the brightness.

-- hide signature --

Stephen

 Stephenbw's gear list:Stephenbw's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-T1 +7 more
Photozopia
Photozopia Senior Member • Posts: 1,302
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

The X100 EVF view is not dissimilar to a projected image on a half-silvered mirror (because of it's hybrid optical/electronic construction) ... via a beam splitter and optical mask system ... hence the relatively low contrast/muted colours. Fuji website picture below:

bugeyed
bugeyed Senior Member • Posts: 1,336
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

Stephenbw wrote:

snip

I don't have any problem with the brightness of my EVF although it can be increased. The settings and displays of the LCD and the EVF work independently of each other. You need to have the camera to your eye looking through the EVF when you adjust the brightness.

-- hide signature --

Stephen

You are correct! I thought I noticed this, as I don't use the big LCD while shooting, so my focus was on the OVF & EVF when first setting up the camera. Mine is at 0, but it's nice to know that it's adjustable. Hope this helps the OP, if a vision problem can benefit from a brighter display.

kev

-- hide signature --

I just think that things should work the way I expect them to.

widick OP Forum Member • Posts: 80
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

Thanks for your input.

Stephenbw
Stephenbw Senior Member • Posts: 2,513
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

Has adjusting the EVF  brightness helped at all?

-- hide signature --

Stephen

 Stephenbw's gear list:Stephenbw's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-T1 +7 more
wetfop Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

Stephenbw wrote:

I don't have any problem with the brightness of my EVF although it can be increased. The settings and displays of the LCD and the EVF work independently of each other. You need to have the camera to your eye looking through the EVF when you adjust the brightness.

-- hide signature --

Stephen

Thanks for that, it is a big help. Hadn't realised it worked that way. I'd adjusted the LCD down and had assumed the EVF had gone down as well.

For what it's worth I have my LCD on -3 and now have the EVF on -4. Although I am indoors at the moment and can see maybe I'll make a change to brighter values when I'm out later on today.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads