Is it possible to sharpen just certain areas of an image?

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Questions
blogan Contributing Member • Posts: 683
Is it possible to sharpen just certain areas of an image?

I just read a post where the poster suggested to the OP to stop sharpening the sky. Is this possible to not sharpen the sky and sharpen other areas of the image? Or was he just taking about images with a lot of sky in them.

I'm using aperture by the way.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
goanna Contributing Member • Posts: 638
Re: Is it possible to sharpen just certain areas of an image?

I don't use apeture but I am sure it  is possible.

It is certainly very easy in LR4 and I could not imagine that it would not be very different for Aperture.

To not be able to exclude sharpening for the sky would be a major reason not to use the software.  For me it would be a pre-requisite for any photograph processing software.  And I understand that Aperture is a good product so if it omits the ability to exclude sharpening of the sky I would be very surprised.

goanna's gear list:goanna's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
Sunshine_boy
Sunshine_boy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,823

blogan wrote:

I just read a post where the poster suggested to the OP to stop sharpening the sky. Is this possible to not sharpen the sky and sharpen other areas of the image? Or was he just taking about images with a lot of sky in them.

To be able to sharpen certain areas only, you need to have layers and layer masks. I don't know if Aperture does. PS does and it's quite easy. Copy the original layer to a new layer, sharpen the new layer and then use a totally black mask over it. Paint with white on the mask, with a variety of opacities to get the required degree of sharpening over different areas from no sharpening (black on mask) to full sharpening (100% white opacity on the mask).

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
Visit my website for lots of pics and fun...
www.sunshine-web.com
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60 Nikon D5200 +2 more
gwlaw99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,113

Sunshine_boy wrote:

blogan wrote:

To be able to sharpen certain areas only, you need to have layers and layer masks. I don't know if Aperture does. PS does and it's quite easy. Copy the original layer to a new layer, sharpen the new layer and then use a totally black mask over it. Paint with white on the mask, with a variety of opacities to get the required degree of sharpening over different areas from no sharpening (black on mask) to full sharpening (100% white opacity on the mask).

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

You can also use adjustment brushes in Lightroom or ACR.  I don't think aperture has them

benross Contributing Member • Posts: 996

blogan wrote:

In Aperture, click on the brush icon on the tool bar below the main viewer window. From the drop-down you can choose  many adjustment functions and 'Sharpen' is one of them. Once selected you have floating window HUD that gives you more control on how you want to apply your sharpen brush, its size and its strength. It also has an eraser and 'feathering' option. You can also choose to have a colour overlay that shows where exactly you have brushed on the image.

First you choose certain strength for your brush, and when you finished, the adjustment is applied with that strength.Fine tuning that strength will be possible with the slider it leaves behind in Aperture Adjustment palette. From that Sharpen slider in Inspector Adjustments palette, you can also revive the sharpening brush, with its floating brush HUD and rework on the image.

OP blogan Contributing Member • Posts: 683

Thank you for that. I'll give it a try.

Sunshine_boy wrote:

blogan wrote:

To be able to sharpen certain areas only, you need to have layers and layer masks.

You do not have to have layers.

In LR in the Developmment module under sharpening, hold "ALT" key while adjusting the mask slider and presto. Sky instantly eliminated from sharpening much more quickly than layers in PS/PSP5X or adjustment brush in LR/ACR.

I don't know if Aperture does. PS does and it's quite easy. Copy the original layer to a new layer, sharpen the new layer and then use a totally black mask over it. Paint with white on the mask, with a variety of opacities to get the required degree of sharpening over different areas from no sharpening (black on mask) to full sharpening (100% white opacity on the mask).

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
Elimelech Forum Member • Posts: 89

In Photoshop you can sharpen areas that are only within the selected boundaries

MikeFromMesa Senior Member • Posts: 2,849

goanna wrote:

In LR in the Developmment module under sharpening, hold "ALT" key while adjusting the mask slider and presto. Sky instantly eliminated from sharpening much more quickly than layers in PS/PSP5X or adjustment brush in LR/ACR.

Forgive my ignorance but what, exactly, is the "mask slider" in LR4? Or are you referring to the sharpness slider under the masking controls?

I have been using LR for a year or more (LR3 and then LR4) and I never knew that it was possible for sharpen only part of an image without selecting part of the image and then using the masking controls so this is of great interest to me.

Hi Mike

Under the detail section when in the develop module there are three sections

1 X Sharpening

2 x Noise (Luminosity and Colour)

Hope I got that right, I am about 17 hrs by plane away from my PC and doing this on Android Tablet so I hope I remember the details.  As it is all automatic for me I may have forgotten the exact terminology.

So in the Sharpening section there are 4 sliders.

1 Amount

2 Radius

3 Detail

4 Masking.

If you hold down the "ALT" key while sliding the Masking slider you will see what parts of your photo are going to be sharpened.

The ALT key also works for the radius slider to help you decide the correct radius.

From memory it does not work for the detail slider.

Try it. It is my second favourite adjustment in LR after the Clarity slider.

This facility has been available since LR3 from memory.

Cheers

Graham

By the way it will only be available if old photos are update to >2011 Process

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,868

blogan wrote:

Depends on software you are using.  In Photoshop, you simply select the area (with a selection tool) and then sharpen, using the sharpening technique use.  I use High Pass Sharpening.

-- hide signature --

Slider44

Thank you. I have tried that and it works pretty much exactly as you said.

If I ever knew this I had forgotten it so I am grateful for your detailed post.

goanna wrote:

By the way it will only be available if old photos are update to >2011 Process

I  think you probably mean the 2012 Process.

Correct Mike

A little bit of senility setting in, I am an old codger, there was not a 2011 process was there?

I have a feeling though that it worked in LR3. So correct me if I am wrong, does that make it process 2010 perhaps.

I am in the UAE at the moment touring light with just my Android Tablet and do not have access to LR to check the detail.

Cheers

Graham

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads