100-300 or 75-300?

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Questions
digifan Senior Member • Posts: 2,320
Re: 75-300mm sharper and faster AF..

For birding that's a big plus. The downside is that you need good weather due to the fact it's slow (aperture) on the long end, but just a half stop compared to 100-300mm.

Also it is lighter.

-- hide signature --

Digifan

digifan's gear list:digifan's gear list
Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +10 more
Sigimini
Sigimini Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: Oly FT 70-300 (with adapter)

Sold my Pany 100-300. The Oly 70-300 (4/3) is quite a bit sharper. It hunts a little on the OMD but then locks solidly on target. A very fine inexpensive glass.

Sigimini's gear list:Sigimini's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Kevdog
Kevdog Senior Member • Posts: 1,412
Re: 100-300 or 75-300?

mchnz wrote:

Bob Greenberg wrote:

I use the em5 and 100-300, its quite good on larger or static birds but hunts too much for bif. I also usw the Panny 35-100 which is a beautiful lens, focuses more accurately, but of course is shorter. Can't wait for someone to come out with a high quality longer lens, perhaps since Oly discontinued the 75-300 the replacement will be good!

Bird Nerd

If you're in no hurry, it might pay to wait a little and see if the 75-300 is really being replaced. It would make sense for Olympus to try and make one with lighter faster focusing elements. Hopefully with a more reasonable price (but I would guess not).

My guess is that it's the same lens in a MKII version with weather-sealing and probably not much other differences.

Kevdog's gear list:Kevdog's gear list
Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,428
brain fart :-)

Kim Letkeman wrote:

sb123 wrote:

My experience is anecdotal and not experimental. So, if you don't believe it, but really want to know, try to test it for yourself. The difference is not small, and should be immediately clear.

That is really impressive. That the Oly can give up 1.5 stops at the long end and still focus significantly faster.

Oops .. 0.5 stops ...

Do you still have both? Why not set up a test and put it on video? That would answer the question permanently and become the standard reference.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
Evidence?

sorry,it's just an impression from what I've read, images I've seen... and I don't have several days to go back and sort through all of that to present you a nice neat package.

I do know my own 100-300 seems a little softer @ 300 than @ 100, but can't say I've done an extensive study to prove it.

I wouldn't base my decision based solely on that, however.

For a Panny user, the 100-300 is the best choice

Perhaps too for the PEN user if the IBIS isn't up to the task?

For the budget conscious, the 100-300 wins again

But on the OM-D, unlimited budget or where size trumps cost, the 75-300 would be my choice.

Hey, if the 75-300 is discontinued, where's the fire sale? 

(I don't think it is though)

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Kim Letkeman
finally found a real test ... and it contradicts the "common wisdom"

This fellow tested both and found the 100-300 to be sharper at all focal lengths and apertures.

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.ca/2012/05/panasonic-100-300-vs-olympus-75-300.html

He puts in a disclaimer that this test is for the specific pair of lenses that landed on his desk. And he further comments on the obvious -- that sample variation is often larger than the actual difference in sharpness between two different lens models ...

We should all take that as gospel ... in that arguing over a test of one pair of lenses is a bit silly, as sample variation ensures that it has no real meaning across the entire body of lenses out in the wild.

And that further implies that arguing over anecdotal impressions of one pair of lenses is simply insane

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
Sigimini
Sigimini Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: finally found a real test ... and it contradicts the "common wisdom"

There certainly is gear related "insanity" and categorically expressed views on this and other forums.  Curiously waiting for that test of these two lenses on an OMD, and not only on a Panasonic.  We should all keep in mind that "sample variations" are the results of a host of factors besides the lenses themselves.

Sigimini's gear list:Sigimini's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,446
Neither of them I think

Both lenses have got not too much of applauding reviews and they cost some money, especially the 75-300. As the 75-300 is discontinued a new lens probably will replace it rather soon, and thus I think it's wise to wait a little and until then use the very good and cheap 40-150 or a decent legacy lens if you need more length.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
zerlings Forum Member • Posts: 94
birding lens...

I have been thinking the same question too.  For me I am weighting these options:

1) Get the 4/3 Oly lens 50-200mm f2.8-4 with an adaptor.  It's cheap ($600 used), amazing image quality and relatively long reach (at 400mm).  But the downside is heavy and relatively slow AF

2) Wait for the un-announced Oly 70-300mm replacement as other mentioned.  But we don't know how long it is going to take.

3) Wait for the announced Panny 150mm f2.8.  They said the arrival date is 2013-2014.  I would expect amazing image quality.  But the downside is limited reach (300mm) and a long waiting time.

zerlings's gear list:zerlings's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony a7 III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +9 more
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,092
Re: birding lens...

zerlings wrote:

I have been thinking the same question too. For me I am weighting these options:

1) Get the 4/3 Oly lens 50-200mm f2.8-4 with an adaptor. It's cheap ($600 used), amazing image quality and relatively long reach (at 400mm). But the downside is heavy and relatively slow AF

2) Wait for the un-announced Oly 70-300mm replacement as other mentioned. But we don't know how long it is going to take.

3) Wait for the announced Panny 150mm f2.8. They said the arrival date is 2013-2014. I would expect amazing image quality. But the downside is limited reach (300mm) and a long waiting time.

I will continue using the 100-300 until there is a better solution that doesn't add significant weight.  I am not interested in less than 300mm so my wait could be long.

Unfortunately other solutions are not much better.  Canon has the 20 year old 400mm f5.6 or the 15 year old 100-400mm.  Optically these are not any better than the current m43 solutions.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,737

Nice pictures.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +6 more
Kim Letkeman
Re: finally found a real test ... and it contradicts the "common wisdom"

Sigimini wrote:

There certainly is gear related "insanity" and categorically expressed views on this and other forums. Curiously waiting for that test of these two lenses on an OMD, and not only on a Panasonic. We should all keep in mind that "sample variations" are the results of a host of factors besides the lenses themselves.

Well, I know what you mean to say, but sample variation means precisely what it says. That each lens will measure different depending on the quality of that particular sample. Assuming the same test conditions.

What I think you really meant is that there is more variation in the quality of the actual test methods and results than in the samples themselves and of course you are dead right. Most people cannot test their way out of a wet paper bag  By which I mean that few people really try to control all the variables and few use any real formalism while testing ...

Kim Letkeman
Re: birding lens...

zerlings wrote:

I have been thinking the same question too. For me I am weighting these options:

1) Get the 4/3 Oly lens 50-200mm f2.8-4 with an adaptor. It's cheap ($600 used), amazing image quality and relatively long reach (at 400mm). But the downside is heavy and relatively slow AF

I paid less than that for the 100-300 ... so I fail to see why dropping down to the 50-200 helps.

2) Wait for the un-announced Oly 70-300mm replacement as other mentioned. But we don't know how long it is going to take.

3) Wait for the announced Panny 150mm f2.8. They said the arrival date is 2013-2014. I would expect amazing image quality. But the downside is limited reach (300mm) and a long waiting time.

Again ... half the focal length ... how does that help with birding. Unless we are out hunting Ostrich?

Kim Letkeman
thanks
wildwilly
wildwilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,297
Samples from the 100-300
OP MikeSE25 Regular Member • Posts: 112

So how does one go about getting a good copy of either lens, as I am now quite certain that the quality of consumer grade zooms (in particular) varies considerably.

Kim Letkeman

MikeSE25 wrote:

So how does one go about getting a good copy of either lens, as I am now quite certain that the quality of consumer grade zooms (in particular) varies considerably.

I am convinced that the vast majority of these lenses is going to be good enough for most people. When they are bad, they are horrible. This was proven by that rental guy who tests every copy of most of the lenses he rents out, some of which are consumer grade lenses.

He showed a heavy cluster of adequate lenses and the few outliers that were so bad that anyone would return them. So be confident and get the one you want.

Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468

MikeSE25 wrote:

So am I. The only solution I know of is trial and error. Buy the lens from a place where you can return it if you are not satisfied. Test it carefully immediately on arrival.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
dotborg Veteran Member • Posts: 8,499
Re: Evidence?

Art_P wrote:

sorry,it's just an impression from what I've read, images I've seen... and I don't have several days to go back and sort through all of that to present you a nice neat package.

I do know my own 100-300 seems a little softer @ 300 than @ 100, but can't say I've done an extensive study to prove it.

I wouldn't base my decision based solely on that, however.

For a Panny user, the 100-300 is the best choice

Perhaps too for the PEN user if the IBIS isn't up to the task?

For the budget conscious, the 100-300 wins again

But on the OM-D, unlimited budget or where size trumps cost, the 75-300 would be my choice.

Hey, if the 75-300 is discontinued, where's the fire sale?

(I don't think it is though)

I've heard a few people make this claim (that the Olympus is sharper than the Panasonic) but everyone who has said it only has one of the lenses (or neither). I've also never seen a side-by-side comparison of the two or even a review site that has tested both lenses. I honestly believe that the claim is made simply because the Olympus lens is so much more expensive.

Anyway, Olympus will very likely announce a replacement at CP+; hopefully it will have a bit brighter aperture range and a more reasonable price.

karlreed Senior Member • Posts: 1,931
Anyone used either for sports? 100-300 or 75-300?

I am a keen sports photographer, and currently use a D700 and 28-300mmVR, which works OK in well lit night athletics meetings.

Does anyone have experience with these lenses in a sports situation, where tracking matters?

I don't expect it to be competitive in say a tennis or football game, however, may be someon has tried it?

-- hide signature --

karl reed

karlreed's gear list:karlreed's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Nikon D200 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads