external mic on GH3

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Questions
powerdog Regular Member • Posts: 196
external mic on GH3

Is there anything unusual about the mic input on a GH3, or will any shotgun and XLR-3.5mm adapter be compatible?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
amtberg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,726
Re: external mic on GH3

powerdog wrote:

Is there anything unusual about the mic input on a GH3, or will any shotgun and XLR-3.5mm adapter be compatible?

It's a standard 3.5mm jack.

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 17,100
Anyone used a Rode Videomic Pro on a GH3? (nt)

no text

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +6 more
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001
Re: Anyone used a Rode Videomic Pro on a GH3? (nt)

Corkcampbell wrote:

no text

I used the Rode Stereo videomic pro on the GH-3. Nice mic.  I also bought an 11" Domke wrap to store the mic.

I really like the Domke wraps for padding.

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 17,100
Thanks. I'm not familiar with the stereo Videomic Pro.

I have the (more portable) Videomic Pro that came out about 18 months ago. I have been looking for a case for it, so will check out your suggestion; I'm using a felt lens bag now.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +6 more
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001
Re: Thanks. I'm not familiar with the stereo Videomic Pro.

Corkcampbell wrote:

I have the (more portable) Videomic Pro that came out about 18 months ago. I have been looking for a case for it, so will check out your suggestion; I'm using a felt lens bag now.

The domke lens wraps are velcro and you fold it around the item to create a pocket is how it works.

Just gives something so its protected in the camera bag that is not ridged.

Domke wraps are in different colors for color coding items.  Usually, grey, yellow, blue, red from memory. Got them at B&H photo and they average about $20.  In sizes 11", 15" and 19". The 15" inch can easily hold a GX-1 body only and I would guess the 19" the GX-1 with short lens like the 14-45.

I use the wraps if I ever travel inside a backpack for extra shock absorption. I do remove the camera gear from the wraps when actively shooting.  Just for quicker access but not a big deal to leave them.

Even if you don't like the wrap they are still useful.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads