Canon Pro 9000 Mark II Red Color Cast Help!?

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions
rudramel New Member • Posts: 3
Canon Pro 9000 Mark II Red Color Cast Help!?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I need help printing from my canon pro 9000 mark ii.

Every time i print from photoshop or lightroom, I keep getting a strong red color cast over the entire photo.

I have gone through many threads and followed everyones suggestions of fixing the color profiles so i have set everything to be sRGB color profile and still the same thing. I have cleaned the head and nozzle as well as changing the red ink in case it was giving out too much ink.

I am currently running OSX 10.8.2 on a macbook pro with 8gigs of ram.

Any help would be much obliged. Thank you

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,493
Re: Canon Pro 9000 Mark II Red Color Cast Help!?

rudramel wrote:

Hello everyone,

Every time i print from photoshop or lightroom, I keep getting a strong red color cast over the entire photo.

I have gone through many threads and followed everyones suggestions of fixing the color profiles so i have set everything to be sRGB color profile and still the same thing. I have cleaned the head and nozzle as well as changing the red ink in case it was giving out too much ink.

I have to tell you that before I even got past your title, I just knew you were on OSX.

There are many color cast and tons of weird odd problems posted in this forum that ultimately are attributed to some hidden setting in the MAC OS that Printer drivers simply do not get along with. You might need to disable Colorsync.

DigitalNut Regular Member • Posts: 151

Hi

OSX 10 has some issues with Canon print drivers however it sounds to me you are double profiling or just using the wrong settings. What application are you printing from and what are your print settings ? Adobe has a free print utility that bypasses all colour management the sole purpose to print ICC target tiffs. Adobe Colour Print Utility. Use this to see if you can print a ICC target file without any colour cast. The utility will automatically disable all colour management from the pro9000 driver. The only settings you make will be page size and paper type and print quality. This utility is very basic and should only be used for printing ICC targets with no colour management. If the target prints fine then at least you know its not a printer problem.

Tells us your settings

Peter.

Have you checked your print setup by printing a colour test chart. If not have a look at this web site scroll towards the bottom and you have a choice of many different test images.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/test_images.html

The media check image ( lots of small colour patches ) would be a good one with Adobe Print Utility to check your printer is working OK. Remember Adobe Print Utility is not for normal printing.

Peter.

Quote "I have gone through many threads and followed everyones suggestions of fixing the color profiles so i have set everything to be sRGB color profile and still the same thing."

Not sure I know what you mean here. If you are in Lightroom - print module  - colour management - setting this to sRGB then thats your problem. sRGB profile is a display profile not meant for printing. This setting should be set to 'managed by printer' or a 'ICC printer profile' for your paper/ink.

Peter.

OP rudramel New Member • Posts: 3

Thank you for all your help DigitalNut.

But after trying the Adobe Color utility as well as the test pages i still continue to get the red cast. I even tried printing from a pc running photoshop and still the same cast.

At this point I should assume this is a printer problem?

HI

Well that's a bummer. I take it you have a good nozzle check on your printer. If so do not know what else to suggest.

jtoolman

rudramel wrote:

But after trying the Adobe Color utility as well as the test pages i still continue to get the red cast. I even tried printing from a pc running photoshop and still the same cast.

Are you sure you have TURNED OFF Color management inside the PRO 9000 driver??

As you may know, you can't have both PS LR or any other app controlling your color through an ICC profiles IF,,,,,, you have not turned off color management within the printer driver.

If you have done that and your nozzle check is perfect, ALL colors are cleanly firing, then I am as stumped as you are.

Joe

Sal Baker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,995

rudramel wrote:

Did you print a nozzle test after clearing the head?  Are all nozzels perfect on the test print? This sounds so much like you have blocked channel which is causing the red shift.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

Fwiw, I know if I save an image in sRGB it shows up in Qimage Ultimate (sorry I'm using Windows 8 here) it shows as red in the QI viewer pane for some reason against one in some other saved color space.  All others I have in some Adobe, Nikon, Prophoto RGB show as normal in the same viewer pane, but the sRGB one is always very reddish.  I never have tried to print the sRGB one out of QI as it looks very wrong so I hit or save to a different color space for it.

There may be something in your Apple pre-loading a different profile unknown to you until too late.  I know if I call up Paint Shop Pro X5 at times, it wills set some other colorspace (to the monitor I think?) behind the scenes to me so I avoid using it against CS6, DxO, CaptureNX2, etc.

Aside, have you tried saving the image in another color space, Adobe 1998, for example, and tried printing it?

Mack

Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 13,496

GMack wrote:

Fwiw, I know if I save an image in sRGB it shows up in Qimage Ultimate (sorry I'm using Windows 8 here) it shows as red in the QI viewer pane for some reason against one in some other saved color space.

Are you referring to the Print View in Qimage (as Qimage Viewer). If so, this has basically "always" been like you describe since I don't believe the Print Preview is color managed. Anyway, I have been using Qimage over 10 years and it has been the same. I don't use the Ultimate issue. However, the printed images do NOT have the same "off color" you mention. They are excellent.

All others I have in some Adobe, Nikon, Prophoto RGB show as normal in the same viewer pane, but the sRGB one is always very reddish. I never have tried to print the sRGB one out of QI as it looks very wrong so I hit or save to a different color space for it.

There may be something in your Apple pre-loading a different profile unknown to you until too late. I know if I call up Paint Shop Pro X5 at times, it wills set some other colorspace (to the monitor I think?) behind the scenes to me so I avoid using it against CS6, DxO, CaptureNX2, etc.

Aside, have you tried saving the image in another color space, Adobe 1998, for example, and tried printing it?

Edit to add:  Has the OP viewed the recent video prepared by jtoolman for Canon Printers (not sure of the Model being used) but that may be helpful.  However, there seems to usually be different issues for MAC users that also use Epson or Canon printers.  I don't know why since I have never used a Mac.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Hi Joe

The problem with OSX 10.5 onwards is that for some unknown reason Canon print drivers no longer have the no colour management option. Interestingly Epson drivers still have this valuable option. Photoshop 5 and 6 also have removed the no colour management option from the print dialog. As a result Adobe provided us with the Adobe Print Utility so you can print ICC target files with all colour management disabled. When I use this utility with my pro9000 the colorsync and canon colour options are automatically greyed out, disabled. When I print from Lightroom, Aperture or CaptureOne using the application to manage colour then the driver automatically disables colorsync and canon color options. This is meant to make it fool proof, however I just find it annoying. So with OSX and Canon drivers there is no manual way of turning off colour management.

Sal Baker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,995

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

GMack wrote:

Fwiw, I know if I save an image in sRGB it shows up in Qimage Ultimate (sorry I'm using Windows 8 here) it shows as red in the QI viewer pane for some reason against one in some other saved color space.

Are you referring to the Print View in Qimage (as Qimage Viewer). If so, this has basically "always" been like you describe since I don't believe the Print Preview is color managed. Anyway, I have been using Qimage over 10 years and it has been the same. I don't use the Ultimate issue. However, the printed images do NOT have the same "off color" you mention. They are excellent.

All others I have in some Adobe, Nikon, Prophoto RGB show as normal in the same viewer pane, but the sRGB one is always very reddish. I never have tried to print the sRGB one out of QI as it looks very wrong so I hit or save to a different color space for it.

There may be something in your Apple pre-loading a different profile unknown to you until too late. I know if I call up Paint Shop Pro X5 at times, it wills set some other colorspace (to the monitor I think?) behind the scenes to me so I avoid using it against CS6, DxO, CaptureNX2, etc.

Edit to add: Has the OP viewed the recent video prepared by jtoolman for Canon Printers (not sure of the Model being used) but that may be helpful. However, there seems to usually be different issues for MAC users that also use Epson or Canon printers. I don't know why since I have never used a Mac.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

The OP had the same red issue printing with a Mac and a PC.  This sounds like a printer related problem.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 13,496

Sal Baker wrote:

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

GMack wrote:

Edit to add: Has the OP viewed the recent video prepared by jtoolman for Canon Printers (not sure of the Model being used) but that may be helpful. However, there seems to usually be different issues for MAC users that also use Epson or Canon printers. I don't know why since I have never used a Mac.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

The OP had the same red issue printing with a Mac and a PC. This sounds like a printer related problem.

Sal

Could be.  However, all areas would be best to review before such declaration.  I have not read all threads since I have never used Canon Printers (or MAC), I can not help with details for his issue.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

jtoolman

DigitalNut wrote:

Hi Joe

The problem with OSX 10.5 onwards is that for some unknown reason Canon print drivers no longer have the no colour management option. Interestingly Epson drivers still have this valuable option. Photoshop 5 and 6 also have removed the no colour management option from the print dialog. As a result Adobe provided us with the Adobe Print Utility so you can print ICC target files with all colour management disabled. When I use this utility with my pro9000 the colorsync and canon colour options are automatically greyed out, disabled. When I print from Lightroom, Aperture or CaptureOne using the application to manage colour then the driver automatically disables colorsync and canon color options. This is meant to make it fool proof, however I just find it annoying. So with OSX and Canon drivers there is no manual way of turning off colour management.

SACREWYYYYY!!!!!

OP rudramel New Member • Posts: 3

Thank you everyone for all your help. In the end i tried everyones suggestions and even though they may not have solved the problem i did learn a great deal about printing.

After days of trying i finally decided it may be the printer itself since when i printed text pages it always seemed the green and blue were weak. So i took out the printer head and cleaned it with alcohol and warm water for a hour and then let it dry for a few more.

In the end the red cast is gone, but now im out of yellow ink. Atleast my problem is solved.

Thanks again everyone!

jtoolman

rudramel wrote:

Thank you everyone for all your help. In the end i tried everyones suggestions and even though they may not have solved the problem i did learn a great deal about printing.

After days of trying i finally decided it may be the printer itself since when i printed text pages it always seemed the green and blue were weak. So i took out the printer head and cleaned it with alcohol and warm water for a hour and then let it dry for a few more.

In the end the red cast is gone, but now im out of yellow ink. Atleast my problem is solved.

Thanks again everyone!

OK so you have a channel or two clogged! You nozzle check was warning you of that problem long ago.

Print a full colors document every week or at least a nozzle check to prevent any more clogs.

The PRO 9000 MKII hardly EVER clogs so it really takes a lot of effort to cause it to clog.

Hclarkx Regular Member • Posts: 270
Canon Pro 9000 Mark II Red Cast: A solution for PC users

rudramel wrote:

Hello everyone,

For the benefit of others reading this thread .... As covered in several other threads, a very similar symptom is common, at least on the PC, and it is caused by the Canon driver. If print preview is turned on in the Canon driver, you may get a magenta cast in the prints, possibly quite severe. The only solution at this time seems to be to not use the print preview function. But, you MUST uncheck the print preview option and re-boot windows for the fix to work. Once you enable print preview, the problem will be with you until you uncheck the option and reboot.

Hclarkx's gear list:Hclarkx's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 28mm F3.5 Macro IS STM +1 more
ig88 New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Canon Pro 9000 Mark II Red Cast: A solution for PC users

(I am using a Windows 7 PC & printing from Adobe Photoshop CS2 v.9)

I have had this printer for a year to the day and have enjoyed the amazing prints it produces, and have burned through A LOT of ink printing photos and artwork. I've never had any problems with streaking or tinting, and like how whenever I print it shows the ink levels. Then, similar to what is mentioned here, all of a sudden color photos began printing with a red cast.

After seeking help online, I double-checked my color management properties. In Control Panel>Color Management everything is set to default. In Photoshop, I go to Edit>Color Settings and it is set to "North America General Purpose 2." These settings have not changed since I got the printer, so I don't imagine this would explain why it would suddenly start printing differently.

Figuring I must have a clogged nozzle, I followed these instructions  for removing & cleaning the printhead using a mixture of distilled water, ammonia & isopropyl alcohol. After flushing out the ink and allowing it time to try, I reinserted the print head and did a nozzle check (Devices & Printers>Canon Pro9000 II>right-click on Printing Preferences>Nozzle Check) and now noticed streaking in the PM bar. After running a clean & deep clean via Printing Preferences, it was still there so I took out the head again and repeated the flush cycle. I ran another test, now the Red nozzle shows streaks. Repeated the cycle again, now the green nozzle shows streaks. Repeated the cycle again (by now I have drained about 3/4 of the ink tanks) and finally no streaks on the nozzle check.

So after wasting about an entire week of flushing, cleaning, drying I replaced a couple of the ink tanks that were now empty and dared to try printing a photo. And it's still red.

Words cannot express my frustration with this thing and I'm about ready to retire it to a dumpster unless somebody on here has a solution I can try. 

Here is a demonstration of the results I am getting:

The top photo was printed with my now-broken Canon Pixma Pro 9000 II and the bottom with my ol' trusty HP Deskjet 5100.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, considering not only the hefty cost of this printer but the hundreds of dollars of ink I have had to purchase...:-(

magraff New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Canon Pro 9000 Mark II Red Cast: A solution for PC users

HI - did those with this Red issue ever get it resolved? I know one post said the print head was bad.  Mine is new, and the nozzle checks look great... but all my pics from lightroom are REDish badly, even though monitor and printer is custom calibrated by spyder elite printer.  Tried the pt-101 ics file, too - same red look.  Color management is turned OFF in the canon print driver - checked it MANY times.  Using canon paper & ink. No luck w/ anything I've tried - already looked sunburned!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads