help me buy a good slr camera

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Questions
jaison007 New Member • Posts: 12
help me buy a good slr camera

can anybody help me to buy a SLR camera. I am in entry level stage for SLR cameras.

Pls. help me.

ANSWER:
AlbertInFrance
AlbertInFrance Senior Member • Posts: 6,849
Re: help me buy a good slr camera

jaison007 wrote:

can anybody help me to buy a SLR camera. I am in entry level stage for SLR cameras.

Pls. help me.

Say what you want to do with it. Different cameras are good for different things.

Indoors, outdoors? People, wildlife? Landscape, architecture? Sports, kids, pets?

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
hedwards Regular Member • Posts: 268

What's your budget? For $1k, you could get a Canon EOS 60D with kit lens, I believe, but whether that's a good choice would also depend upon what you're planning to do with it.

But, ultimately, you're buying into a system of lenses and accessories which could easily dwarf the investment in the body.

Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 17,421

Canon, Nikon and Pentax all make good entry level DSLRs.  There aren't really any "bad" DSLRs.

There are now a lot of alternatives interchangeable lens cameras to DSLRs, especially if you want something smaller.  Some examples are in roughly decreasing size order:

• Sony SLT series and NEX series
  • Samsung NX series
  • Panasonic G and GF series, Olympus PEN series.
  • Nikon 1 series

and there are others from Fuji, Canon and Pentax.  You might want to start by going into a camera store and trying out a few cameras for size.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
ARShutterbug
ARShutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 8,966
Don't buy a camera

You sound very unsure of what you're doing, and of what you want to do with a camera.  You need to spend time reading books about photography, studying techniques, developing a plan for what you want to do with photography, and ensuring that you have the means to process and store your work.  Then you should start looking at lenses, and after you're satisfied that you have found the best lens system for yourself, start looking at camera bodies.

If you try it in reverse, you don't even have a chance. -M.I.A.

Bjorn_L
Bjorn_L Veteran Member • Posts: 5,770

jaison007 wrote:

Pls. help me.

Take a little time to think over what you want to shoot and how.  I know you have no experiance with the stuff but just use your imagination as best you can.

1. Is low light very important?

2. What about poor weather?

3. Sports or photos involving relatively fast movement?

4. Portability?  How sensitive are you with regards to weight of the kit?

5. Are you going to invest in a system and slowly add lenses and periferals or do you hope to manage this with 1 body and 1 "jack of all trades" lens?

6.  What about budget?    How much are you looking to spend initially?  Is used an option?

7. Are you interested enough to take the time to learn?  Or are you looking for a better photo by just spending more?

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D750 +19 more
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748

jaison007 wrote:

Pls. help me.

Good Morning Jason. I pretty much agree with everyone here. You need to let us know a budget. Then tell us what type of images you feel passionate about learning how to take. Do you want to be an artist or do you just want to record the moment for Facebook? Are you willing to spend the time and money needed to learn this craft and art? Are you willing to read the books and articles online needed to master exposure and such? Do you have a passion? Are you a technical type person or an artistic type? Could you learn the other?

When you buy an SLR, you're buying into a camera system as a tool for this craft. If you become passionate, you'll want more and better tools and accessories. Considering this system approach can make a big difference in what you choose to start out with.

Making the wrong decision now can be costly down the road. What this means is lookng past the goofy funzy features many entry level cameras have and looking closer at the type things that really contribute in helping you take better images. For example, art filters, sepia tones, built in HDR effects and so much more do not help you take better images. They are just toys. A quality pentaprism viewfinder, a good selection of lenses, solid support are things that can help you take better images.

Always remember, the most important feature to help you create compelling images is you, the photographer. That's the difference between a washed out crappy snapshot and a good significant image. That take time and creativity to learn how to achieve. You need to learn the science and the art of photography together with equal importance. That makes photography somewhat harder to learn well than some other forms of art. Remember always, that image is your creation if it is done well, not a slice or Xerox of reality.

You have to learn how to previsualize what you want before you start:

• Previsualize or conceptualize your creation
  • Set up everything at the right place and time to maximize your chances
  • Press the shutter button
  • Bring it alive at home in your digital darkroom (post production software)
  • Learn and try again

That's the path to success over just wandering around looking for a picture. God places a lot of those type images around, but you'd do better creating your own and trying to capture his. His are meant for your eyes.

So answer some of the above questions and many of us will give their opinions as to a good strarter camera and lens. My idea would be to start with just one lens and one camera and master that first while learning photography before jumping in a getting a lot of gear you don't know how to use.

I'd start with something like a Nikon D5100 with an 18-105 VR lens, but there are plenty other choices and other brands that work well.

Jason, welcome to our world and have fun. Promise?

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
BobSC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,664

jaison007 wrote:

Pls. help me.

They are all good and they will all work for beginners, because they all have an Auto mode.

If you know what you're going to end up wanting to do with the camera, then some have some advantages. If you don't know, then any of them are as likely to be good for what you finally end up doing.
My suggestion is to just get one and start taking photos. Just get the dslr and the one lens it comes with. After a year or two, you will know enough about what you like doing to know if you should stick with the camera you bought, or sell it and buy some different make. It is a good idea to arrive at this conclusion /before/ you start buying more lenses.

kgbruce01 Senior Member • Posts: 1,245

jaison007 wrote:

Pls. help me.

My favorite SLR camera is the Nikon FE - very affordable as well.

trekkeruss Veteran Member • Posts: 3,899

jaison007 wrote:

Pls. help me.

Sure! Send me money, and I will send you an SLR.

OP jaison007 New Member • Posts: 12

Thanks for your precious guidelines about photography. As u all people told i agree all the terms what u people described in your replies.

thanks for you people for giving your precious time to answer my question.

first of all i want learn photography by clicking normal images.

I want to grow step by step.

My budget is less & i don't know about SLR, so better i have to go for good one to learn all basic steps.

I want good camera with one lens in learners stage, in which i can learn all the basic steps of photography.

i want to learn practically, as i am good in practically learning.

You people please suggest a good camera, which i can use in later stage also with different lens.

As per weather condition, i am residing in coastal area, with rainy season & summer season.

according to weather condition what care i have to take.

please advise me as u all people master in SLR's & as well as in photography.

Where i can find basic learning steps of photo clicking.

jaison007 wrote:

Thanks for your precious guidelines about photography. As u all people told i agree all the terms what u people described in your replies.

thanks for you people for giving your precious time to answer my question.

first of all i want learn photography by clicking normal images.

I want to grow step by step.

My budget is less & i don't know about SLR, so better i have to go for good one to learn all basic steps.

I want good camera with one lens in learners stage, in which i can learn all the basic steps of photography.

i want to learn practically, as i am good in practically learning.

You people please suggest a good camera, which i can use in later stage also with different lens.

As per weather condition, i am residing in coastal area, with rainy season & summer season.

according to weather condition what care i have to take.

please advise me as u all people master in SLR's & as well as in photography.

Where i can find basic learning steps of photo clicking.

Thank you All

regards,

Jaison

GeraldMac
GeraldMac New Member • Posts: 10

Hello Jason & Greetings from County Clare, Ireland.

Personally, I would recommend  a cheap-n-nasty camera to start with.  Secondly, read up on as many photographers as you can find information on.  As you progress with learning about the camera and the photographers you will also learn a lot about yourself and your photographic flare or direction.

My first cheap-n-nasty digital camera was from a Aldi (European Supermarket chain).  It is a Chinese made camera with a blinding 4mp (megapixel processor).  Having been using Neanderthal cameras which Noah had on the Arc.  This little digital cheapie camera thought me how to set up a menu system.

As you progress you will be met with a blinding array of cameras, lenses, accessories of all kinds and a mind boggeling amount of advice.  One very important piece of advice is to Do Not Buy On The Spur Of The Moment.

Think about in what direction you want to go with your hobby.  Tailor your camera gear towards your area of interest.  And from then on afterwards you will be just like the rest of us, just as confused as ever with the ongoing production of the "latest must have" which is another way of getting you to spend your hard earned cash.

This bloke is my photographic hero:   http://www.sutcliffe-gallery.co.uk/

Best of luck

-- hide signature --

Graflex - Not a Digit nor a Pixel in site

GeraldMac's gear list:GeraldMac's gear list
Nikon D3200

which one i have to take?

can u advise me a good one for taking all basic pics & as well as in low light.

Bjorn_L wrote:

jaison007 wrote:

Pls. help me.

Take a little time to think over what you want to shoot and how. I know you have no experiance with the stuff but just use your imagination as best you can.

1. Is low light very important?

2. What about poor weather?

3. Sports or photos involving relatively fast movement?

4. Portability? How sensitive are you with regards to weight of the kit?

5. Are you going to invest in a system and slowly add lenses and periferals or do you hope to manage this with 1 body and 1 "jack of all trades" lens?

6. What about budget? How much are you looking to spend initially? Is used an option?

7. Are you interested enough to take the time to learn? Or are you looking for a better photo by just spending more?

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

1. Is low light very important? yes

2. What about poor weather? weather is dusty in summer season & rainy season? how much impact will be there in means of weather condition?

3. Sports or photos involving relatively fast movement? yes for some extent around 70%.

4. Portability? How sensitive are you with regards to weight of the kit? no problem.

5. Are you going to invest in a system and slowly add lenses and periferals or do you hope to manage this with 1 body and 1 "jack of all trades" lens? may be slowly add lenses.

6. What about budget? How much are you looking to spend initially? Is used an option? medium budget.

7. Are you interested enough to take the time to learn? Or are you looking for a better photo by just spending more? yes i want to learn more & more in easy way step by step. want nice clicks on less spending.

Learning Stage.

Guidenet

Jason, if you're serious about learning, I'd be looking at a Pentax K30, Nikon D90 or D7000, or a Canon 60D. I don't know the Sony line well enough to choose something equivalent. The above cameras are a notch above entry level allowing for better ease in learning photography.

Let's say a Nikon D7000 with the excellent 18-105 VR lens to start with. If that's too high, try to find a D90 or drop back to a D5100. Now, you really need to spend the time mastering that one lens and one camera. You need to learn exposure and composition.

For exposure, I'd really learn the Zone System of photography. If you can find The Camera by Ansel Adams and really learn all the parts that apply to modern photography, you'll be ahead of the pack. You might also read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. For composition, I like The Photographer's Eye. I don't remember the author. Really learn this information, not just look through it all. Study it and use it every day. Learn how to look at a scene and know the possible exposures.

I'd also suggest taking an illustration course and maybe a painting course. It will help you develop your eye for composition. Learn perpective drawing as well. Develop a cultured taste for Opera and Ballet. Sound, story and continuity. Learn to visualize your creations and then create them.

Good luck and really buld on a passion for all this. Have fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Guidenet wrote:

Jason, if you're serious about learning, I'd be looking at a Pentax K30, Nikon D90 or D7000, or a Canon 60D. I don't know the Sony line well enough to choose something equivalent. The above cameras are a notch above entry level allowing for better ease in learning photography.

Let's say a Nikon D7000 with the excellent 18-105 VR lens to start with. If that's too high, try to find a D90 or drop back to a D5100. Now, you really need to spend the time mastering that one lens and one camera. You need to learn exposure and composition.

For exposure, I'd really learn the Zone System of photography. If you can find The Camera by Ansel Adams and really learn all the parts that apply to modern photography, you'll be ahead of the pack. You might also read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. For composition, I like The Photographer's Eye. I don't remember the author. Really learn this information, not just look through it all. Study it and use it every day. Learn how to look at a scene and know the possible exposures.

I'd also suggest taking an illustration course and maybe a painting course. It will help you develop your eye for composition. Learn perpective drawing as well. Develop a cultured taste for Opera and Ballet. Sound, story and continuity. Learn to visualize your creations and then create them.

Good luck and really buld on a passion for all this. Have fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

thanks for ur hekp & thoughts.

what about canon 550d, weather this will be gud for basics & which lens is gud?

please advise.

-- hide signature --

Learning Stage.

Guidenet

It's just fine, but it's entry level so a little harder to learn with, but it's ok. I'd get the 18-135 with it.

Im not a huge fan of Canon, especially their entry level cameras. I think they feel cheap to me, but that's just one person's opinion.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 11,625

I suspect that "a little harder to learn with" is in regard to just 1 wheel?  True, for full manual mode.  I generally do not shoot in manual mode with my Canon, even though it is a 50D and has both wheels.  Different strokes for different folks.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Guidenet

KCook wrote:

I suspect that "a little harder to learn with" is in regard to just 1 wheel? True, for full manual mode. I generally do not shoot in manual mode with my Canon, even though it is a 50D and has both wheels. Different strokes for different folks.

Kelly Cook

Well, Kelly, I agree with you with respect to a single command dial but even in A or S mode, you're using one dial for both purposes. For example, in A mode, you have to tell the dial to set the aperture you wish. In Tv mode, you have to tell that same dial to set the Shutter speed. I would imagine it would be easier to have a shutter button on one side and an aperture dial on the other side. Even in P mode, you might want to shift the shutter or aperture or both. It's nice to have a difference.

Speaking of that, why does Canon insist on calling the Shutter speed Time value. Everyone knows Shutter Priority Mode. Who's ever heard of Time Value Priority mode? LOL I'm kidding, of course. I don't really care. It's just a small annoyance. Who knows who came up with either? It's actually the shutter duration, not the speed anyway.

I think that it's not just the single command dial I'm talking about. I'm talking about all the other things too that are left out on an entry level camera. Many of these things would help a learning photograher. For example, having to light up the back panel to see your settings. Imagine a novice photographer in a class and everyone is asked to check what aperture is set or shutter speed. In the old days, they could just glance at the camera and see. Changes are made in real time. Not so with an entry level. You have to light it up or look through the viewfinder. With say a 60D, they could glance at the top informational LCD. Everything's there.

On my cameras I can change ISO, Bracketing, Quality, Frame Rates, AF mode, Focus points, number of points, note the battery condition, note shots left, and a whole lot more without lighting the back or viewing through the viewfinder. There's no menu searching. It's easy in plain sight, all this an a lot more. The camera body is like an open book and I think that ease of use makes it easier to learn with providing the beginner can afford the extra price tag for that level of camera. Just my opinion, really.

Hiding all that away is because it's cheaper to do it that way and they expect novice photographers to use it in some auto or scene mode. P, Tv (S), and A are all auto modes. These entry level models don't build this sparce because it's easier to use. It's just cheaper. You have to pay to make them more versatile and easier to use.

Anyway, that's why if a novice can afford it, I always suggest a notch above entry level for a new user. With Canon, it starts at about the 60D. With Nikon, it starts at the D90 or D7000. Every single model below these lose the pentaprism viewfinder and top LCD, not to mention twin command dials. So, I'm not looking at it so much as a different stroke type difference where it's just preference, but at the actual pragmatical use of the camera. As usual, it's just my opinion though.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads