LX7 Adapter Tube for Addon Lenses - Yeah!

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions
privateman
privateman Contributing Member • Posts: 702
LX7 Adapter Tube for Addon Lenses - Yeah!

Good news for everyone out there who'd like to use add-on lenses on an LX7.

Some weeks ago a third party adapter tube was introduced (see http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50588734) which I ordered, it was delivered today. It's a very lightweight but solid piece of aluminum fitting securely to the LX7 by a bajonet mount!

While closeup lenses for macro shootings may also be attached with the DMW-FA1 to the front lens this KIWI tube allows the use of converters in a way we were used to with the LX5 or LX3.

Due to the nature of the LX7 optics this solution will be much more preferable for wide angle converters than for tele converters.

This is what it looks like:

And, hmmmm, please forgive me, if you want to take your LX7 out for birding, here we are:

Not a super-duper-wonder-machine-SX50, but ...  

Btw no vignetting with an E17ED, while it does with an E15ED.

privateman's gear list:privateman's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Zebooka
Zebooka Contributing Member • Posts: 606
Re: LX7 Adapter Tube for Addon Lenses - Yeah!

As expected!

When I was inspecting camera in a shop I expected that this ring around lens is dettachable like in LX5.

Could you please take and publish a close photo of ring mount bayonet on camera body?

-- hide signature --

Linux photographer == Taiga, Siberia, Russia
My web site - http://zebooka.com

zs7guy Regular Member • Posts: 203

i wonder if we could use the raynox 150 or 250 for macro photos with

lx7, using this adapter ???

privateman
OP privateman Contributing Member • Posts: 702

Zebooka wrote:

Could you please take and publish a close photo of ring mount bayonet on camera body?

I did so in the other thread I was linking to, some days ago.

But here you have it again:

privateman
LX7 with Raynox lenses - Example

zs7guy wrote:

i wonder if we could use the raynox 150 or 250 for macro photos with lx7, using this adapter ???

Yes, you can. Here an example, handheld (LX7 only @50mm, with Raynox 250 @90mm):

LX7 only

LX7 w/ Raynox 250

raynox 250 ... Re: LX7 with Raynox lenses - Example

privateman wrote:

zs7guy wrote:

i wonder if we could use the raynox 150 or 250 for macro photos with lx7, using this adapter ???

Yes, you can. Here an example, handheld (LX7 only @50mm, with Raynox 250 @90mm):

LX7 only

LX7 w/ Raynox 250

thank you,

in this photo the lx7 has the raynox 250 installed up front?

privateman
Re: raynox 250 ... Re: LX7 with Raynox lenses - Example

zs7guy wrote:

thank you,

in this photo the lx7 has the raynox 250 installed up front?

Yes it is. With a stepdown adapter since the tube has a 52mm front end. That's perfect because I have several lenses in that size (for FZ200).

You may clip-on the Raynox as well, but I prefer screwing.

leerob
leerob Senior Member • Posts: 2,352

Did you test it with DC58A?

Thanks!

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Leica X Vario Leica C Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica C-Lux Nikon D7100 +5 more
privateman

leerob wrote:

Did you test it with DC58A?

No, and I won't do that.

To me it makes more sense using a nice wide angle converter with the LX7.

Your suggested Canon lens would make only 135mm focal length ...

William Ing Contributing Member • Posts: 628

My Kiwi BP211 52mm adapter tube arrived in the mail today and I immediately tested it with my favorite WA converter, the Konica Minolta ACW-100 .8X converter, mounted on the LX-7. I've used this accessory with great results on the LX-5 I previously owned. In addition, you need only a 52 to 49mm step DOWN ring to make the whole rig work.

IQ is everything I hoped for--no vignetting, even shooting at 4:3 aspect ratio, minimal distorsion, beautiful clarity and colors. A lovely way to acquire an f/1.4 19mm (EFL) wideangle.

Given the ease with which this after market Kiwi tube bayonets onto the LX-7 once you've removed the knurled silver or black ring around the lens mount, I'm at a loss to figure out why Panasonic has so far opted not to market a similar bayonet adapter tube, which would easily accept the DMW-LWA52 WA conversion lens that worked so well with the LX-5. (Perhaps it was because Panny discovered there were precious few shooters willing to pony up the $175 purchase price? Or because too few LX-5 owners were willing to accept the nose heaviness and rather bulbous profile the LWA52 + adapter tube conferred on these tiny cameras?) Although I've never owned one, I'm quite sure the LWA52 would be every bit as compatible with the LX-7 as my aforementioned ACW-100 converter. The only difference: Being a .75X converter, the LWA52 would yield an EFL of 18mm! Keep in mind, too, that there's minimal apparent loss in IQ if you zoom between 18 and 24mm.

I agree with a previous poster that the Raynox 250 is a natural accessory to use with the Kiwi tube. Plus the ACW-100 or the LWA52 and/or any additional 52mm filters, lens caps or lens shades you can think of. This, IMO, is a better way to attach filters to the LX-7 than via Panny's accessory ring adapter, which attaches to the front of the zoom lens and accepts 37mm accessories. The undeniable advantage of the 37mm ring is pocketabilty and weight, but then you forego the extra protection for the lens assembly afforded by the adapter tube.

BTW, the KM ACW-100 converter has long been discontinued, but, the last time I checked, was still available as "new old stock" from at least one online source.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 239

Could you please provide the URL to purchase this tube?  I went on EBAY and could not find it.

Regards,

Joel

Sorry, for some reason I couldn't copy and paste the URL.

Go to amazon.com>electronics>in search box, type in "52mm lens adapter for Panasonic LX-7".

The item I purchased was the Kiwi BP211 from A&R Photo Video Inc., through Amazon. Cost: $14.90.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 239

Thank you.

joel

privateman

William Ing wrote:

My Kiwi BP211 52mm adapter tube arrived in the mail today and I immediately tested it with my favorite WA converter, the Konica Minolta ACW-100 .8X converter, mounted on the LX-7. I've used this accessory with great results on the LX-5 I previously owned. In addition, you need only a 52 to 49mm step DOWN ring to make the whole rig work.

IQ is everything I hoped for--no vignetting, even shooting at 4:3 aspect ratio, minimal distorsion, beautiful clarity and colors. A lovely way to acquire an f/1.4 19mm (EFL) wideangle.

I agree with a previous poster that the Raynox 250 is a natural accessory to use with the Kiwi tube.

I agree with you on the ACW-100, I had used it with my LX5 and sold it after I had moved to an FZ150. It was a very good lens, and I wish I'd kept it. I got some Olympus wide angle converters by now and think they should work quite well with the LX7, I'll check that soon.

Taking macro shots with the LX7 is by far not as impressive as it is with a longer lens like the FZ150/200. Which means you have a great magnification shooting with a focal length of 150mm up to 600mm. Now with an LX7 the magnification is visible, as I could show above, but it is not that great effect.

Adapter ring for raynox 250 ... Re: LX7 Adapter Tube for Addon Lenses - Yeah!

William Ing wrote:

My Kiwi BP211 52mm adapter tube arrived in the mail today and I immediately tested it with my favorite WA converter, the Konica Minolta ACW-100 .8X converter, mounted on the LX-7. I've used this accessory with great results on the LX-5 I previously owned. In addition, you need only a 52 to 49mm step DOWN ring to make the whole rig work.

Thank you for the info .My understanding is, as you said,  the 52 to 49mm step DOWN ring works with the ACW-100 only.

I am going to use the Raynox 250 so which step down ring do I need?

1/ 52 to 49mm step down ring? or

2/ 52 to 43mm step down ring?

I believe the second ring... can somebody confirm? please!

thanks

privateman
Re: Adapter ring for raynox 250 ... Re: LX7 Adapter Tube for Addon Lenses - Yeah!

zs7guy wrote:

You are right, the second one is fine, down to 43mm.

Re: Adapter ring for raynox 250 ... Re: LX7 Adapter Tube for Addon Lenses - Yeah!

privateman wrote:

zs7guy wrote:

You are right, the second one is fine, down to 43mm.

Thanks ...

Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,196

zs7guy wrote:

William Ing wrote:

Thank you for the info .My understanding is, as you said, the 52 to 49mm step DOWN ring works with the ACW-100 only.

I believe the second ring... can somebody confirm? please!

thanks

I am sorry, but with the clip-on adaptor that comes with the Raynox 250, you do NOT need any step down ring. The clip-on works with 52mm. If you take it off, then you need a 43mm adaptor - but why bother?

So, why not use the clip-on - you pay for it?

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +8 more
privateman

Markr041 wrote:

I am sorry, but with the clip-on adaptor that comes with the Raynox 250, you do NOT need any step down ring. The clip-on works with 52mm. If you take it off, then you need a 43mm adaptor - but why bother?

So, why not use the clip-on - you pay for it?

I had mentioned both methods earlier in this thread.

Personally I feel safer screwing the Raynox rather than clipping it on. But that's up to everyone's taste.

Additional note WRT filters and step down rings

In the interest of supplying complete information, I need to add the followiing details to my earlier remarks about using filters and other screw-in accessories with the Kiwi adapter tube:

I'm embarrassed to admit that I can't find any of my 52mm filters at the moment for test purposes, but I just did a visual check of the position of the front element of the LX7 lens when it's fully extended to the 90mm position. It appears the front of the lens will touch the rear surface of a 52mm screw in filter.

Therefore, I believe it would be necessary to use some form of spacer to avoid physical contact between the lens and the rear of any filter. (Note: there's no contact when using a WA lens converter because the rear element of the converter is recessed. Furthermore, it'd never be advisable to zoom the lens out to the full 90mm position when using a WA converter.)

One solution is to use a 52-49mm step down ring (or a 52-55 step up ring, if one is wary of vignetting), and commit to using 49/55mm filters. The other option would be to use just the ring of a 52mm filter, from which the glass has been removed, as a spacer between the tube and your 52mm filters.

Please note that the problem presents itself only when the lens is zoomed out to the full telephoto position.

Can anyone confirm the accuracy of the above observations?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads