"same old question" in a diff way- Has anyone NOT had a problem with sensor dust issue in the D600 .

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions
amarjot Forum Member • Posts: 66
"same old question" in a diff way- Has anyone NOT had a problem with sensor dust issue in the D600 .

I just wanted to see if there are any people out there who haveNOT had a problem with their D600. Because no review kenrcokwell, digital-photography ,dpreview ,cameralabs ,expertreviews, imaging-resource etc etc has even mentioned this problem.

Till now all i have heard is people venting or others consoling them and saying we can live with it..

Is there anybody Out there..............

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP amarjot Forum Member • Posts: 66
For those who do have a problem with the D600, please dont ignore this thread..

Those who have - dont ignore this thread, I know you are frustrated with threads like this but not asking anyone to get into explanations and venting, just write " HAVE the problem" or "DON'T HAVE the problem"...

Result should be interesting.

ctvader Regular Member • Posts: 205
Re: For those who do have a problem with the D600, please dont ignore this thread..

Can you please include serial numbers as well?  I noticed the price drop on Amazon this morning for the kit ($2495) and it's oh so tempting.

benbammens Regular Member • Posts: 240
Re: "same old question"

I have the dust issue, but it is not a problem...

Robertomendo Contributing Member • Posts: 579
Re: "same old question"

I have the dust issue and it is not a problem, I love the camera, bought in October when they first came out.

Robertomendo's gear list:Robertomendo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
paulski66
paulski66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,339
I haven't...

I bought mine back in late September/early October. I haven't cleaned the sensor yet.

I also haven't been shooting many white walls at really small apertures, so it might just be that I haven't noticed it yet. I'll know for sure once macro season rolls around...

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
OP amarjot Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: For those who do have a problem with the D600, please dont ignore this thread..

hahaha... tell me about it!!! Its so tempting, gonna see how long can i hold out.

Polarpics Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: I haven't...

nothing yet. Bought end of December.

-- hide signature --

polarpics

Polarpics's gear list:Polarpics's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
ohcello Senior Member • Posts: 1,719
Re: "same old question" in a diff way- Has anyone NOT had a problem with sensor dust issue

I have one from October.... no issues yet... shot many landscapes at f/11... I see one bust blob... blew it out.

ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
iseethelight New Member • Posts: 19
Ok, what the heck!

I have dust, oil, whatever. I do change lenses. My D600 has 2500 shots through it and so far I have cleaned it 3 times. I'll clean it again this weekend, so that's a clean about every 600 frames or so. From my experience with DSLR's I would not consider this a problem.

iseethelight's gear list:iseethelight's gear list
Nikon D600
WahooPhoto New Member • Posts: 1
DPReview review of the D600 does mention the problem...

and they stated in their Nov 2012 review that they would update it with more information when they learn more.  It hasn't been updated yet so I'm assuming Nikon hasn't been particular helpful on this front.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d600/23

There are many reputable reviews and blogs around the web that have also covered the problem.  In general, I don't expect camera review sites to necessarily spend a lot of time investigating an issue like this that shows up gradually over time and are only noticeable in certain circumstances (stopped down).  They often get a sample copy of the camera to borrow for a week and they focus on handling, features, and performance in the short time they have it.

That said, I do find this thread interesting.  I've been following the D600 very closely since its release and I'm waiting for some signs of a resolution before purchasing. Many of the reports I've read about the D600 have either been complaints about the problem, acknowledgements that the problem exists but saying it's not a big deal, or assertions that it is normal behavior for DSLRs and people just need to keep their sensor clean (i.e. wet clean). I've read relatively few reports from D600 owners trying to make the case that the dust/oil problem doesn't exist.  On the other hand, I've read tons of comments from people that are thrilled with the camera's performance.

I realize that happy D600 owners probably have better ways to spend their time then trying to refute internet reports of problems with their camera, and also that these positive experiences have a tendency to get drowned out by complaints.  That said, given the significant amount of discussion on this issue I would have expected to see more dissent if the problem wasn't real.

I'm in no particular rush to upgrade so I'm still in a holding pattern, but this has been a frustrating saga to follow after the release of what of seemed to be a perfect camera for my needs in Sept.

samjstern
samjstern Veteran Member • Posts: 6,997
Armarjot,....

I have 2 D600 bodies and am very satisfied that I have not been  able to see any problems.

Every day I take out my sensor lupe and look carefully for dust and smears and oil.

But reaaly have found none.

This is just my experience.

-- hide signature --

Sam
www.samjsternphotography.com
www.abingtonheadshots.com

samjstern's gear list:samjstern's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
ChrisMT Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: DPReview review of the D600 does mention the problem...

And so do Imaging resource:
"But by far the biggest problem with the D600 is this dust and oil issue that also affected our review unit. Widely reported on the Internet, it seems the shutter mechanism is splattering the sensor with oil, and perhaps paint is even peeling off and joining the oil to prevent the D600's dust-reduction system from removing the spots. "

leicaman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,801
Have the problem and it's getting worse... not better

amarjot wrote:

Those who have - dont ignore this thread, I know you are frustrated with threads like this but not asking anyone to get into explanations and venting, just write " HAVE the problem" or "DON'T HAVE the problem"...

Result should be interesting.

leicaman's gear list:leicaman's gear list
Nikon D810
The only ones that have NOT mentioned it is NIKON.... 8-(
Nikon D810
D600 dust reduction system does NADA...

Has not helped one iota...

Nikon D810
eNo
eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744
I'm not at liberty to discuss that question /nt
-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

Nikonfan99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

One thing I think can be a better indication is amazon "verified purchase" reviews. Yes people can make a small issue big even on these reviews but if you see a pattern, it is probably true. The verified purchase allows one review of the item per purchase and you can update as you go. I tried posting to b&h and adorama and some how my not so glowing review never saw the light of day. They both have some way of selectively picking reviews that make the list. Mine was very professional and detailed. I think amazon is a good indicator. Not all D600's have the issue but a large enough number do. I still say to wait till a CONFIRMED fix is in place. Even if that was found today, I would wait some time to buy one. Nikon pushed out the units knowing of this issue and never halted the sales of it even after the issue was pointed out. They had one goal in mind and that was to beat canon to the FX 2k price market and they did it knowing they had a faulty product and that includes the useless wu-1b which was also an obvious rush job.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
EYeye Regular Member • Posts: 297

Bought my D600 Sept 19, 2012. Have used rocket blower twice (because in field changing lenses lots at those times), and have seen dust blob/spot in only one image (upper left in blue sky).

Local Nikon Dealer used loupe to do free cleaning and reported no oil, and no need to wet clean.

f22 at blue sky no problems revealed. (I take one of these to test about once @ month). I have 4 lenses and a TC 20 III that I use so I change lenses a lot (but try to be careful about this - more so than before).

I do not deny the reality that this IS an issue for many. So far, not for me.

EYeye's gear list:EYeye's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon D80 +8 more
Leo360 Senior Member • Posts: 1,141
Re: I'm not at liberty to discuss that question /nt

eNo wrote:

@eNo: Are you under a gag order  from Nikon?

Leo

Leo360's gear list:Leo360's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads