Which Lens Hood for 650D (T4i)?

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
BandofBrothers
BandofBrothers Forum Member • Posts: 85
Which Lens Hood for 650D (T4i)?

Hey everyone

First post in the Canon section of the forum so please be gentle:-) (I also have a Nikon 1 V1 which I am playing with also at the moment).

Just picked up the Canon today - the battery is currently charging. I want to pick up a Lens Hood but not 100% sure which type I need / would work on the camera as I can see both petal hoods and regular round hoods.

I am just using the kit lens (18-55mm EF-S IS II) at the moment - will look into better lenses later in the year when I have some funds. I will also look into possibly getting a UV or Polarizing filter too (Hoya are good?) in a few days.

Many thanks for any help:-D

P.S. Can't wait to start shooting with this Camera!

 BandofBrothers's gear list:BandofBrothers's gear list
Nikon 1 V1
Canon EOS Rebel T4i (EOS 650D / EOS Kiss X6i) Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
iancrowe Senior Member • Posts: 1,371
Re: Which Lens Hood for 650D (T4i)?

BandofBrothers wrote:

Hey everyone

First post in the Canon section of the forum so please be gentle:-) (I also have a Nikon 1 V1 which I am playing with also at the moment).

Just picked up the Canon today - the battery is currently charging. I want to pick up a Lens Hood but not 100% sure which type I need / would work on the camera as I can see both petal hoods and regular round hoods.

I am just using the kit lens (18-55mm EF-S IS II) at the moment - will look into better lenses later in the year when I have some funds. I will also look into possibly getting a UV or Polarizing filter too (Hoya are good?) in a few days.

Many thanks for any help:-D

P.S. Can't wait to start shooting with this Camera!

For the standard 18-55 you need the EW-60C (or knockoff) cylinder style hood. The petal type does not work because the front element of the lens rotates with focusing.

Be warned that the rotating front element causes issues with a circular polarising filter. You have to set the filter angle after you have focused the camera.

Ian

BandofBrothers
BandofBrothers OP Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Which Lens Hood for 650D (T4i)?

Many thanks for the information Ian.

Is there a way around the "issue" with the polarising filter or any different type that avoids this?

Thanks again

 BandofBrothers's gear list:BandofBrothers's gear list
Nikon 1 V1
iancrowe Senior Member • Posts: 1,371
Re: Which Lens Hood for 650D (T4i)?

BandofBrothers wrote:

Many thanks for the information Ian.

Is there a way around the "issue" with the polarising filter or any different type that avoids this?

Thanks again

Sadly not. The whole point of a polarising filter is that you rotate it to the correct angle to cut down reflections. As it is attached to the front element of the lens which itself rotates sort of turns it into a juggling act.

Ian

Drogba88
Drogba88 Regular Member • Posts: 222
Re: Which Lens Hood for 650D (T4i)?

I have the same 18-55mm lens as you, and I found that on the extreme 18mm setting the lens hood gets into each corner the picture.   I have tried both petal and circular hoods and it happens with both.  I have to move the focal length up to at least 24mm to prevent this.   So make sure you try the hood at this setting before you buy one!

 Drogba88's gear list:Drogba88's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +10 more
Hank3152
Hank3152 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,491
Appropriate hood......

A proper hood is designed specifically for the particular lens and not the camera body. Although there are many styles and sizes available, you should get the designated model suggested by Canon or a 3rd party of the exact version, not just any hood.........otherwise issues like vignetting as you described will occur.......

 Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
amosf
amosf Contributing Member • Posts: 680
Re: Which Lens Hood for 650D (T4i)?

The 18-55 is one of those lenses I don't use a hood on very much. I do have one, but it's really tiny and so doesn't do much.

But the non-genuine ones are quite cheap, so you might as well buy it.

I have hoods for most lenses, except the 40 and 50 primes.

I like my Tamrons as they come with hoods

 amosf's gear list:amosf's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,523
Re: Which Lens Hood for 650D (T4i)?

Peter Parsons wrote:

I have the same 18-55mm lens as you, and I found that on the extreme 18mm setting the lens hood gets into each corner the picture. I have tried both petal and circular hoods and it happens with both. I have to move the focal length up to at least 24mm to prevent this. So make sure you try the hood at this setting before you buy one!

I presume you must not have used the recommend hood from Canon, but just some generic "all purpose" hoods, which are - as you noticed - of no use for the 18-55 IS at wide angle. You have to get a wide angle hood.  Anyway, the best choice is indeed the Canon EW-60C or some knock-off with the same design. It's relatively small, but has to be, because of the wide-angle, and can't be petal shaped, because of the rotating front.

Note: hoods are made for particular lenses, not for a camera body.

-- hide signature --

*** Life is short, time to zoom in *** ©

 photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,228
Re: Which Lens Hood for 650D (T4i)?

I'm going to go against the tide of recommendations and say that you should NOT bother with a hood for the EF-S 18-55 IS II.  The Canon EW-60C hood is so short and shallow that it really doesn't do much.  If you should ignore this advice be sure that you don't waste your money on the genuine Canon hood.  There are many third party hoods that will work just as poorly as the Canon hood.

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

 Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Paul Farace
Paul Farace Contributing Member • Posts: 793
Re: Which Lens Hood for 650D (T4i)?

Don't dismiss the kit Canon lens... it's rather well built for an inexpensive lens, optically its very, very good! and the proper lens hood and/or multi-coated filter will keep it safe for many years from bangs and bashes... consider a Chinese knock off of the correct Canon EW 60 hood... they're cheap and almost exactly the same quality in general.

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

 Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,589
Re: Which Lens Hood for 650D (T4i)?

Y0GI wrote:

I'm going to go against the tide of recommendations and say that you should NOT bother with a hood for the EF-S 18-55 IS II.

Actually it helps from some angles (better than nothing).  I also use the hood to grab onto when focusing manually (makes a much better grip than the slim focusing ring).

If you should ignore this advice be sure that you don't waste your money on the genuine Canon hood.

Right, this particular hood doesn't include any interior "flocking," so the knock-offs will work just as well.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

 R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon PowerShot G3 X Canon EOS 70D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads