Who Else would like to see a separate 1D/s/x forum?

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions
schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: Now that's just funny

Schwany wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

...a dedicated 1 series forum will not produce enough traffic.

Couldn't agree more. The traffic would be fine. Besides, traffic alone does not a quality forum make. If it did this thread and topic would never pop up.

There is no statiscal data supporting this claim. In fact, there is data to suggest otherwise. Look at the forum traffic before the the introduction of the 5D. Pretty robust if memory serves.

Now that DPR has moderators, they can keep out the doofus' wishing to pick fights with the advanced users.

I'm guessing you're not really talking about photographers in this scenario. I personally would not appreciate a short timer in need of a power fix kicking me out of any forum on this site because I didn't agree with someone that felt they were an advanced user beyond reproach. Anyway, that advanced user versus doofus concept gave me a chuckle.

I'd just like to comment on a couple of misconceptions you appear to have.

1. Moderators are here to police the forum rules. If you obey the rules you will not be given a "short timer". If, however, you break the rules, then your knowledge is irrelevant. And, if you are a long time member, then moderators are less likely to cut you some slack as you should know better.

2. The period of time you have been a member here does not mean your opinions are any more valid than anyone else's, nor does it mean you are in any way superior. The subtle suggestion that this might be the case simply adds further weight to the calls of elitism.

Now, point that gun away from your foot!

plevyadophy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,258
Re: Now that's just funny

schmegg wrote:

Schwany wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

...a dedicated 1 series forum will not produce enough traffic.

Couldn't agree more. The traffic would be fine. Besides, traffic alone does not a quality forum make. If it did this thread and topic would never pop up.

There is no statiscal data supporting this claim. In fact, there is data to suggest otherwise. Look at the forum traffic before the the introduction of the 5D. Pretty robust if memory serves.

Now that DPR has moderators, they can keep out the doofus' wishing to pick fights with the advanced users.

I'm guessing you're not really talking about photographers in this scenario. I personally would not appreciate a short timer in need of a power fix kicking me out of any forum on this site because I didn't agree with someone that felt they were an advanced user beyond reproach. Anyway, that advanced user versus doofus concept gave me a chuckle.

I'd just like to comment on a couple of misconceptions you appear to have.

1. Moderators are here to police the forum rules. If you obey the rules you will not be given a "short timer". If, however, you break the rules, then your knowledge is irrelevant. And, if you are a long time member, then moderators are less likely to cut you some slack as you should know better.

2. The period of time you have been a member here does not mean your opinions are any more valid than anyone else's, nor does it mean you are in any way superior. The subtle suggestion that this might be the case simply adds further weight to the calls of elitism.

Now, point that gun away from your foot!

So you won't mind then if, in your day job, some spotty faced teenager with little experience gets the senior post that you already have or have had your eye on?! Because of course seniority and/or how long you have been around count for nothing right?  

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,581
Balance

plevyadophy wrote:

So you won't mind then if, in your day job, some spotty faced teenager with little experience gets the senior post that you already have or have had your eye on?! Because of course seniority and/or how long you have been around count for nothing right?

Experience doesn't always go hand in hand with "best person for the job". I prefer to hire/have a team that knows what choice is best for the future. Not an easy thing to balance. No absolutes, except maybe regards the posted rules

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Brett Beiner New Member • Posts: 20
Re: Who Else would like to see a separate 1D/s/x forum?

cageyfella wrote:

absolutely!...having to trawl through pages of irrelevant posts makes me not bother coming to dpreview at all..

I've been using 1 series bodies exclusively for about nine years. I used to visit DPR daily until the 5D was added this forum. Then it was overwhelmed with threads that were irrelevant to me. I doubt I visit DPR more than once a quarter now.

However, now that the 5D series specs have been upgraded and it has become a pro level body, perhaps it belongs. But I defer to those who frequent this forum.

I am shocked that the 6D has been added to this forum.

Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,129
Going the wrong way on a one way street

schmegg wrote:

Schwany wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

...a dedicated 1 series forum will not produce enough traffic.

Couldn't agree more. The traffic would be fine. Besides, traffic alone does not a quality forum make. If it did this thread and topic would never pop up.

There is no statiscal data supporting this claim. In fact, there is data to suggest otherwise. Look at the forum traffic before the the introduction of the 5D. Pretty robust if memory serves.

Now that DPR has moderators, they can keep out the doofus' wishing to pick fights with the advanced users.

I'm guessing you're not really talking about photographers in this scenario. I personally would not appreciate a short timer in need of a power fix kicking me out of any forum on this site because I didn't agree with someone that felt they were an advanced user beyond reproach. Anyway, that advanced user versus doofus concept gave me a chuckle.

I'd just like to comment on a couple of misconceptions you appear to have.

1. Moderators are here to police the forum rules. If you obey the rules you will not be given a "short timer". If, however, you break the rules, then your knowledge is irrelevant. And, if you are a long time member, then moderators are less likely to cut you some slack as you should know better.

2. The period of time you have been a member here does not mean your opinions are any more valid than anyone else's, nor does it mean you are in any way superior. The subtle suggestion that this might be the case simply adds further weight to the calls of elitism.

Now, point that gun away from your foot!

Huh? I was talking to Rick, and not well you.

I don't see anything in "my" comment about my knowledge being superior, or anything about how long I've been around. Those are your personal uncalled for assumptions.

Can a moderator ban somebody because they don't like what they have to say even if what they have to say is not breaking any of the written rules? Based on your response I suspect moderators can do just about anything they want to, rules or not.

I need to turn my car around and get off this one way street.

How about this: Moderators are the bestest people ever. I would let my daughter marry one, if I had a daughter.

 Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,581
Re: Going the wrong way on a one way street

Schwany wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Schwany wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

...a dedicated 1 series forum will not produce enough traffic.

Couldn't agree more. The traffic would be fine. Besides, traffic alone does not a quality forum make. If it did this thread and topic would never pop up.

There is no statiscal data supporting this claim. In fact, there is data to suggest otherwise. Look at the forum traffic before the the introduction of the 5D. Pretty robust if memory serves.

Now that DPR has moderators, they can keep out the doofus' wishing to pick fights with the advanced users.

I'm guessing you're not really talking about photographers in this scenario. I personally would not appreciate a short timer in need of a power fix kicking me out of any forum on this site because I didn't agree with someone that felt they were an advanced user beyond reproach. Anyway, that advanced user versus doofus concept gave me a chuckle.

I'd just like to comment on a couple of misconceptions you appear to have.

1. Moderators are here to police the forum rules. If you obey the rules you will not be given a "short timer". If, however, you break the rules, then your knowledge is irrelevant. And, if you are a long time member, then moderators are less likely to cut you some slack as you should know better.

2. The period of time you have been a member here does not mean your opinions are any more valid than anyone else's, nor does it mean you are in any way superior. The subtle suggestion that this might be the case simply adds further weight to the calls of elitism.

Now, point that gun away from your foot!

Huh? I was talking to Rick, and not well you.

That makes little difference in this context. His points are as valid as any. No disrespect was intended and seem well placed.

I don't see anything in "my" comment about my knowledge being superior, or anything about how long I've been around. Those are your personal uncalled for assumptions.

I would disagree with regard to the "power fix" comments. I may be completely wrong. That is often the case with text only communication. One of the major shortcomings of the net, IMO.

Can a moderator ban somebody because they don't like what they have to say even if what they have to say is not breaking any of the written rules? Based on your response I suspect moderators can do just about anything they want to, rules or not.

They can...but they won't be moderators long. I think his point 1 went well in addressing that.

I need to turn my car around and get off this one way street.

Been there, done that. Know the feeling well.

How about this: Moderators are the bestest people ever. I would let my daughter marry one, if I had a daughter.

I agree

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,129
Right you are a superstar. We all shine on

Mako2011 wrote:

Schwany wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Now, point that gun away from your foot!

Huh? I was talking to Rick, and not, well you.

That makes little difference in this context. His points are as valid as any. No disrespect was intended and seem well placed.

Nothing beats a well placed respectful threat. Carry on. Great job fellas.

I feel a group hug coming on.

 Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,581
The key

Schwany wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Schwany wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Now, point that gun away from your foot!

Huh? I was talking to Rick, and not, well you.

That makes little difference in this context. His points are as valid as any. No disrespect was intended and seem well placed.

Great job fellas.

I feel a group hug coming on.

It's a good thing to see our time be productive. Communication is indeed the key.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Brett Beiner New Member • Posts: 20
Re: A curious evolution I'm noticing...

schmegg wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

...is that while this was a topic that would generate immediate "you're an elitist" backlash when it was brought up years ago, when only the 5D was put together with the 1D cameras, it now resonates as positive, reasonable request for a signification amount of users.

I guess multiplication of a problem tends to make it more clearly perceivable.

Oh - I wouldn't be so certain about that at all. I suspect there are many that are simply holding their tongues.

What I find funny is that these threads pop-up every time there is a new camera that is released and it's not a 1D. LOL!

The forum gets busy for six months with talk about the new body, and all the 1D shooters get shirty that they need to "wade through posts" to read one of the dozen or so 1D threads that have been posted lately.

Then, when things get back to normal, everything is OK again! Hehe!

Wrong. Many 1D users simply left. I was one of them. I last took a look as the 1DX was coming out in an effort to research a few issues I had heard about on other forums...the forums that I began spending my time on instead of DPR.

This forum became loaded with newbies asking unbelievably basic questions. The 1D forum was a place people with advanced knowledge would visit to learn and find answers to questions from peers...in addition to answering questions for others.

Like I said in a reply above, the 5D has become a camera of choice for many professionals and perhaps it now belongs in the same forum with the 1D. However, the 6D absolutely does not.

Brett Beiner New Member • Posts: 20
Re: i'm afraid you didn't understand the request.
1

Marcus Antonius wrote:

schmegg wrote:


What I think would be an order of magnitude more constructive would be to have the search function completely revamped to make it easier to find what you are interested in. Trying to achieve a change along these lines would be, in my mind, a much more constructive and community minded pursuit than the self-interested pursuit of a single, more exclusive, forum that would only benefit a relatively small number of community members.

The search functionality is something (talking from experience here) one would occasionally use to find something specific, not every week to find posts related to their camera. That's not user friendly at all.

The thought of creating a more exclusive forum to serve a relatively small number of community members only is also pretty shallow. I strongly believe in the end it will be of greater perpose, also for the "non-elitist" as you would call it. I mean, it's not prohibited for a non 1d user to ask something in that forum. When i was still shooting with my digital rebel, i always read posts on the 1d forum to learn more, but since that forum became an every man's forum, those educational posts are gone. Ohh well, maybe that's the way things go and it means you either find your way somewhere else (like many did) or just become a dormant lurker keeping your idea's and opinions to yourself.

Marcus

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

You're exactly right. The 1D forum used to be a place to learn and to find answers to more technical questions.

For this moderator to comment that 1D users are "elitist", for wanting a forum that is more in tune with their photographic knowledge and experience, shows the extent of his ignorance and that of DPR regarding the purpose of desiring to have a separate forum.

And for him to think that the 6D belongs because it has a full frame sensor is the epitome of ignorance. People were screaming for a separate 1D forum many years before the 1DX arrived. The point of having a separate forum had nothing to do with full frame vs. crop...considering that 1D & 1Ds users wanted a 1 series forum that would include both...seven years ago.

Will T
OP Will T Regular Member • Posts: 157
Re: i'm afraid you didn't understand the request.

Brett Beiner wrote:

You're exactly right. The 1D forum used to be a place to learn and to find answers to more technical questions.

For this moderator to comment that 1D users are "elitist", for wanting a forum that is more in tune with their photographic knowledge and experience, shows the extent of his ignorance and that of DPR regarding the purpose of desiring to have a separate forum.

And for him to think that the 6D belongs because it has a full frame sensor is the epitome of ignorance. People were screaming for a separate 1D forum many years before the 1DX arrived. The point of having a separate forum had nothing to do with full frame vs. crop...considering that 1D & 1Ds users wanted a 1 series forum that would include both...seven years ago.

Thank you I could have not said it better.

-- hide signature --

Will T.
'Make everything as possible as it is simple, but not impossible.'

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,581
Doesn't help.
1

Brett Beiner wrote:


For this moderator to comment that 1D users are "elitist", for wanting a forum that is more in tune with their photographic knowledge and experience, shows the extent of his ignorance and that of DPR regarding the purpose of desiring to have a separate forum.

Actually the comment was "complaining that 1D users have it bad and need something more "exclusive" really does seem a bit 'elitist' to be honest"  He never stated that he thought that group as a whole presented that tone.  Some of the complainers though do seem to exhibit a  a certain sense of entitlement by virtue class. Luckily that seems rare and extremely isolated. Most simply put forth genuine pluses and minuses in a very civil way.

"....epitome of ignorance"

I think your use of that phrase (in the context it was used) goes far in making his point. There are those that help and those that don't. The ideal of a separate forum has been brought up to the staff in a very respectful manner. Often by the same folks you seek to point out as being "on the top of the uninformed ladder". Tossing out phrases meant only to disparage those few volunteers trying to help..does not further your cause. I know it has certainly swayed my opinion should the staff ask. I do see your point...just perhaps not the one you intended to make. Good points just the same. Well worth passing on, and I will when it comes up.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: Now that's just funny

plevyadophy wrote:

So you won't mind then if, in your day job, some spotty faced teenager with little experience gets the senior post that you already have or have had your eye on?! Because of course seniority and/or how long you have been around count for nothing right?

The analogy is completely flawed.

There is absolutely no conclusive correlation between someone's knowledge or experience in the field of photography and the length of their membership here!

Lawn Lends
Lawn Lends Senior Member • Posts: 1,417
Why dont the 1D/s/x just have a conference call?

Do the five or six 1D/s/x owners really need a forum?

schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: Going the wrong way on a one way street

Schwany wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Schwany wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

...a dedicated 1 series forum will not produce enough traffic.

Couldn't agree more. The traffic would be fine. Besides, traffic alone does not a quality forum make. If it did this thread and topic would never pop up.

There is no statiscal data supporting this claim. In fact, there is data to suggest otherwise. Look at the forum traffic before the the introduction of the 5D. Pretty robust if memory serves.

Now that DPR has moderators, they can keep out the doofus' wishing to pick fights with the advanced users.

I'm guessing you're not really talking about photographers in this scenario. I personally would not appreciate a short timer in need of a power fix kicking me out of any forum on this site because I didn't agree with someone that felt they were an advanced user beyond reproach. Anyway, that advanced user versus doofus concept gave me a chuckle.

I'd just like to comment on a couple of misconceptions you appear to have.

1. Moderators are here to police the forum rules. If you obey the rules you will not be given a "short timer". If, however, you break the rules, then your knowledge is irrelevant. And, if you are a long time member, then moderators are less likely to cut you some slack as you should know better.

2. The period of time you have been a member here does not mean your opinions are any more valid than anyone else's, nor does it mean you are in any way superior. The subtle suggestion that this might be the case simply adds further weight to the calls of elitism.

Now, point that gun away from your foot!

Huh? I was talking to Rick, and not well you.

OK - though you certainly did talk about me, or more correctly, moderators - so I felt, particularly in light of the nature of your comment, that a response was warranted.

I don't see anything in "my" comment about my knowledge being superior, or anything about how long I've been around. Those are your personal uncalled for assumptions.

Fair enough - my apologies if I mistook what you meant, it was not my intention I assure you.

Can a moderator ban somebody because they don't like what they have to say even if what they have to say is not breaking any of the written rules?

No - they are not supposed to.

The grey area is trolling, baiting and harassment  of course. And, in this case, Mako and I work together and come to an agreed course of action - and this includes reviewing the posting history of the member in question, for instance.

Based on your response I suspect moderators can do just about anything they want to, rules or not.

They are supposed to, as I clearly said, enforce the forum rules.

I certainly did not imply that they "can do just about anything they want to", and if you interpreted my comment that way then, let me reiterate - moderators are here to ensure that people taking part in the forums are obeying the rules.

I need to turn my car around and get off this one way street.

It's fine. We are simply having a discussion.

And, though it's not normal to discuss moderation in the forums (in fact, discussing moderator actions is against the rules), I appreciate the opportunity to explain, in a brief manner, what we are doing and how we approach the task.

How about this: Moderators are the bestest people ever. I would let my daughter marry one, if I had a daughter.

Hehe!

Seriously though - my response to Rick was meant to be a positive thing!

I really am, as is Mako, interested in the forum being a friendly and constructive environment. We both take the role very seriously and we both do our very best to do the job the way the site admins want us too.

We spend a significant amount of our spare time doing this, and I simply wanted to let people know that we are here to help with troublemakers - just let us know and we will do everything we can. And, as I was careful to say, and perhaps you missed, that means within the rules of the forum and using them as our guideline.

Marcus Antonius Senior Member • Posts: 1,317
Re: Doesn't help.

Mako2011 wrote:

Some of the complainers though do seem to exhibit a a certain sense of entitlement by virtue class. Luckily that seems rare and extremely isolated. Most simply put forth genuine pluses and minuses in a very civil way.

I'm wondering who you are pointing at.

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: i'm afraid you didn't understand the request.
1

Brett Beiner wrote:

For this moderator to comment that 1D users are "elitist", for wanting a forum that is more in tune with their photographic knowledge and experience, shows the extent of his ignorance and that of DPR regarding the purpose of desiring to have a separate forum.

Number one - I'm a member of the forums and I'm just as allowed to have an opinion on this as you are!

Number two - my comment was that some of the points being made and the way they were being made does seem a bit elitist. I did not say that all 1D users are elitist - nor do I think that. Some of my best friends use 1D's, and I myself use them at work some times.

And for him to think that the 6D belongs because it has a full frame sensor is the epitome of ignorance.

You like the "ignorance" word, don't you.

In effect, you are calling the site administrators ignorant for choosing to include the 6D in this forum.

I really don't think what you are saying is any more than opinion, and I really don't see that your opinion is worth any more or less than theirs or anyone else's.

But I do support your right to put them forward in an intelligent and friendly manner (and to this end, perhaps not implying everyone who doesn't agree with you is 'ignorant' would be a reasonable place to start!)

People were screaming for a separate 1D forum many years before the 1DX arrived. The point of having a separate forum had nothing to do with full frame vs. crop...considering that 1D & 1Ds users wanted a 1 series forum that would include both...seven years ago.

Fine, and yet on the first page we have currently two thread discussing the merits of 5D vs 1D bodies. So maybe, just maybe, there is more than one conclusion to be drawn as to what is best for the forums.

Will T
OP Will T Regular Member • Posts: 157
Re: i'm afraid you didn't understand the request.

schmegg wrote:

Brett Beiner wrote:

For this moderator to comment that 1D users are "elitist", for wanting a forum that is more in tune with their photographic knowledge and experience, shows the extent of his ignorance and that of DPR regarding the purpose of desiring to have a separate forum.

Number one - I'm a member of the forums and I'm just as allowed to have an opinion on this as you are!

Number two - my comment was that some of the points being made and the way they were being made does seem a bit elitist. I did not say that all 1D users are elitist - nor do I think that. Some of my best friends use 1D's, and I myself use them at work some times.

And for him to think that the 6D belongs because it has a full frame sensor is the epitome of ignorance.

You like the "ignorance" word, don't you.

In effect, you are calling the site administrators ignorant for choosing to include the 6D in this forum.

I really don't think what you are saying is any more than opinion, and I really don't see that your opinion is worth any more or less than theirs or anyone else's.

But I do support your right to put them forward in an intelligent and friendly manner (and to this end, perhaps not implying everyone who doesn't agree with you is 'ignorant' would be a reasonable place to start!)

People were screaming for a separate 1D forum many years before the 1DX arrived. The point of having a separate forum had nothing to do with full frame vs. crop...considering that 1D & 1Ds users wanted a 1 series forum that would include both...seven years ago.

Fine, and yet on the first page we have currently two thread discussing the merits of 5D vs 1D bodies. So maybe, just maybe, there is more than one conclusion to be drawn as to what is best for the forums.

Schmegg,  Since you are actively arguing in this forum you miss the point of being a moderator.  Being a moderator on another forum I understand that "A MODERATOR MUST BE HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD" than a regular forum user!

-- hide signature --

Will T.
'Make everything as possible as it is simple, but not impossible.'

schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: i'm afraid you didn't understand the request.

Will T wrote:

Schmegg, Since you are actively arguing in this forum you miss the point of being a moderator. Being a moderator on another forum I understand that "A MODERATOR MUST BE HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD" than a regular forum user!

Yeah - perhaps you are right. Sad though, as I am a forum member also. And I have no intention of walking away from that because I have been selected to, and really want to, help out around here.

And, what you have in capitals above is not in our handbook. You'd know this if you were a moderator here.

I don't consider I'm arguing, just putting forward some different points-of-view for the purposes of stimulating discussion. But, one mans discussion is another mans argument I guess.

I could equally just let this thread die off and disappear like the others that have gone before it. Consider that my contributions are keeping it "on the radar". Hehe.

In any case, if you wish, and no one else refers to my statements or misquotes me, I'll go off and be a silent moderator - at least in the case of this thread.

I am left wondering though if you'd be attempting to gag me if I was supporting your views rather than expressing my own, which are counter to yours in this case. Hmm.

PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,578
Re: Doesn't help.
1

Mako2011 wrote:

Some of the complainers though do seem to exhibit a a certain sense of entitlement by virtue class.

Please state which particular replies on this thread exhibit that trait.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads