Who Else would like to see a separate 1D/s/x forum?

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions
cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 1,736
Re: Who Else would like to see a separate 1D/s/x forum?

Can someone summarize the reason to have a separate 1D/s/x forum?

cpharm86's gear list:cpharm86's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III
CampyOne Contributing Member • Posts: 559

Me me me! For an owner of a 1 series camera this forum is useless. It's way too much trouble to wade through the endless 5 series threads trying to find the very occasional 1 series threads. I've pretty much stopped coming here for that reason.

keithinmelbourne
keithinmelbourne Contributing Member • Posts: 885
The current forum classification seems effective

Will T wrote:

I have ever since the 5D was added!

-- hide signature --

Will T. 'Make everything as possible as it is simple, but not impossible.'

By basing the forum on sensor size, people can get a good idea of the current buzz on FF, APS, MFTs etc. I own a 1Ds3, have owned a 5D2 and a 1D3. I have just ordered a 6D based on the chatter in this forum. I suspect that most of the people who own 1D bodies and look at this forum own or have owned or may intend to own a 5D or 6D.

keithinmelbourne's gear list:keithinmelbourne's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +12 more
Mystery Gardener
Mystery Gardener Contributing Member • Posts: 835
+1 for the 1's

It should not be that difficult to start a new 1d(s)(x) series forum. As mentioned above, the search is not all that effective, clicking a single link is much better. Cheers

-- hide signature --

'The question is not what you look at, but what you see'
Thoreau

ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,739

You can only but ask.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Pentax KP Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +10 more
Paul B Jones
Paul B Jones Senior Member • Posts: 2,662
Not me

Just more 1D posts here, of which there aren't that many now.

I don't see how the creation of a separate forum will create more posts.

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
barba
barba Regular Member • Posts: 108
Yes please!

YES! Please!

barba's gear list:barba's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS LG G4
nelsonal Senior Member • Posts: 2,464

Basically its an arguement of network effects (posting in any forum grows in effectiveness the more users their are in a forum).  There are far more owners of 5D series cameras than 1D series cameras, so in a forum where both are combined, the 5D posts overwhelm the 1D posts, the overwhelming nature of them tends to depress future posting from 1D series bodies figuring there's little to no interest.  So 1D owners go elsewhere which usually has the effect of fragmenting them, and greatly reducing the utility of any forum to 1D owners.

For an example, check out the Kodak SLR forum, which consists of a small but devoted following who engage in fruitful discussion with each other that would likely never occur if their forum were combined into the Nikon full frame forum, as a benefit to the rest of us, they tend to post a lot of pictures, and I'm sure represent one of the only knowledge bases about Kodak's DSLRs around.  It's not good that a similar knowledge base about older 1D series cameras may not form if the users who have the knowledge decide this forum doesn't meet their needs.

nelsonal wrote:

Basically its an arguement of network effects (posting in any forum grows in effectiveness the more users their are in a forum). There are far more owners of 5D series cameras than 1D series cameras, so in a forum where both are combined, the 5D posts overwhelm the 1D posts, the overwhelming nature of them tends to depress future posting from 1D series bodies figuring there's little to no interest. So 1D owners go elsewhere which usually has the effect of fragmenting them, and greatly reducing the utility of any forum to 1D owners.

For an example, check out the Kodak SLR forum, which consists of a small but devoted following who engage in fruitful discussion with each other that would likely never occur if their forum were combined into the Nikon full frame forum, as a benefit to the rest of us, they tend to post a lot of pictures, and I'm sure represent one of the only knowledge bases about Kodak's DSLRs around. It's not good that a similar knowledge base about older 1D series cameras may not form if the users who have the knowledge decide this forum doesn't meet their needs.

I read threads in this forum regardless of which of th cameras is being referred to, 1D series or other. If it is an interesting post and possibly a learning experience it doesn't matter to me.

Either way is fine, but with more forum choices I will just bounce from 1 Canon body forum to another reading interesting threads from each of the forums.

I did read somewhere in a thread that those that have the 1D's may be too involved in their professional photography business having no time to post or read in these forums. That though was a one off statement.

Your 1st paragraph does have some value though.

Klaus Regular Member • Posts: 266

nelsonal wrote:

Basically its an arguement of network effects (posting in any forum grows in effectiveness the more users their are in a forum). There are far more owners of 5D series cameras than 1D series cameras, so in a forum where both are combined, the 5D posts overwhelm the 1D posts, the overwhelming nature of them tends to depress future posting from 1D series bodies figuring there's little to no interest. So 1D owners go elsewhere which usually has the effect of fragmenting them, and greatly reducing the utility of any forum to 1D owners.

For an example, check out the Kodak SLR forum, which consists of a small but devoted following who engage in fruitful discussion with each other that would likely never occur if their forum were combined into the Nikon full frame forum, as a benefit to the rest of us, they tend to post a lot of pictures, and I'm sure represent one of the only knowledge bases about Kodak's DSLRs around. It's not good that a similar knowledge base about older 1D series cameras may not form if the users who have the knowledge decide this forum doesn't meet their needs.

Very well said. I totally agree.

-- hide signature --
iamyzrnu New Member • Posts: 16
Too many 5D3 and 6D

Make a 5D3 & a 6D Forum. Give this one back to the Pro Series bodies.

Too many "I got a new camera" , "Congratulations" posts.

IMHO

jedinstvo
jedinstvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,914
How about a forum for irritating people?

That's one we need

talico Contributing Member • Posts: 614

Will T wrote:

-- hide signature --

What would the point of a separate forum be?  Is it about the capabilities of the camera, the operation of the camera, or the skill level of the photographer?

I think it would be very slow.

Tom
My photos http://www.alicoatephotography.com

talico's gear list:talico's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +5 more
cageyfella Regular Member • Posts: 115
Re: How about a forum for irritating people?

jedinstvo wrote:

That's one we need

+10

That's one of the best suggestions I've heard!, even better how bout a full on, hardcore(youcould even be allowed to get personal and call each other names ooohhh), fanboy jousting forum where members don't have to hide their obvious proclivites for wanting to spend most of the day sparring with members of opposite brand camps and obssesing over measurements of minutiae proportions that, the rest of us lay people that are only interested in learning how to take or learn about tools to help take better images don't have time to waste on!  Nothing I love more than coming here to start reading a post about "can someone please give a bit of advice on.." and then about 3 posts into the thread the madness starts, by about post 7 we're into quantum physics that even Ed Whitten would be proud of!

And hey, for those that love watching forum blood sports it could become a form of entertainment(an online colosseum if you will) where , on the days I'm extremely bored from taking pictures all day and reading helpful and useful posts on well balanced forum sites, I could then come to Dpreview:The Divine Spartan Quanta full contact  championships, with my favorite bottle weiss beer , wurst sausage sandwhich and have a good laugh :-)))

IMAGINE  .....

Silicon Sam Regular Member • Posts: 456
Re:

I may be the only one, but I would like to see more on-topic posts here.  Isn't this forum supposed to be about 1D/5D and 6D hardware?

Put your posts that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the camera in the appropriate forum.  There are plenty of forums here, I just hate to see this one be a catch-all.

Silicon Sam's gear list:Silicon Sam's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 300D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +6 more
plevyadophy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,258

Will T wrote:

-- hide signature --

Yes, DEFINITELY!!!

I think it's VERY misguided to have all 35mm cams lumped together simply because they have the same sensor size.

They have different model numbers, often different interfaces and features and are marketed to different audiences. The user groups for each camera type and therefore the issues they are likely to encounter are often very different.

A new Canon 6D is a different beast to that of the Canon 1DX.

And I for one get seriously p!ssed off with having to wade through a zillion posts related to equipment I have no interest in before getting to what I want to read about. And this issue isn't unique to the Canon forum; if you look at the forums for other brands on DPReview, you'll find similar issues there too. And the funny thing is, for Nikon users DPReview provided separate forums for DX cameras and DX Pro cameras, so I don't quite understand why they haven't done a similar thing for Canon's full frame cameras.

So yeah, it's about time for a change.

plevyadophy wrote:

Will T wrote:

-- hide signature --

Yes, DEFINITELY!!!

I think it's VERY misguided to have all 35mm cams lumped together simply because they have the same sensor size.

They have different model numbers, often different interfaces and features and are marketed to different audiences. The user groups for each camera type and therefore the issues they are likely to encounter are often very different.

And I for one get seriously p!ssed off with having to wade through a zillion posts related to equipment I have no interest in before getting to what I want to read about. And this issue isn't unique to the Canon forum; if you look at the forums for other brands on DPReview, you'll find similar issues there too. And the funny thing is, for Nikon users DPReview provided separate forums for DX cameras and DX Pro cameras, so I don't quite understand why they haven't done a similar thing for Canon's full frame cameras.

RE:  "so I don't quite understand why they haven't done a similar thing for Canon's full frame cameras."

Should it be divided then by full frame and cropped or 1D's Pro and 5D/6D?

Richard Franiec
Richard Franiec Senior Member • Posts: 2,532

cpharm86 wrote:

plevyadophy wrote:

Will T wrote:

-- hide signature --

Yes, DEFINITELY!!!

RE: "so I don't quite understand why they haven't done a similar thing for Canon's full frame cameras."

Should it be divided then by full frame and cropped or 1D's Pro and 5D/6D?

The time for FF in DSLR market going mainstream is already here.

I think that allowing separate forum for top professional camera models makes sense as this segment attracts somewhat different audience.

Best wishes

Richard

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +8 more
plevyadophy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,258

cpharm86 wrote:

plevyadophy wrote:

Will T wrote:

-- hide signature --

Yes, DEFINITELY!!!

RE: "so I don't quite understand why they haven't done a similar thing for Canon's full frame cameras."

Should it be divided then by full frame and cropped or 1D's Pro and 5D/6D?

It should be divided like so:

1D Forum

5D/6D Forum

20/30/40/50/60D/7D Forum

Digital Rebel etc Forum

That way cameras and photographers with similar issues can be in one forum. For example, I also use microFT cams. And that forum is an abysmal mess with all sorts of cameras lumped together just because they share the same lens mount and sensor size. You may find that two cams have the same sensor but different firmware. Camera 1 has a firmware bug but Camera 2 doesn't. If I own Camera 2, why on earth should I have to wade through a zillion posts and get all the way down to page 10 or 20 on the Forum before I can find info about the cam I am interested in.

With Canon, you have the 5D Mark III and the 1DX which both share a lot of components and features but the firmware in each cam is different and the way the cams are used are somewhat different and the audience they attract is often different. So it's an absolute pain for me to have to wade through stuff about the 5D Mark III, which I have just a passing interest in, to get to stuff about the 1DX.

And no, the search facility isn't the answer because sometimes a person will start a thread and the post heading doesn't mention the name of the camera to which they are referring, or an unrelated post pops up in the search results simply because the camera you are interested in is mentioned in passing.

PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,578
A curious evolution I'm noticing...

...is that while this was a topic that would generate immediate "you're an elitist" backlash when it was brought up years ago, when only the 5D was put together with the 1D cameras, it now resonates as positive, reasonable request for a signification amount of users.

I guess multiplication of a problem tends to make it more clearly perceivable.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads