metabones lens adapter for Canon EF lenses on Sony E-Mount

Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions
Clark666 Senior Member • Posts: 1,283
metabones lens adapter for Canon EF lenses on Sony E-Mount

The adaptor that claims to make your lens, faster, wider and better!! This is NOT an April’s Fool! | Philip Bloom
An adaptor that turns your current Canon/ Nikon glass (no EF-S or DX) and makes them faster, wide and better optically when mounted on a e-mount Sony NEX
Any body know anything about this magical piece of equipment?

Clark666's gear list:Clark666's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX10 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +7 more
verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 4,058
Wow! (nt)
 verybiglebowski's gear list:verybiglebowski's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 +3 more
seachicken2000
seachicken2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,237
Re: metabones lens adapter for Canon EF lenses on Sony E-Mount

Seems like a pretty neat idea.

I guess you just end up with the lens behaving the way it would on a full frame sensor.

50mm f/1.4 -> 35mm f/1 = 50mm f/1.4 (FF equiv).

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R +21 more
Elevated Visual
Elevated Visual Junior Member • Posts: 44

50mm 1.4 = 50mm 1.2 with higher optical quality than original.

Serhan2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,262
Interesting

Very interesting adapter.

It says "‘Speed Booster’ is a 0.71 x focal reducer" so it should be 0.71x1.5=1.065 multiplier...

So 50mm becomes 53.25mm and 100mm becomes 106.5mm on the crop nex cameras.

seachicken2000 wrote:

Seems like a pretty neat idea.

I guess you just end up with the lens behaving the way it would on a full frame sensor.

50mm f/1.4 -> 35mm f/1 = 50mm f/1.4 (FF equiv).

Hye Regular Member • Posts: 405

Elevated Visual wrote:

50mm 1.4 = 50mm 1.2 with higher optical quality than original.

Sure, I guess, but that's because the adapter allows you to make full use of the optics on a lens designed for FF (instead of a simple crop factor), so I think you're basically just trading increased sensor noise for optical quality.

Hye's gear list:Hye's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7 II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony FE 28mm F2 +2 more
jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,554
re: a pretty tricky question - how about vignetting?

lets suppose we will mount the EF 100/2.8L IS through this magic-reducer on N7, Photozone reports for it vignetting of 0.71 on 1.6x crop EOS body - according to Bloom's overview it will be now 70/2L IS lens on E-mount body; but... will vignette be reduced as well to 0.5 or... be boosted to 1.01, or 1.41 or something else entirely??

jpr2

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,152

Like a teleconverter this might work well with some lenses and not with others.

As stated it basically makes the lens have the same aperture and field of view as it would on full frame.  I.e. a 35mm f/1.4 used on APS-C is equivalent to a 50mm f/2.1 on full frame.  What this adapter will do is make it so a 50mm f/2 lens used on full frame would be the same as the 50mm f/2 lens used on APS-C with this special adapter. So you are getting your full frame equivalent lens.

My guess is it will give some where and that is probably in image quality in some regard.  You are adding optics to the lens that it wasn't designed to have there.  I have seen people discuss these adapters before, maybe they wouldn't work as well on a longer flange camera though, so maybe that is why they haven't been done yet.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Jun2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,237
Great!!!

Hope that's true.

Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Sony a5000 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Hye Regular Member • Posts: 405
Re: re: a pretty tricky question - how about vignetting?

jpr2 wrote:

lets suppose we will mount the EF 100/2.8L IS through this magic-reducer on N7, Photozone reports for it vignetting of 0.71 on 1.6x crop EOS body - according to Bloom's overview it will be now 70/2L IS lens on E-mount body; but... will vignette be reduced as well to 0.5 or... be boosted to 1.01, or 1.41 or something else entirely??

jpr2

If my understanding is correct (from Figure 1 in OP's link), the vignetting w/ the adapter should be comparable to that of the lens on a FF-camera. It doesn't get reduced like it would be if the adapter didn't have any optics at all. In fact, it's possible (likely?) that the additional optics will introduce some additional vignetting.

Hye's gear list:Hye's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7 II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony FE 28mm F2 +2 more
Serhan2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,262

EOS HD will  be testing the same adapter also:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9467/aps-c-and-super-35mm-just-went-full-frame-metabones-speed-booster?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EOSHD+%28EOSHD.com%29

Per his comments, "the Speed Booster shrinks the image to fit the sensor" so you will get the same vignetting.

jpr2 wrote:

jpr2

DOF Vader New Member • Posts: 16

Unbelieveable! MAkes sense in terms of optics.

Looking forward to a more professional review in terms of some technical qualities and proper charts, but this could be a game changer for the NEX format.

jorden mosley
jorden mosley Forum Member • Posts: 51

This could have huge ramification for the photography world.

Getting a Sony, Panasonic, and Olympus's mirrorless cameras to perform like full-frame DSLRs with EF glass could result a lot more folks switching to mirrorless cameras. You already got cameras like the NEX 7, EM5, GH3, really closing the gap between themselves and full-frame cameras in IQ and features. This adapter could potentially close that gap completely. But the question is: should Sony, Panasonic, and Olympus be happy about this or not?

They would benefit from having a increase in camera body sales but on the other-hand this could potentially kill any sales from their own lens lineups. They could still argue that with the size of EF lens being bigger will result in the camera being front heavy and that their lenses are optimized specifically for their sensors, but EF glass is very popular and a lot folks invested a whole lot of money into them.

If this adapter is found to perform as advertised, it will a interesting year in the war between DSLR vs. Mirrorless.

jorden mosley's gear list:jorden mosley's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,588
If I was Canon or Nikon

I would be paying this company $200,000,000 and closing them down right now !!

Don't laugh, it might happen yet. That is clever stuff.

With the way this company has progressed with these adaptors, it won't be long before they do the Sony equivalent and PDAF the darn thing to take Canon and Nikkor lenses, some how. Yep, I would buy them out now !!

All the best.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 27,474

Clark666 wrote:

The adaptor that claims to make your lens, faster, wider and better!! This is NOT an April’s Fool! | Philip Bloom
An adaptor that turns your current Canon/ Nikon glass (no EF-S or DX) and makes them faster, wide and better optically when mounted on a e-mount Sony NEX
Any body know anything about this magical piece of equipment?

There is another thread going on about this. NOTHING NEW HERE!

Listed are about 4 similar EF/EFS to NEX adapters which permit full AF/aperture control. They run over $130 and should work OK.

Then there are numerous cheap $20 ones that are manual only...not so good for a non-manual lens.

Then there is an intermediate model for about $60 which looks like good quality and incorporates it's own aperture mechanism as part of the design. You still need to MF.  Like!

I just posted that in the other thread a couple of hours ago. Too lazy to re-post now.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Sony a7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
FuzzyQball
FuzzyQball Senior Member • Posts: 1,641

Just remember that nex does not have a FF sensor, so it won't be the same as a FF DSLR.

on the other hand, making full use of the glass and allowing all the light on the sensor

sounds good!  There is more glass, but it will be interesting to see how it performs.

-- hide signature --

Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
re: a pretty tricky question - how about vignetting?

Hye wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

jpr2

If my understanding is correct (from Figure 1 in OP's link), the vignetting w/ the adapter should be comparable to that of the lens on a FF-camera. It doesn't get reduced like it would be if the adapter didn't have any optics at all. In fact, it's possible (likely?) that the additional optics will introduce some additional vignetting.

yes, this is my reasoning too, so for our example lens 100/2.8L IS we should be looking at vignetting data for it on FF body, and PZ gives value of 1.55 which is pretty close to the theoretical 1.41, but... only doing real tests will give a full answer

jpr2

re: does downscaling increase apparent IQ or not?

viking79 wrote:

Like a teleconverter this might work well with some lenses and not with others.

My guess is it will give some where and that is probably in image quality in some regard. You are adding optics to the lens that it wasn't designed to have there. I have seen people discuss these adapters before, maybe they wouldn't work as well on a longer flange camera though, so maybe that is why they haven't been done yet.

from purely theoretical standpoint - like downscaling to 16 Mpx is often advocated here for 24 Mpx files from N7 (thus killing the resolution advantage) for comparison purposes with 5N and its 16 Mpx kins

jpr2

re: some very importaht details are trickling down - one of the foremost...
  • DMF mode (direct manual focus) is not supported;
  • is this acceptable for a 600$ adapter?
  • esp. as the AF is: "very slow and inadequate for most moving subjects. The autofocus speed is unfit for professional use for sure, and it would disappoint most enthusiasts".

I was just reaching for my CC to pay, but luckily spotted that note about the lack of DMF in time !!

jpr2

Joseph Chew
Joseph Chew Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: re: some very importaht details are trickling down - one of the foremost...

This is a great news for us. I think the idea is borrowed from Contax's adaptor for using medium format lenses on 35mm camera body and the 'condensed' images are brighter and of higher quality, and the price of the adaptor is around few k. Not very sure though, maybe someone who knows can provide more info on this?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads