I want a red eye!

Started Jan 13, 2013 | Questions
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 14,864
I want a red eye!

Photographing coots is challenging with basically two colors black and white. Losing the feather texture or bleaching the beak is far too easily done. I class this one a reasonable effort but there is a third colour, the red eye which is hardly visible.  Does anybody have a suggestion how I can bring out the eye subtly just enough to know it’s there while keeping the rest of the shot intact.

-- hide signature --
 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Priscilla Messinger Senior Member • Posts: 2,992
Re: I want a red eye!

It looks like your focus wasn't on the eye, but on the back. Also, there is not enough light on the head. Not your fault, of course, as you had to deal with the lighting conditions and the position of the bird.

-- hide signature --
Allen Gerdes Veteran Member • Posts: 5,635

Besides bringing up the color of the eye using a curves adjustment layer and mask, I also denoised using Topaz Denoise, added some contrast and adjusted highlights and shadows using Topaz Adjust, and brought out a little more detail with Topaz Detail.

Regards....Allen

faith2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,270
Re:Very nice edit, Allen!! re: I want a red eye!

Allen Gerdes wrote:

Besides bringing up the color of the eye using a curves adjustment layer and mask, I also denoised using Topaz Denoise, added some contrast and adjusted highlights and shadows using Topaz Adjust, and brought out a little more detail with Topaz Detail.

Regards....Allen

-- hide signature --

-Lois-
"God doesn't give us what we can handle; God helps us handle what we are given." -Unknown

Allen Gerdes Veteran Member • Posts: 5,635
Re: Thanks Lois (nt)

Allen

Pixel Poetry
Pixel Poetry Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590

Used Lightroom to increase luminance and saturation to red.

Pixel Poetry's gear list:Pixel Poetry's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
faith2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,270
Re:Chris, another fine edit. re: I want a red eye!

Pixel Poetry wrote:

Used Lightroom to increase luminance and saturation to red.

-- hide signature --

-Lois-
"God doesn't give us what we can handle; God helps us handle what we are given." -Unknown

Pixel Poetry
Pixel Poetry Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590
Thank you Lois (nt)
 Pixel Poetry's gear list:Pixel Poetry's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Skip
Skip Senior Member • Posts: 1,920

I have PSE 11. It seemed like a straight forward way was to select just the eye with the round selection tool, increase the red saturation, then increase the brightness - I guess similar to what the LR reply said. I don't know how this bird should look so what follows is probably over the top, but the sliders could be adjusted as required. Anyway, I understood you to say that you didn't want the rest of the photo messed with, so the selection tool seemed like the way to go.

Skip's gear list:Skip's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Sony a77 II
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 12,847

In Photoshop zoom in then select the eye using the Elliptical Marquee Tool.  Hold down the Shift + Alt keys to keep the selection round and expand it from the center of the eye.  You can simultaneously press the Space key to move the selection while creating it.

I feathered the selection by 1 pixel the created a new layer containing only the eye by pressing Ctrl + J. I reset the Blend Mode to Screen, which brightens but doesn't effect the color of the eye. You can duplicate this layer again if you want it even brighter.

Flatten if you want or just do all the other edits you want such as levels, noise reduction, etc.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
Michael Edward Rudge Veteran Member • Posts: 7,073
Re: Lovely shot, I just tweeked it a bit

In PS sc2, I changed to CMYK and adjusted the levels, then sharpened 1 step, popped on a border.

Thanks for the play

Michael North Wales

Red Eyed Duckypotimiouse

Michael Edward Rudge's gear list:Michael Edward Rudge's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Canon Pixma MG5350
Trevor Carpenter
OP Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 14,864

Thanks to everybody especially Pixel Peeper and Michael, who I thought did extremely well at getting the subtle change I was looking for.

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Trevor Carpenter
OP Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 14,864

Michael Edward Rudge wrote:

In PS sc2, I changed to CMYK and adjusted the levels, then sharpened 1 step, popped on a border.

Thanks for the play

Michael North Wales

Excuse my ignorance why does changing to CMYK help? Do you change it back after?

-- hide signature --
Michael Edward Rudge Veteran Member • Posts: 7,073

I seem to get more control over the color range, when adjusting levels, then change back to RGB to post it on dp

Michael Edward Rudge's gear list:Michael Edward Rudge's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Canon Pixma MG5350
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads