NEX-7 Wi-Fi Capable (With Optional Transmitter) ???

Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions
Vaughn T.Winfree
Vaughn T.Winfree Veteran Member • Posts: 4,036
NEX-7 Wi-Fi Capable (With Optional Transmitter) ???

OK....Looking back over the specs on the NEX -7 there's the statement: Wi-Fi Capable (With Optional Transmitter)

Are they simply referring to the SD cards that are Wi-Fi capable? Or are they referring to another device? Thanks in advance for the information.

-- hide signature --

Vaughn T. Winfree
These are not the Droids you are looking for~~
'See what the camera see's. Let the lens interpret what can be. Capture a moment in time telling a story.'--Vaughn T. Winfree

Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list:Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bruce Bowman Contributing Member • Posts: 572
Re: NEX-7 Wi-Fi Capable (With Optional Transmitter) ???

I can't seem to find it... where did you notice this?

When the -7 was first advertised, Sony had a hot-shoe mounted wireless trigger which has since fallen off the face of the earth. But that wasn't WiFi.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
NEX-5n (gone), NEX-7

Bruce Bowman's gear list:Bruce Bowman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +14 more

Or is this what you might have read...

Flash

• Flash Compensation : ±3.0 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
  • Flash Coverage : FOV coverage up to 18 mm (in the focal length)
  • Flash Metering System : Pre-flash TTL
  • Flash Modes : Auto, Fill-flash, Slow Sync., Rear Sync., Hi-speed sync., Wireless (with external flash), Off
  • Flash Type : Built-in, Pop-up Auto
  • Guide Number : 6 (in meters at ISO100)
  • Recycling Time : Approx. 4 sec.
-- hide signature --

Bruce
NEX-5n (gone), NEX-7

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +14 more
jtosbo00
jtosbo00 Forum Member • Posts: 63

I have the NEX-7 and a wireless SD card (Eye-Fi). Although I have not seen it advertised the way you mentioned it, the NEX-7 does show an icon with arrows indicating transmission of content (upload and download). I think this is what it means.  I'm not aware of any other devices that enable the NEX-7 to be Wi-Fi capable.

jtosbo00's gear list:jtosbo00's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +9 more
Vaughn T.Winfree
OP Vaughn T.Winfree Veteran Member • Posts: 4,036
Re: NEX-7 Wi-Fi Capable (With Optional Transmitter) ??? LINK

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/817843-REG/Sony_NEX_7K_B_NEX_7_Digital_Camera.html

Look under the performance tab as you scroll down... I am looking in other media sources as well including the ebooks...

-- hide signature --

Vaughn T. Winfree
These are not the Droids you are looking for~~
'See what the camera see's. Let the lens interpret what can be. Capture a moment in time telling a story.'--Vaughn T. Winfree

Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list:Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +1 more

OK... found it at B&H:

Performance

Continuous Shooting: Up to 10 fps
Self Timer 2 sec, 10 sec
Connectivity HDMI C (Mini), USB 2.0
Wi-Fi Capable (With Optional Transmitter) Yes
Software Requirements Windows: XP (SP3), Vista (SP2), 7
Mac: OS X 10.3 or later

I haven't seen this at the Sony Store where I searched for "WiFi" in Overview and Specifications. Must be a B&H typo.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
NEX-5n (gone), NEX-7

scottacus Regular Member • Posts: 141

It means that the NEX-7 can display whether the wifi antenna in an Eye Fi is on, and can turn th antenna off via the menu to save battery.

Mike Boreham Senior Member • Posts: 1,354

jtosbo00 wrote:

I have the NEX-7 and a wireless SD card (Eye-Fi). Although I have not seen it advertised the way you mentioned it, the NEX-7 does show an icon with arrows indicating transmission of content (upload and download). I think this is what it means. I'm not aware of any other devices that enable the NEX-7 to be Wi-Fi capable.

Does this set up enable transfer from NEX7 to iPhone while out in the field?

Thanks

Mike Boreham's gear list:Mike Boreham's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Apple iPhone X +5 more
Osobogly New Member • Posts: 4

Bruce do you mean you found another actual accessory for wifi on the NEX7? 
Would you mind including a link to what you did find? thanks!  I'm trying to locate options for my wife as I'm upgrading to the a7II and will be handing off my beloved little nex7 to her.  I'd appreciate any feedback you have. I hear the eye-fi technology is still extremely frustrating.

Osobogly's gear list:Osobogly's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7 II
pwmoree
pwmoree Regular Member • Posts: 487

I have used the eyefi card a few times but found it cumbersome and slow. It does use wifi to transmit your shots to your ipad also in the field without with direct wifi from the Nex7 to the ipad. I stopped using it a long time ago. To slow.  Peter.

pwmoree's gear list:pwmoree's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads