RX100 to complement X-E1

Started Jan 13, 2013 | Questions
mmbn
mmbn Regular Member • Posts: 211
RX100 to complement X-E1

Hi all,

I'm looking for a pocketable camera to complement my X-E1. After switching from the (first) NEX 5 which fitted large pockets, I'd like something really small as my always have with me cam....

Will I be disappointed from IQ/handling??

Cheers

Martin

mmbn's gear list:mmbn's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D200
ANSWER:
rosvo Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: RX100 to complement X-E1

mmbn wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking for a pocketable camera to complement my X-E1. After switching from the (first) NEX 5 which fitted large pockets, I'd like something really small as my always have with me cam....

Cheers

Martin

a lot cheaper : x20  !

Brad Morris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,495

mmbn wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers

Martin

I have both. X-E1 has stunning image quality but the quirky AF can be a little frustrating at times. The RX100 is a superb pocketable camera. The absolute image quality is not quite what the X-E1 can produce but AF speed is superior and the camera is generally easy to use.

RX100 Image quality in low light is significantly better than my Nikon D200.

I really love the RX100 for what it is and it actually gets more use than the Fuji

-- hide signature --
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
photo perzon
photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,648
Consider Fuji XF1, RX100, Canon S110, and X20

To see about IQ.  The Sony RX100 is great but skin tones are not Fuji.  Hard to find XF1 samples for skin tones.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X70 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Apple iPhone X
Zardoz
Zardoz Senior Member • Posts: 1,249
Re: Consider Fuji XF1, RX100, Canon S110, and X20

photo perzon wrote:

but skin tones are not Fuji

Yes, they are.

Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,676

Hi,

I got a detailed report of the RX100 on my blog with lots of samples.

http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com/?cat=17

If you want a short version:

IQ wise you will be happy but handling is compromised. Hope that helps.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
scst48 Contributing Member • Posts: 552

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Hi,

I got a detailed report of the RX100 on my blog with lots of samples.

http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com/?cat=17

If you want a short version:

IQ wise you will be happy but handling is compromised. Hope that helps.

-- hide signature --

I have both since a while. If you use the cams for street you will be pleased with the RX100 because AF is really fast plus you have skind dedection etc. IQ wise its behind the EX1 but
that has to be expected. The colors are a matter of post processing. Even though I havnt tried it yet I am sure, that the FUJI colors can be matched.

-- hide signature --

Stefan

scst48's gear list:scst48's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon D810 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +7 more
mngsmt Regular Member • Posts: 303
RX100 $ == 18-55/2.8-4 $

Something i was thinking for some time now:

The RX100 costs about the same as the 18-55/2.8-4. Image quality is not the same, obviously, but it's really pocketable. So I'd rather buy a RX100 for the times i want convenience and use the X-E1 with primes for its pure image quality. Just my 2 ct...

Dabbler
Dabbler Senior Member • Posts: 2,036

I've. Read the RX100 suffers from highlight clipping, have you seen this? The maximum shutter speed of 1/2000 coupled with no filter mount or built in ND filter probably requires small aperture in bright light too.

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler's gear list:Dabbler's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D800 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7S Sony Alpha a7 II +16 more
mmbn
OP mmbn Regular Member • Posts: 211
Thanks!

Many thanks to all for sharing your arguments and views, the RX100 seems to be quite promising!

I'm a little bit scared, the X-E1 (as Brad already menzioned) may collect more dust than I care for ...

On the other hand - each one has its advantages and its particular purposes

Martin

p.s. Thanks to Joachim for posting the reviews link!

mmbn's gear list:mmbn's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D200
Re: Consider Fuji XF1, RX100, Canon S110, and X20

photo perzon wrote:

To see about IQ. The Sony RX100 is great but skin tones are not Fuji. Hard to find XF1 samples for skin tones.

Fuji trumps Sony for white balance in general, not just skin tones but then again there is something magical in the way the fuji nails white balance better than just about else.

-- hide signature --
Re: Thanks!

mmbn wrote:

Many thanks to all for sharing your arguments and views, the RX100 seems to be quite promising!

I'm a little bit scared, the X-E1 (as Brad already menzioned) may collect more dust than I care for ...

On the other hand - each one has its advantages and its particular purposes

Martin

p.s. Thanks to Joachim for posting the reviews link!

For a formal photo shoot/occasion I would take the Fuji ahead of the Sony every time.

Thing is, something small and pocketable tends to be taken along more often to those situations that are not a specific photo ops.

-- hide signature --
redzob Regular Member • Posts: 141

I have an RX100 to accompany my X-Pro1 and X100 (I appear to have an addiction for cameras with 1's ans x's...)

I guess I was thinking exactly the same way as many of the other posters insofar as having a little pocketable cam with a big sensor about my person all the time was a good idea.  The Sony is a great camera and a wonder of miniaturization (made even better by the Franiec grip), but for some reason I'm a little underwhelmed with it and keep returning to the Fujis.

The film effects (particularly the Pro Neg) Jpegs on the Fuji's mean I simply don't need to process RAW to get the images I want, whereas I keep finding the Sony Jpegs lacking.  So much so that I was considering exchanging it for an XF-1 (there goes the addiction again).

But I have returned to carrying my 2 year old X100 around with me and just love it - I suspect I'm just old school, but I adore the handling, size and viewfinder.

The most frustrating thing is that I'm definitely keen on the x100s - Fuji appears to have listened (again) and made an already great camera just about perfect.

redzob's gear list:redzob's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +7 more
DFPanno
DFPanno Veteran Member • Posts: 5,404
Forget Canon. RX100 why out front.
Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,694

I have Nikon D800E, XE1 and Sony RX100. They all serve different purposes. I intended XE1 as a more compact but superb camera for times I did not want to lug D800E around.

I was taken by the positive reviews of the RX100.

I am finding the 3 complement each other very well. D800E of course is the superior camera in all ways but it is also largish and heavy and use it when I am looking to get maximum image quality.

The XE1 gives superb images with fantastic colour and is easy to carry around.

RX100 is super good at videos - steady shot just makes them smooth and no jitter and the zoom is smooth and non distracting, the AF in video works really well. Images are great and whilst not as good as the other 2 is way ahead of a compact camera.

The sweep panorama function of both XE1 and RX100 is a great tool as well.

The main advantage of the RX100 is its pocketability. A fixed lens is handy as there is no temptation to spend too much money on lenses!

RX100 image quality is excellent I doubt you will be disappointed. Also there are some great accessories for the RX100. Mine is totally pimped out and looks great and is very haveable.

Funnily enough I took a panorama using both XE1 and RX100 to show a comparison of the 2 just today. I took the same panorama with both Fuji 35mm F1.4 and 18-55mm zoom at F8.

I will post the results back here in a day or so once I get a chance to process the images.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
Joachim Gerstl

That' how I see it too:

Fuji X to replace a DSLR

Sony RX100 to replace an iPhone ( because it is with me now all the time )

-- hide signature --
Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,808
Re: RX100 $ == 18-55/2.8-4 $

mngsmt wrote:

Something i was thinking for some time now:

The RX100 costs about the same as the 18-55/2.8-4. Image quality is not the same, obviously, but it's really pocketable. So I'd rather buy a RX100 for the times i want convenience and use the X-E1 with primes for its pure image quality. Just my 2 ct...

thats what I did, returned the zoom and got rx100, using xpro1 with primes. the rx100 easily surpass the m43 I had before.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,808

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

That' how I see it too:

Fuji X to replace a DSLR

Sony RX100 to replace an iPhone ( because it is with me now all the time )

-- hide signature --

..and you won't get bothered with many calls on rx100 either..

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Joachim Gerstl

You are right. That's the main advantage.

-- hide signature --
rosvo Regular Member • Posts: 224

... why not wait a bit and try the new fuji x20, maybe you'll feel more at home with it

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads