Throw away ink

Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions
dwightt Junior Member • Posts: 47
Throw away ink

I print on my Epson 4000s and 7600s as a hobby, not to make any money. I enjoy being able to print large copies of my astronomy photos. However the cost of the ink has made me switch to the Cone ink system with refillable cartridges. I received the kit today and before installing them in my system I took apart the empty 110 and 220 carts I had saved to see how much ink was left over in an empty cart.

I found that I had 25 to 30ml of ink left in the 110ml carts.  Into the refillable carts the ink went.  I also saw that I had around 30 to 40ml of ink left in the 220ml carts.  The most I had was 55ml of ink in an empty 220ml cart.  That is a lot, half of an 110ml cart. ‚Äč I had enough throw away Cyan ink to fill my new cart.

So, if you are on a budget or not making money printing, save your "empty" cartridges and collect the ink and use the refillable ones.

Dwight

dwightt's gear list:dwightt's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 350D Nikon D1X Nikon D2X +12 more
Rkelac Regular Member • Posts: 466
Re: Throw away ink

Did you put the OEM ink in the cartridges with the Cone ink?

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8
OP dwightt Junior Member • Posts: 47

At the moment I am just using the left over ink since there was so much of it.  I see that the Cone ink can be mixed with the OEM ink.

Dwight

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 350D Nikon D1X Nikon D2X +12 more
Rkelac Regular Member • Posts: 466

I mix them.  I probably should redo the profiles after a while though.

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8
fft81 Contributing Member • Posts: 945

Rkelac wrote:

I mix them. I probably should redo the profiles after a while though.

Be careful which inks you mix, some combinations can cause clogs. If 3rd party ink sais that you have to purge lines before use, you cant mix that third party ink with oem.

OP dwightt Junior Member • Posts: 47

That is why I went with Cone ink. They are known to work well with OEM ink.

Dwight

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,474

dwightt wrote:

That is why I went with Cone ink. They are known to work well with OEM ink.

Dwight

Original EPSON OEM carts will Always have ink left over which normally gets thrown out. In their 3800 and 3880 carts which hold about 80ml there is always about 8-13 ml left even whent he cart is declared bone dry.

I use refillables for some of my epsons and been recently refilling them with OEM ink harvested from 700 ml Carts from the biggest Epsons K3 printers. I buy these on Ebay as cheap as $145 a piece. 700ml for $145 and you can do the math and easily see that is the best way to go. Specially on 3800 and 3880.

Yes I also been using IS and OCP inks which require profiing to provide great color.

Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads