Anyone else disapointed

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,085
Re: Anyone else disapointed

It would have been nice if you wrote or called Canon and told them your expectations. Leave enough time for them to accomplish all your requirements. No one called they thought everything was OK

John

rob_Il Regular Member • Posts: 365

RedFox88 wrote:

rob_Il wrote:

Only good thing is that now we know that Canon (except for Rebel line) looks to be keeping the same bodies for 3-4 years,.

No. It seems both Canon and Nikon are into updating their advanced amateur model (60D and d5200) every 18 to 24 months still. I expect to see a 70D, 7D2, and T5i launched this year. Canon updates its singled digitl model numbers every 3 to 4 years.

The 60d is at 2-1/2 years since release and the 7d is at 3-1/2 years.

rob_Il's gear list:rob_Il's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
SrinathPreddy
SrinathPreddy Regular Member • Posts: 308

CP+ is scheduled for end on month : http://www.cpplus.jp/en/

May be there could be some surprises.....

-- hide signature --

Cheers!!!
Srinath.

SrinathPreddy's gear list:SrinathPreddy's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +4 more
David Naylor
David Naylor Contributing Member • Posts: 725

Agree with OP. Even if I'm not the type to rush out and buy stuff the minute things are released, I still like to have a new camera to read and dream about.

I'm hoping the 7D II will have some game-changing technological advancement that we can't foresee, something that makes it unique and once again far ahead of the competition.

Don Richardson wrote:

Sorry if this has been posted already but I don't know about others but I'm disapointed that the CES is in it's last day without Canon announcing anything for us crop sencor users. I might not have purchased anything but it's been a while since we've had anything new offered. It's would be nice to have something new to talk about besides rumors.

-- hide signature --
 David Naylor's gear list:David Naylor's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +3 more
Brock L
Brock L New Member • Posts: 15

x-vision wrote:

Announcing the 7DII at CES was a long shot. So, I’m not disappointed.
But I will be … at the end of March, if a 7DII is still not announced by that time.

I still think that the 7D (or/and the 60D) will be replaced his spring.
Both cameras are heavily discounted right now. And from a pure business perspective, Canon’s best shot at increasing the price/profitability on these models is … to replace them.

So, time is on our side :-). Hopefully we won't be disappointed by the 7DII price, though.

I don't think they've ever released a DSLR at a CES.

More than likely they'll announce them at CP+ or else at their own presser.

It's almost always the end of Jan to the end of March.  Or else July-Sept.

Brad Nishida wrote:

There is CP+ at the end of the month. I am hopeful.

That's what I'm thinking.

I'm also encouraged by this article.  Though it also makes me think we might be waiting until Aug if they're just filing the patent now.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/patent-noise-aliasing-reduction-for-small-pixels/

elfroggio
MOD elfroggio Senior Member • Posts: 2,796

Brock L wrote:

I'm also encouraged by this article. Though it also makes me think we might be waiting until Aug if they're just filing the patent now.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/patent-noise-aliasing-reduction-for-small-pixels/

Canon is one of the most prolific company when it comes to patents. They are the #1 by far in the photo industry and according to wikipedia, and they are the #3 (of all companies) for 2011.

Canon has thousands of patents that are many years old that they "haven't used" yet.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A

MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,097

Canon traditionally announce their crop-sensor models (7D, 60D) around August/September.

-- hide signature --

>To err is Human. To really foul things up you need a computer.

David Naylor
David Naylor Contributing Member • Posts: 725

But the "traditional" went out the window with the Japanese tsunami. The question is, are they only 6 months behind schedule (with a release coming in Q1) or is it more than that?

MisterBG wrote:

Canon traditionally announce their crop-sensor models (7D, 60D) around August/September.

-- hide signature --

David Naylor's gear list:David Naylor's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +3 more
x-vision
x-vision Senior Member • Posts: 1,225

MisterBG wrote:

Well, Canon has traditionally replaced the xxD series in 12-24 months; the 60D is now ~2.5 years old.
Also, traditionally Canon has replaced the xD camara in 2-3 years - and the 7D is now ~3.5 years old.

So, per Canon's traditions, both the 60D and 7D should have been replaced by now.

TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

x-vision wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

Well, Canon has traditionally replaced the xxD series in 12-24 months; the 60D is now ~2.5 years old.
Also, traditionally Canon has replaced the xD camara in 2-3 years - and the 7D is now ~3.5 years old.

So, per Canon's traditions, both the 60D and 7D should have been replaced by now.

We are in a different economic environment right now. When the economy is booming and cameras are flying off the shelves, companies like Canon and Nikon can afford the R&D and tooling costs to introduce new cameras more often. Today, it is different, it's already become evident that historical replacement cycles have no bearing.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
x-vision
x-vision Senior Member • Posts: 1,225

TTMartin wrote:

... it's already become evident that historical replacement cycles have no bearing.

Same for historical announcement dates.

Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,230

hires wrote:

Is there any difference between the 60d & 7D 18 MP sensor and the Rebel series 18 MP sensor?

No.

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
elfroggio
MOD elfroggio Senior Member • Posts: 2,796

Y0GI wrote:

hires wrote:

Is there any difference between the 60d & 7D 18 MP sensor and the Rebel series 18 MP sensor?

No.

No difference in the CMOS, (that was my understanding but see TTMartin in the next item of the thread) but there is a big difference in the firmware and the processing of the image, especially when the output is jpeg. A few month ago I borrowed a T4i and tested again my 7D, the jpeg from the 7D felt better. I can't find the jpegs right now (I may have deleted them).

-- hide signature --

Thanks

TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

Y0GI wrote:

hires wrote:

No.

Actually yes there is:

As a minimum the 7D and the Rebel/60D sensors differ in that the 7D has dual data paths in the sensor due to the dual DIGIC processors.

The Rebel T4i is a completely different sensor than the other Rebels/60D in that the T4i incorporates phase detect autofocus into the image sensor.

Whether there are other differences between the sensors is unknown.

It was long rumored on the internet that the T1i and 50D shared the same sensor, but, this latter turned out to be false as the T1i sensor lacked the gapless microlenses of the 50D.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
hires Regular Member • Posts: 425

I always thought that there wasn't any real difference in the IQ between all of the 18 mp sensors under ideal conditions. That is the same lens under ideal conditions will probably give you an almost indistinguishable RAW image file on all of the 18 mp sensors.  Of course, you're going to get a lot more perfectly focused images with a 7D than with a 2Ti.

Brock L

MisterBG wrote:

-- hide signature --

They also traditionally announce their xxxD / Txi models in Feb/March; but they launched the 650D / T4i in July last year.  It was 6 months late.

The 70D is overdue so it's very possible it will be at CP+ or in march.

The 7D Mark II there is no history for that model tier so a conclusion can't be drawn.  But it is a competitor for the D7000, which will likely get refreshed at CP+ since it's just been discontinued.   So it's entirely possible that will be announced soon as well.  If not now, almost certainly in July.

Brock L

elfroggio wrote:

Y0GI wrote:

hires wrote:

No.

No difference in the CMOS, (that was my understanding but see TTMartin in the next item of the thread) but there is a big difference in the firmware and the processing of the image, especially when the output is jpeg. A few month ago I borrowed a T4i and tested again my 7D, the jpeg from the 7D felt better. I can't find the jpegs right now (I may have deleted them).

-- hide signature --

Thanks

I've compared the RAW files from a 7D, 60D & T4i.  I think the 7D makes better RAW files, followed by the 60D.  The phase detect on the T4i chip causes a little noise IMO.

As far as the JPEGs though, I think the T4i does a better job.  The 7D may have dual processors but the DIGIC 5 is supposed to b 7x faster than the DIGIC 4.

I have my reservations as to the accuracy of the reviews as the method doesn't use the same basis for display & recording & uses software as opposed to a spectroradiometer to calculate accuracy; but it's the only source I've found so far comparing JPEG color accuracy.  RAW it doesn't matter obviously.

T4i - 6D - 1Dx

Color accuracy tests also show the T4i (JPEG mode) is more true than 60D & 7D.  The only camera (Nikon or Canon) that bests it is the 6D & 1Dx.  Again another reason I take the measurement w/ a grain of salt is it ranks the 6D above the 5D Mark III and in my experience the 5D Mark III has noticeably more accurate colors than the 6D.  The pictures I've taken and looked at on my iPad while looking at what I've taken a picture of (going back & forth) looks very good in color accuracy.

& the iPad (3 & 4) is one of (if not the very best) portable calibrated monitors.

http://www.displaymate.com/Gamut_10.html

I expect the 70D & 7D Mark II to best the T4i though (in RAW & JPEG).

andrewsf Contributing Member • Posts: 584

Not at all disappointed.

Recently my focus has been on shooting 35mm film and frequenting analogue forums. The technology involved is minimal, to say the least. Its kind of refreshing actually after focusing on the digital world for so many years and always waiting on the next big thing.

When you see absolutely amazing images created on an entirely manual camera that is decades old, there's a realisation that perhaps the latest and greatest isn't as necessary as the marketing folk would have you believe.

The pictures I see on here in 2013 are actually very similar in quality both technically and aesthetically to the pictures I saw posted here 5 years ago. New tech is of little consequence to me, personally

andrewsf's gear list:andrewsf's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads