FZ 200 Dark blotches on images - advice please

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Questions
patmac3 New Member • Posts: 4
FZ 200 Dark blotches on images - advice please

Hi All,

I have just moved from a simple P&S to a 'bridge' and used the FZ200 on New Year's Day - our first bright day in some time.

On 2 photos taken at full zoom I have quite marked dark purple patches - can anyone help me understand why these are showing and what I might be doing wrong. I bought the FZ200 as a step up and hope to take lots of photos with it in the Far East in March so I am trying to get used to it beforehand.

I am attaching the 2 photos and a third showing one of the scenes at less than full zoom.

No blotches

Dark blotches at full zoom

Many thanks for any helpful comments.

Pat

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Barrie Davis
Barrie Davis Forum Pro • Posts: 21,460
Re: FZ 200 Dark blotches on images - advice please

patmac3 wrote:

Hi All,

I have just moved from a simple P&S to a 'bridge' and used the FZ200 on New Year's Day - our first bright day in some time.

On 2 photos taken at full zoom I have quite marked dark purple patches - can anyone help me understand why these are showing and what I might be doing wrong. I bought the FZ200 as a step up and hope to take lots of photos with it in the Far East in March so I am trying to get used to it beforehand.

I am attaching the 2 photos and a third showing one of the scenes at less than full zoom.

No blotches

Dark blotches at full zoom

Many thanks for any helpful comments.

They could be bits of crud in the system somewhere. Let's hope they are not on the sensor, because your lens is not removable, and the sensor can be cleaned only by dismantling the whole camera.

Mostly contaminants in/on the LENS do not show in pictures, but your lens is of considerable zoom range, and may be an exception in this regard.

Do a DUST TEST by photographing a plain tone that fills the frame. Shoot at your smallest aperture,..f/11 or f16 or whatever it is. For a plain tone test target an overcast sky is ideal, but a brigtly lit ceiling is also good. Use low ISO; don't worry what shutter speed is necessary. Repeat the test at the various f-lengths available.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Barrie Davis's gear list:Barrie Davis's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
rimshot Regular Member • Posts: 351

Crud on the sensor is probably the answer..Sometimes some lubricant can get to the sensor. It looks more like that to me than dust..Try what the previous poster suggested..If you can take it back, that might be better than sending it in for service, (faster anyway). I just sent my Canon S100 in for service (lens error) and they had it back in about 10 days, over Christmas, even, so if you can wait, send it in..Mine crapped out on a trip to Rome. Fortunately, I had two other cameras for backup..Jimmymac

rimshot's gear list:rimshot's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 +2 more
Dutchpepper
Dutchpepper Senior Member • Posts: 1,505

To me it looks like something on sensor or inside the lens, I had a similar problem with my Sony Hx20v I rang support  and they wanted it sent back for repair they ended up replacing the lens. all under warranty. So If I was you don't do anything until you have spoken to Panasonic support and let them sort it out.

Good luck!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loubella/

Dutchpepper's gear list:Dutchpepper's gear list
Sony a5000 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads