Sony RX100 vs Canon S110 - pocketability assessment

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions
sparkston Regular Member • Posts: 174
Sony RX100 vs Canon S110 - pocketability assessment

Hello everyone,

I know this is a classic dilemma, and the technical pros and cons are mostly well known. In my case, although I was strongly attracted by the superior low light performance of the sony, the relative pocketability of the two cameras was the decisive point.

To better assess this, I knocked up 1:1 models of the two cameras as shown below, and proceeded to try them out in the various pockets and bags in which I might want to carry them.

This exercise quickly forced me to the conclusion that the RX100 was too bulky for my needs.

RX100 on left, s110 on right

I had thought my children would like them to play with, but they turned their noses up (kids today...) so if anyone would like to try them out, let me know!

Sparkston

Canon PowerShot S110 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
crystalfactory New Member • Posts: 14
Re: Sony RX100 vs Canon S110 - pocketability assessment

I chose the Canon s110 for its size  but yours looks more tactile!!!!

crystalfactory's gear list:crystalfactory's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Ricoh GR Digital Olympus E-30 Nikon 1 V1
mauijohn Forum Member • Posts: 91
Re: Sony RX100 vs Canon S110 - pocketability assessment Your camera was lighter I'm sure than mine.
mcshan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,972

Both are too big. The Nikon Coolpix S01 is the way to go.  Just kidding...the Canon and Sony are both small cameras.

mcshan's gear list:mcshan's gear list
Kodak DC200
OP sparkston Regular Member • Posts: 174

no need for a model of the the S01- just use a bar of soap!

Sparkston

michellee New Member • Posts: 1

How does the S110 do with low light? I had an S90, which I liked-- I like Canons, but images taken at low light/high ISO never really turned out for me. It also seemed slow to focus and was prone to produce blurry images if there was any movement or low light. I'm drawn to the RX100, which hopefully solves this problem in a pocketable-ish size, but I also like the S110's wifi feature...

LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926

Wife has the S95 and RX100…she really prefers the RX100 and has taken some great photos with it...

RX100 in the pocket

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

OP sparkston Regular Member • Posts: 174

Michelle,

Although the s110 should be somewhat better than the s95 in low light since it has a more modern CMOS sensor, the RX100 is much better than either in this regard.

The key advantages of the s110 over the RX100 are it's wide angle lens, its touch screen interface (some consider the ergonomy generally to be better), and size. I would not place great importance on WIFI, since you can add this to the RX100 with an Eye-Fi memory card.

As I mentioned in my initial post, size is absolutely critical to me, which is why I went for the s110. Otherwise, I would most likely have bought the RX100.

Sparkston

bibi0012 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,153

Maybe you will love powershot N.

bibi0012's gear list:bibi0012's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
technic Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932

sparkston wrote:

Although the s110 should be somewhat better than the s95 in low light since it has a more modern CMOS sensor, the RX100 is much better than either in this regard.

In theory RX100 is much better yes, but I doubt the low light advantage is so big in real life. S110 seems to have a more effective IS unit, and RX100 needs more stopping down for sharp corners (not an issue for most low light images, but still ...). Canon also seems to have a bit better jpeg processing. In real life, judging from posts from users who own/owned both, the difference seems to be about one stop in favour of RX100 - significant but hardly 'much better'.

And while RX100 is a very innovative camera, it has quite some quirks and QA issues, more than the relatively 'mature' S110.

Your wood models are a great idea to test pocketability. Many users also mention the significantly higher weight of RX100 compared to S100/110. That extra weight could help in stabilizing the camera (depending on how one holds the camera), but it is a negative for portability - especially if you want to keep the camera in a shirt pocket.

GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 7,753

For what it's worth, the G15 is shirt pocketable owing to its slimness.  A little heavy perhaps; but it fits easily.  My S90 is much better, even with the Franiec grip.

I've had very good success with the S90 at ISO 1600.  To get the best from the S90, you need to use one of the "creative" modes - I use Program mostly; and also kick up the sharpening.  Canon picked some very soft defaults for this camera and the G11, and when they brought out the S95 and G12, they added more sharpening to the default settings.  Adding +1 or even +2 sharpening in Custom in the My Colors menu really makes all the difference.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon G7 X II +2 more
afm Regular Member • Posts: 344

You must have very small pockets and too much time on your hands.

afm's gear list:afm's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
irportal Junior Member • Posts: 45

Very nice test and as an owner of an RX100 I agree with your conclusions. The S series is just that much smaller to make it more pocketable and easier to carry around. The RX100 has better IQ, but the only pocket you can really carry it around is a cargo pocket or jacket inner pocket. Otherwise it sticks out too much.

Jeff Peterman
Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,599

There's one other way that the S110 is much better than the RX100 - price. The RX100 is $300 more than the S110 (in the US), and I just couldn't justify spending that much more on my pocket camera.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +18 more
PaulRivers Veteran Member • Posts: 7,420

ha! Those wooden models are awesome.

I face the same dilemma, though I had the opportunity to try both cameras in person. The rx100 is just a hair to big. I was definitely debating it though, as it's just *so close* to the s100 in size.

I haven't bought it, but it's mostly because -
1. I already own an s100
2. It's high price - especially compared to the s100 that's already payed for
3. I just don't take as many pictures as I used to
It's definitely been on the fence for me though...my guess is that Canon will come out with an s110 replacement this fall that will keep the s110 form factor, but use tech similar to Sony's to put a larger sensor in it. That's purely a personal guess, but I would bet Canon will look at the situation and also feel that an s110 replacement with a larger sensor would do well. Drawback is that they also have a tendency to arbitrarily remove features just so they can add them back in in the next version, so it might be another 2 years before something decent comes out from them...

Jeff Peterman
Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,599

Assuming there's the space, simply replacing the sensor on the S110 with a Sony sized one would be a big problem - the larger sensor would have serious vignetting from the lens. So, they need to replace the lens. By the time you'be made those two changes, you have to change the body. By the time you've done that, there wouldn't be much left from where they started.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +18 more
technic Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932

Jeff Peterman wrote:

Assuming there's the space, simply replacing the sensor on the S110 with a Sony sized one would be a big problem - the larger sensor would have serious vignetting from the lens. So, they need to replace the lens. By the time you'be made those two changes, you have to change the body. By the time you've done that, there wouldn't be much left from where they started.

fully agree, but would be interesting to see what RX100 competitor Canon can come up with. At least it could be a more 'polished' product than the Sony, but it will probably be difficult to beat the RX100 on most of its specs/features.

LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926

GeraldW wrote:

For what it's worth, the G15 is shirt pocketable owing to its slimness. A little heavy perhaps; but it fits easily. My S90 is much better, even with the Franiec grip.

I've had very good success with the S90 at ISO 1600. To get the best from the S90, you need to use one of the "creative" modes - I use Program mostly; and also kick up the sharpening. Canon picked some very soft defaults for this camera and the G11, and when they brought out the S95 and G12, they added more sharpening to the default settings. Adding +1 or even +2 sharpening in Custom in the My Colors menu really makes all the difference.
--
Jerry

Agreed Jerry, I would never carry the RX100 very far in my Shirt Pocket or the S95 for that matter, gave the S90 to my Daughter In Law and she does well with it….yes the S90 and S95 are classics in my book, just excellent all around P&S cam's...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,106

technic wrote:

sparkston wrote:

In theory RX100 is much better yes, but I doubt the low light advantage is so big in real life. S110 seems to have a more effective IS unit, and RX100 needs more stopping down for sharp corners (not an issue for most low light images, but still ...). Canon also seems to have a bit better jpeg processing. In real life, judging from posts from users who own/owned both, the difference seems to be about one stop in favour of RX100 - significant but hardly 'much better'.

And while RX100 is a very innovative camera, it has quite some quirks and QA issues, more than the relatively 'mature' S110.

Your wood models are a great idea to test pocketability. Many users also mention the significantly higher weight of RX100 compared to S100/110. That extra weight could help in stabilizing the camera (depending on how one holds the camera), but it is a negative for portability - especially if you want to keep the camera in a shirt pocket.

Surely 1 stop better means twice as good? I think that would be viewed as much better in any other context.

brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657

technic wrote:

Jeff Peterman wrote:

fully agree, but would be interesting to see what RX100 competitor Canon can come up with. At least it could be a more 'polished' product than the Sony, but it will probably be difficult to beat the RX100 on most of its specs/features.

The S100/S110 already beats the RX100 by having a 24mm wide angle lens.  Any change to the canon that caused the loss of the wide angle lens would mean it would be removed from my 'could buy in future' list.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads