Darn! A dust bunny after 3 years on my D300s!

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions
JimPearce
JimPearce Veteran Member • Posts: 9,153
Darn! A dust bunny after 3 years on my D300s!

Still none on my five year old D300. Okay, I did use the blower once, and I'll try the blower on the D300s tomorrow. And all of my lenses are sharp as a razor without calibration - on both cameras. Surely this performance is a result of some deficiency in the technology, such as low resolution?

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D500
Nikon D300 Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
David Lal Veteran Member • Posts: 9,751
Re: Darn! A dust bunny after 3 years on my D300s!

JimPearce wrote:

Still none on my five year old D300. Okay, I did use the blower once, and I'll try the blower on the D300s tomorrow. And all of my lenses are sharp as a razor without calibration - on both cameras. Surely this performance is a result of some deficiency in the technology, such as low resolution?

Nothing to do with megapixel count. Just get yourself a tin of D7K sensor oil and squirt that into the mirror chamber and you'll be OK, should also enhance the in-camera soft focus effect too.

Coincidentally I wet-cleaned (Eclipse + home-made Pec Pad swab) my D300 yesterday. Nothing to it - I've been cleaning my D70 since 2004 about every 6 or 8 weeks and am not a believer in puffing about with a blower (where does the displaced dust go?). I bet you have more dust bunnies than you think you have ...

Good luck, anyway.

David

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624

Since I wet cleaned my D5000 about four months ago, have not had to do it again. Also, when I change lenses, I am not a 'rush to do it' guy, some say (including a well meaning friend of mine the other day, dont leave the mount exposed too much, you will get dust inside.

Well, cleaning lens or changing, I take my time, also in the open ait, and dont see any dust result on the sensor.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.”

JimPearce
OP JimPearce Veteran Member • Posts: 9,153
Sure there are others, but...

Who cares? The big one was quite visible and easy to blow away. I took a test shot afterward and found six small ones that won't likely show in my shots which are invariably f8 or wider. I hope Nikon gets their QC act together before they introduce the D400. I'd like a new pair of cameras as trouble free as these.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D500
Rockwallaby Regular Member • Posts: 480

Your post brought a smile to my face Jim.  There are so many posts in the Nikon forums about how people "need to" clean their sensors regularly.

Like you, I have a D300 and a D300s.  I got the D300 when it was introduced and the D300s is about 2 years old.  Between them they have racked up about 250,000 shots out in the field with an average 10 lens changes per day out in the open air.  To date, neither sensor has needed to be "wet cleaned".  Yes I have had some dust bunnies but have only used the rocket blower a half dozen times to fix the offending items.

I had a D200 prior to the D300 and never even had to use a rocket blower on that.

Like you, fingers crossed that we will get the same level of performance from the D400.

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,764

Rockwallaby wrote:

Your post brought a smile to my face Jim. There are so many posts in the Nikon forums about how people "need to" clean their sensors regularly.

You must be talking about the D600 being prone to dust and / or oil coming from the inside of the camera.

Like you, fingers crossed that we will get the same level of performance from the D400.

It's a problem specific to the D600. The D800 does not do that. I hope Nikon has learned its lesson with the bad rap it's getting with the D600, and it won't let this ever occur again in a new camera.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +5 more
fromero Contributing Member • Posts: 907

Do you change lenses in an Hepa filtered clean environment :-)))?

I have used my D70 for three years and my D300 for five years hiking very often during weekends and vacations and I had to clean them regularly.

You have an enviable technique.

-- hide signature --

Francisco Romero

David Lal Veteran Member • Posts: 9,751
Smileys ...

Rockwallaby wrote:

Your post brought a smile to my face Jim. There are so many posts in the Nikon forums about how people "need to" clean their sensors regularly.

And yours brought a smile to mine.

Either you are unbelievably lucky, do not have a very discerning eye or simply do not take any photographs in which there is an appreciable amount of plain, light-coloured background.

Whatever it is, keep doing it.

David

TalkRadio Regular Member • Posts: 223

fromero wrote:

Do you change lenses in an Hepa filtered clean environment :-)))?

I have used my D70 for three years and my D300 for five years hiking very often during weekends and vacations and I had to clean them regularly.

You have an enviable technique.

-- hide signature --

Francisco Romero

Me too with the D70 and D300.  I've found annoying dust bunnies to be fairly common.  It seems like they show up no matter how careful I have been with changing lenses.  More so with the D70 I'd say - probably due to no sensor cleaner.

There's always crap in the air here in Florida.  Your nose ends up telling you this.  Maybe I just live in an area where there's a lot of airborne stuff but it has caused me to only change lenses inside a house or car.  Only then with the camera body aimed purposefully down.

I cannot imagine making several lens changes every day and not just having splotches all over my images.

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery Veteran Member • Posts: 3,735

TOF guy wrote:

Rockwallaby wrote:

You must be talking about the D600 being prone to dust and / or oil coming from the inside of the camera.

Like you, fingers crossed that we will get the same level of performance from the D400.

It's a problem specific to the D600. The D800 does not do that. I hope Nikon has learned its lesson with the bad rap it's getting with the D600, and it won't let this ever occur again in a new camera.

-- hide signature --

I thought the same, but after 5k photos it appeared a really fat one that did not disappear with dry cleaning, blowing or vacuum, I had to clean it with wet cleaning. (@ top right)

The top left one is a seagull

-- hide signature --

Regards.

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,764

Alejandro wrote:

I thought the same, but after 5k photos it appeared a really fat one that did not disappear with dry cleaning, blowing or vacuum, I had to clean it with wet cleaning. (@ top right

All dSLRs one day or another may get some sticky junk on the sensor. I think the affected D600 are an order of magnitude worse than what you got.

Nice shot, BTW

-- hide signature --

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +5 more
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery Veteran Member • Posts: 3,735

TOF guy wrote:

Alejandro wrote:

... I had to clean it with wet cleaning ...

All dSLRs one day or another may get some sticky junk on the sensor. I think the affected D600 are an order of magnitude worse than what you got.

Completely agree, a single user's sensor cleaning by year using multiple lenses is a fine record, it has a great sensor's autocleaning system and very much less oil spits. ♥ it.

Nice shot, BTW

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Regards.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads