Third Party Battery for NEX6?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Questions
capt bob
capt bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,622
Re: Third Party Battery for NEX6?

I have been using the Wasabi charger and batteries on my 6 and 5N no problems and if you were to break the tabs off you would really have to try they are sturdy plus the Power plug folds as well like the Sony I keep the Wasabi in my Camera backpack with the Car charger and leave the Sony at home

cant tell any difference between the OEM and these Spot On for the price and does not overcharge.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a99 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +27 more
pcake Contributing Member • Posts: 692

capt bob wrote:

I have been using the Wasabi charger and batteries on my 6 and 5N no problems and if you were to break the tabs off you would really have to try they are sturdy plus the Power plug folds as well like the Sony I keep the Wasabi in my Camera backpack with the Car charger and leave the Sony at home

cant tell any difference between the OEM and these Spot On for the price and does not overcharge.

thanks - have you been using the wasabi charger to charge the sony battery?

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Robaire Forum Member • Posts: 52

foody1000 wrote:

Does anyone else has these Wasibi batteries? I read the reviews on Amazon and one of the reviewers said they didn't work with the NEX 6. Can someone confirm that they indeed work? Thanks.

FWIW, I bought one of the Wasabi batteries from a seller on Amazon, and it didn't work. I have a Nex-7, but the same battery.  Got the message Incompatible battery. Use correct model.  It also would not fit properly in the camera, and had difficulty getting it out of the camera.  The seller was very good with a refund, however. Then bought a Bower battery at a local Fry's electronics store that many have reported as incompatible, but the one I bought actually seems better than the Sony original! I've used the Bower battery for months, and it seems to hold a charge better/longer than the Sony. So, I think it's not just a matter of the particular brand of OEM battery, but will make a difference with a particular revision and the chip inside the battery.  I'd just make sure returns/refunds are going to be fairly easy wherever you buy an OEM battery.  IMHO, there's likely going to be some small chance you'll get one that is incompatible.

Robaire's gear list:Robaire's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6500 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
adi9 Contributing Member • Posts: 837

captura wrote:

adi9 wrote:

Search for threads related to NEX-7 and NEX5N batteryes (lots of threads with lots of links).Battery working with 7 and 5N will work with newer NEX-es also. Battery working with first generation NEX may not work with later generations. I posted a week or two ago a link to eBay batteries wich I'm using for about one year in NEX7 with no problems whatsoever. They cost around $15 including shipping. There are links on other threads to other models which cost even less around $10.

Speaking about capacity the batteries are rated higher than Sony (more mAh). I did not do a scientific compare but they hold at least the same charge as the Sony original one, which is good enough for me for the price.

Even the oldest batteries from Sony will work well on the newest NEX.

Sony batteries yes.We speak about "third party" ones.Sony does not licence or disclose the battery protocol so third party ones are reversed engineered.Some companies do a better job than other.

Not even makor manufactures like Energizer for example don't get the specs they also do reverse engineering. This is why Sony can sell you a bettery for $70 (cost them 2-3 $ to produce).

Sony is not so bad, they did not really change often their protocol which is known for a while, Canaon and others are much worst.

Robaire wrote:

foody1000 wrote:

Does anyone else has these Wasibi batteries? I read the reviews on Amazon and one of the reviewers said they didn't work with the NEX 6. Can someone confirm that they indeed work? Thanks.

FWIW, I bought one of the Wasabi batteries from a seller on Amazon, and it didn't work. I have a Nex-7, but the same battery. Got the message Incompatible battery. Use correct model. It also would not fit properly in the camera, and had difficulty getting it out of the camera. The seller was very good with a refund, however. Then bought a Bower battery at a local Fry's electronics store that many have reported as incompatible, but the one I bought actually seems better than the Sony original! I've used the Bower battery for months, and it seems to hold a charge better/longer than the Sony. So, I think it's not just a matter of the particular brand of OEM battery, but will make a difference with a particular revision and the chip inside the battery. I'd just make sure returns/refunds are going to be fairly easy wherever you buy an OEM battery. IMHO, there's likely going to be some small chance you'll get one that is incompatible.

Yes. Sony used some "reserved bytes" in the protocol when they released the second generation NEX (bytes which were not checked before by cameras), which disabled a number of batteries on the market at that moment. Most manufacturers released soon a "fixed" chip, but there are thousands of old batteries already inthe channel.Don't expect a "recall" for those not at the price level they sell.

So you are right, you may find batteries from the same manufacurer which work (or not) depending of the revision of the chip. This is why, if you follow eBay links to specific sellers with confirmed working batteries you will not have problems as the sellers usually get batteries from the same sourse.If they got new chip ones is very unlikely they will get a shipment of the old ones. On bigger sites like amazon it can be another storry as they sel big volume and may change often suppliers.

OP foody1000 Forum Member • Posts: 73

Hi all.  I received the Wasabi batteries and confirmed that they are compatible with the NEX6.  The Wasabi charger is also good.  The prongs that hold the batteries while charging are actually stronger (less flimsy) than I expected.  Overall, I'm very happy with paying $30 for two batteries and an external charger.  Thanks for everyone's input/recommendations.

Chuck Lawson New Member • Posts: 7

Sorry, lost track of this thread.  Just to chime in on what others have answered --

I bought two of the Wasabi kits, put one charger (and four charged batteries) in my bag and put the other charge on my desk; both seem to charge the Sony battery without problems.  I haven't had occasion to use the car adapter, so I don't know how well it works.

They appear to hold a charge fine; I grabbed one out of my bag this weekend that was charged at least two weeks ago, and it still showed 100% charge on my NEX 6.  The prongs on the charger are probably pretty breakable bouncing around in a bag, but mine haven't broken yet.  If you're going to keep one in your bag and you're concerned about this, you could probably just leave a battery clipped into it, which would keep the prongs from being bent/broke.

Hans vdC
Hans vdC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,320

Most aftermarket onrs work in the nex6 but cannot be charged incamera. Need external chzrger.

Hans vdC's gear list:Hans vdC's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7 III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
bongo Senior Member • Posts: 1,674

I have the wasabi battery kit for my nex6.   One of the tabs broke off soon after I got it but it still works fine - I think it would work okay with no tabs and a rubberband as well.   The car charger came with the wrong end for the nex so it is useless.   I decided it wasnt worth complaining about.   Despite the snafus the bottom line is it works and I,m happy with it.

-- hide signature --

more bONGO at www.thebongolian.com www.bongolia.com

bongo's gear list:bongo's gear list
Leica X Vario
Photozopia
Photozopia Senior Member • Posts: 1,302

Hans von der Crone wrote:

Most aftermarket ones work in the nex6 but cannot be charged incamera. Need external chzrger.

That's more or less what I suspect.

I've got third-party batteries bought for original Nex-3 that work fine ... as do original Sony from the period. But I ALWAYS charge via external sources - for any camera brand - for obvious (overheating) reasons!

This would indicate no alteration in basic spec between Nex generation batteries - only within the in-camera OEM battery 'detection' charging methodology perhaps.

Photozopia
Photozopia Senior Member • Posts: 1,302

Couldn't edit previous post so addendum: My third party batteries also work like the originals ... some users have however reported varied difficulties in use with non-OEM items.

Alohaman Contributing Member • Posts: 576

I bought the Wasabi for my NEX 7 and they work great!  Also got different Wasabis for my Canon DSLR and  no problems so far.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Chuck Lawson New Member • Posts: 7

I've charged the Wasabi batteries in my NEX-6 several times with no issues, but I normally charge in the Wasabi charger.

MarkusF Regular Member • Posts: 280

I got the Wasabi batteries/charger from Amazon and they did not work - on their way back now.  The batteries would not charge on the included charger or in my NEX-6; the Wasabi charger would also not charge my original Sony battery.

It's a shame, the price/flexibililty of the Wasabi charger is great but it seems quality control is lacking.  It is still probably worth taking a chance on, Amazon was great about the return.

- Mark

MarkusF wrote:

I got the Wasabi batteries/charger from Amazon and they did not work - on their way back now. The batteries would not charge on the included charger or in my NEX-6; the Wasabi charger would also not charge my original Sony battery.

It's a shame, the price/flexibililty of the Wasabi charger is great but it seems quality control is lacking. It is still probably worth taking a chance on, Amazon was great about the return.

- Mark

Get these ones , they will work (also get a charger from eBay).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Two-i-Lion-NP-FW50-Battery-for-Sony-NEX-F3-NEX-C3-NEX-6-NEX-5N-NEX-5R-NEX-7-NEX7-/251197462534?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item3a7c891806

chakari Regular Member • Posts: 253

???? .... I got the Wasabi set-up from Amazon and it's doing great! Charges the Sony battery too ... I didn't expect the Wasabi batteries to charge in camera; Sony has made sure of that!

chakari Regular Member • Posts: 253

bongo wrote:

I have the wasabi battery kit for my nex6. One of the tabs broke off soon after I got it but it still works fine - I think it would work okay with no tabs and a rubberband as well. The car charger came with the wrong end for the nex so it is useless. I decided it wasnt worth complaining about. Despite the snafus the bottom line is it works and I,m happy with it.

The car connector is for the Wasabi charger not for the NEX ... far from "useless"!

Putting 12 volts into the NEX would not be good ......

Hye Regular Member • Posts: 405

chakari wrote:

???? .... I got the Wasabi set-up from Amazon and it's doing great! Charges the Sony battery too ... I didn't expect the Wasabi batteries to charge in camera; Sony has made sure of that!

I'm halfway between Markus and chakari: the batteries seem to work fine (and will charge in-camera), but the charger appears to be dead!

Hye's gear list:Hye's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS Sony FE 28mm F2 +2 more
Espadon New Member • Posts: 8

Like a lot of third party accessories, it sounds like QC is inconsistent. My Wasabis work fine and hold a charge.  The only thing I've noticed is a slightly longer boot up of the NEX 6 with the Wasabi compared to the Sony. Its a fraction of a second so not a problem but still noticeable. Good to know I can charge them in camera too - hadn't considered that.

mbonsack Junior Member • Posts: 45

Mine charge in camera too, but only to about 35%.  Then the internal charging circuitry shuts it down.  Maybe the higher rating of the Wasabi batteries "fool" the in-camera circuit.  But, I'd rather have under-charge than over-charge (don't want a mini-Dreamliner situation...)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads