RX1 External charger

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions
Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,494
RX1 External charger

Does the Sony BCTRX Battery Charger for X/G/N/D/T/R and K Series Batteries on Amazon charge the RX1 battery?

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

 Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
teseg
teseg Senior Member • Posts: 2,208
Re: RX1 External charger

I've been using the Premium Tech charger and it works great.

 teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX10 III
tesilab
tesilab Senior Member • Posts: 2,741
Re: RX1 External charger

I took this info on the charger off of the Adorama site:

Quick charger for NP-BX1/BN1/FG1/FD1 /FT1/FR1/BK1 battery

I suppose if you have more than one of these types of batteries to charge it would be of some interest. I would much rather see a dedicated X type charger that will charge up to three or four batteries at a time. Or even better an RX1 battery grip that takes a more serious battery.

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus Air Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +6 more
earful Senior Member • Posts: 1,170
Re: RX1 External charger

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

Does the Sony BCTRX Battery Charger for X/G/N/D/T/R and K Series Batteries on Amazon charge the RX1 battery?

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

yes. i have one. however, i think there's a post at steve huff's site pointing folks to another non-oem charger. i didn't pay that much attention because i'm fine with the one i already have, but they're out there. it's a question of getting something reliable. i can't see paying over $3k for a camera and evf and then not buying oem batteries and their charger without a lot of testimonials for same.

Greg Gebhardt
OP Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,494
Thanks very much

I will also get the OEM just to be safe.

I was also shocked that the RX1 did not include an external charger.

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

 Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
earful Senior Member • Posts: 1,170
Re: Thanks very much

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

I will also get the OEM just to be safe.

I was also shocked that the RX1 did not include an external charger.

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

i agree; that was not cool on sony's part. who wants to keep their camera hooked up to an electrical outlet. i had an ipod mini permanently set in an alarm clock dock and we had an electrical glitch that fried the ipod. never again. even voltage regulators are not full proof.

Greg Gebhardt
OP Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,494
I do not remember

having a camera you had to use to charge the battery and I have had a lot of cameras.

Thanks for the help!

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

 Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
Joel Rosen
Joel Rosen Contributing Member • Posts: 694
Re: I do not remember

I bought this from Amazon. Comes with 2 batteries and works like a charm. I was so happy, I bought a second one! I also have one for my DP-2ml where you really need extra batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-HDR-AS10/dp/B008SFPMRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357852572&sr=8-1&keywords=wasabi+charger+sony+RX-1

oorwullie Junior Member • Posts: 34
RX1 Charger and two batteries. $15

As others have noted,  charging a battery whilst it is still in the device is what millions of phone users do daily. In some cases there is no option as the battery cannot be removed by the user (think Apple)

Despite this, I agree that Sony should have included a charger with the RX1.Cost to them would have been peanuts.

I am no electronics engineer, so someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I cant see any risk to the camera by using non-sony batteries if they are charged outside of the camera.

I am now using the charger and batteries featured  in the link below. (Aussie spec)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/B47a-Two-NP-BX1-Battery-Charger-For-Sony-DSC-RX1-DSC-RX100-Digital-Camera-NEW-/400384590729?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item5d38c80389

earful Senior Member • Posts: 1,170
Re: RX1 Charger and two batteries. $15

oorwullie wrote:

As others have noted, charging a battery whilst it is still in the device is what millions of phone users do daily. In some cases there is no option as the battery cannot be removed by the user (think Apple)

Despite this, I agree that Sony should have included a charger with the RX1.Cost to them would have been peanuts.

I am no electronics engineer, so someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I cant see any risk to the camera by using non-sony batteries if they are charged outside of the camera.

I am now using the charger and batteries featured in the link below. (Aussie spec)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/B47a-Two-NP-BX1-Battery-Charger-For-Sony-DSC-RX1-DSC-RX100-Digital-Camera-NEW-/400384590729?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item5d38c80389

not to argue with you, but just to point out: if my phone is being charged while connected to my computer, i can still use apps and such quite well; i can even make and receive calls. if my camera is connected to my computer or a wall socket, it's pretty crippled in terms of usage. i know, as i have also had little casios that charge in the same way. incapacitates the camera with regard to its main purpose: portability so i can take photos. sony failed big time on this one.

oorwullie Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: RX1 Charger and two batteries. $15

I take your point.

As I said i also think they should have included a charger.

But for me an omission I can rectify for $15 (including two spare batteries) does not qualify as as Sony having"failed big time".

My biggest gripe is the price of the EVF,  without which I feel the potential of this camera can never be approached.   But that's another story..

Greg Gebhardt
OP Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,494
Thanks everyone

I have ordered the Sony charger with an extra Sony battery.

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

 Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads