About to order a Sony RX1...

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions
drv320
OP drv320 Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: About to order a Sony RX1...

henryfeng wrote:

drv320 wrote:

...but I could not bear to part with my X100. I dumped a bunch of other stuff in trade, but I just couldn't lose the X100. Note, I didn't say my preorder for the X100s. Sad as it is, I have an attachment to my X100. Even though it's technically inferior to my impending purchase, I couldn't do it.

Nuts? Probably. Don't care. I was able to get rid of stuff I absolutely wasn't using to get something I really want...without having to sacrifice something I really like (and USE).

RX1 should be a very good one... if you are not in a hurry i would suggest to give 23mmf1.4 a try with the X mount camera. But if 35mm is the only FL you need, rx1 is the one.

I wouldn't say I'm in a hurry.  This is definitely not a need.  It is most certainly a want.

I really have learned to love the 35mm FL...not for everything (close though).  I'll keep an ILC around for situations where I need less (or more) FL - my ILC of choice is the XE-1 (with the 18-55).

LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,808
Re: About to order a Sony RX1...

drv320 wrote:

...but I could not bear to part with my X100. I dumped a bunch of other stuff in trade, but I just couldn't lose the X100. Note, I didn't say my preorder for the X100s. Sad as it is, I have an attachment to my X100. Even though it's technically inferior to my impending purchase, I couldn't do it.

Nuts? Probably. Don't care. I was able to get rid of stuff I absolutely wasn't using to get something I really want...without having to sacrifice something I really like (and USE).

let the sony rx1 mature a bit. the x100s would be better and cheaper bet. sony may look good now but i think it will quickly loose a lot of the value basically as soon as somebody else make ff small camera the curent rx1 price would seems ridiculously high. it may happend within a year.

 LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
dengx Senior Member • Posts: 1,030
Re: I was a huge fan of the RX1

liquid stereo wrote:

Its not inconceivable that the X100s will have superior IQ to the X-Pro1.

Most likely it would be rather a little worse due to PDAF using some thousands "green" pixels for focusing. But I don't think it will be perceivable without pixel peeping.

Regards

Kokeen4231 Contributing Member • Posts: 613
Re: Why? What is so special (to you) about RX1?

+1 here. Would rather get the x100s. Though no one outside fuji really knows how well the x100s performs compared to the rx1, a few things certain which makes the x100s more appealing is the hybrid viewfinder. The RX1 does not even have a viewfinder which looses its 'professionalism' as a full frame. Another thing is the price. If you add the price of the viewfinder to the rx1, the RX1 would almost be thriple the price of the x100s! Though DXO has given the rx1 an extremely high score, I cant say I am sure I want to pay over $3000 for one. I guess other than the huge sensor I am paying for the zeiss lens.

And lastly who knows if the x100s would have the great high ISO of the XE1.

 Kokeen4231's gear list:Kokeen4231's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8
Mauro.B
Mauro.B Senior Member • Posts: 2,487
RX1 ? Then prepare for a slooow AF experience

Think X100 after first firmware upgrade, or XP1 as released, and you get the picture.

Something that none of the tipped bloggers shouting their excitement about the rx1 dared to mention. Clearly, if you get an rx1 for free, any AF will do. But for $2800 + sundries, nfw.

M

ps - my rx100, to stay in Sony camp, on AF run circles around the rx1.

 Mauro.B's gear list:Mauro.B's gear list
Ricoh GR Leica Q Leica M10 Sony a9
liquid stereo
liquid stereo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,265
Re: I was a huge fan of the RX1

dengx wrote:

liquid stereo wrote:

Its not inconceivable that the X100s will have superior IQ to the X-Pro1.

Most likely it would be rather a little worse due to PDAF using some thousands "green" pixels for focusing. But I don't think it will be perceivable without pixel peeping.

Regards

I don't think it discards the information/light. I think it simply uses it for an additional purpose. No?

 liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
drv320
OP drv320 Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: Why? What is so special (to you) about RX1?

Kokeen4231 wrote:

+1 here. Would rather get the x100s. Though no one outside fuji really knows how well the x100s performs compared to the rx1, a few things certain which makes the x100s more appealing is the hybrid viewfinder. The RX1 does not even have a viewfinder which looses its 'professionalism' as a full frame. Another thing is the price. If you add the price of the viewfinder to the rx1, the RX1 would almost be thriple the price of the x100s! Though DXO has given the rx1 an extremely high score, I cant say I am sure I want to pay over $3000 for one. I guess other than the huge sensor I am paying for the zeiss lens.

And lastly who knows if the x100s would have the great high ISO of the XE1.

...and there's one of the issues I can't shake.  Fuji haven't released a "mature" X camera yet.  Every time they've released, it's been a camera Fuji thought was good enough, but few users shared their opinion.  We've been left with what they could be.  Not bagging on Fuji...at all.  I have an obvious soft spot for them as I couldn't get rid of my X100.

  • X100s is an unknown commodity...except on paper. 
  • X-Trans sensor...already have one in my XE-1.  It's pretty awesome, but I don't know that I want to put all my eggs in the X-Trans basket. 
  • PDAF...doesn't really concern me that much.  I don't shoot sports or other fast moving activities (or VERY low light stuff) very often...and if those needs arise, I almost always know about it in advance. 
  • Viewfinder...I do like having a viewfinder when I need it, but I'm not uncomfortable without it. 

I think the X100s is going to be really tough to get until October (or later).  Regardless of how good they say the camera will be, spec sheets don't make photographs.

I've been wanting a FF camera for some time now, but do not want another DSLR (or a Leica).  I see this as the perfect introduction (for me).  If I only looked at spec sheets and took opinions as fact, I'd have never ended up with my X100 in the first place.  I could be 100% wrong about everything I'm thinking...or I could be 100% right. I'll never know unless I try.

liquid stereo
liquid stereo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,265
For all that is holy

drv320 wrote:

Kokeen4231 wrote:

+1 here. Would rather get the x100s. Though no one outside fuji really knows how well the x100s performs compared to the rx1, a few things certain which makes the x100s more appealing is the hybrid viewfinder. The RX1 does not even have a viewfinder which looses its 'professionalism' as a full frame. Another thing is the price. If you add the price of the viewfinder to the rx1, the RX1 would almost be thriple the price of the x100s! Though DXO has given the rx1 an extremely high score, I cant say I am sure I want to pay over $3000 for one. I guess other than the huge sensor I am paying for the zeiss lens.

And lastly who knows if the x100s would have the great high ISO of the XE1.

...and there's one of the issues I can't shake. Fuji haven't released a "mature" X camera yet. Every time they've released, it's been a camera Fuji thought was good enough, but few users shared their opinion. We've been left with what they could be. Not bagging on Fuji...at all. I have an obvious soft spot for them as I couldn't get rid of my X100.

  • X100s is an unknown commodity...except on paper.
  • X-Trans sensor...already have one in my XE-1. It's pretty awesome, but I don't know that I want to put all my eggs in the X-Trans basket.
  • PDAF...doesn't really concern me that much. I don't shoot sports or other fast moving activities (or VERY low light stuff) very often...and if those needs arise, I almost always know about it in advance.
  • Viewfinder...I do like having a viewfinder when I need it, but I'm not uncomfortable without it.

I think the X100s is going to be really tough to get until October (or later). Regardless of how good they say the camera will be, spec sheets don't make photographs.

I've been wanting a FF camera for some time now, but do not want another DSLR (or a Leica). I see this as the perfect introduction (for me). If I only looked at spec sheets and took opinions as fact, I'd have never ended up with my X100 in the first place. I could be 100% wrong about everything I'm thinking...or I could be 100% right. I'll never know unless I try.

Do you want a mature camera? What does that look like?

And again, let me ask you - what is so special about full-frame? (I'm truly curious because there may be something I've been missing with my FF cameras over the years.)

 liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Lifeofdavid Regular Member • Posts: 225
Re: Why? What is so special (to you) about RX1?

If you have the money go for it. By all acounts the RX1 is phenomenal camera.  Incredible sensor, incredible lens, packed in a small body. Your definitely paying a premium that may in a year or two seem very steep but your getting a unique package at the moment. Everyone loves to tell other people how to spend their money but with the exponential growth of the mirrorless segment there are really tons of options for all types of photographers.

hellocrowley Senior Member • Posts: 1,288
Re: For all that is holy

liquid stereo wrote:

Do you want a mature camera? What does that look like?

And again, let me ask you - what is so special about full-frame? (I'm truly curious because there may be something I've been missing with my FF cameras over the years.)

What's so special about APSC?

drv320
OP drv320 Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: For all that is holy

liquid stereo wrote:

drv320 wrote:

Kokeen4231 wrote:

+1 here. Would rather get the x100s. Though no one outside fuji really knows how well the x100s performs compared to the rx1, a few things certain which makes the x100s more appealing is the hybrid viewfinder. The RX1 does not even have a viewfinder which looses its 'professionalism' as a full frame. Another thing is the price. If you add the price of the viewfinder to the rx1, the RX1 would almost be thriple the price of the x100s! Though DXO has given the rx1 an extremely high score, I cant say I am sure I want to pay over $3000 for one. I guess other than the huge sensor I am paying for the zeiss lens.

And lastly who knows if the x100s would have the great high ISO of the XE1.

...and there's one of the issues I can't shake. Fuji haven't released a "mature" X camera yet. Every time they've released, it's been a camera Fuji thought was good enough, but few users shared their opinion. We've been left with what they could be. Not bagging on Fuji...at all. I have an obvious soft spot for them as I couldn't get rid of my X100.

  • X100s is an unknown commodity...except on paper.
  • X-Trans sensor...already have one in my XE-1. It's pretty awesome, but I don't know that I want to put all my eggs in the X-Trans basket.
  • PDAF...doesn't really concern me that much. I don't shoot sports or other fast moving activities (or VERY low light stuff) very often...and if those needs arise, I almost always know about it in advance.
  • Viewfinder...I do like having a viewfinder when I need it, but I'm not uncomfortable without it.

I think the X100s is going to be really tough to get until October (or later). Regardless of how good they say the camera will be, spec sheets don't make photographs.

I've been wanting a FF camera for some time now, but do not want another DSLR (or a Leica). I see this as the perfect introduction (for me). If I only looked at spec sheets and took opinions as fact, I'd have never ended up with my X100 in the first place. I could be 100% wrong about everything I'm thinking...or I could be 100% right. I'll never know unless I try.

Do you want a mature camera? What does that look like?

And again, let me ask you - what is so special about full-frame? (I'm truly curious because there may be something I've been missing with my FF cameras over the years.)

Fair enough...you got me on the "mature" thing.

Fuji seems to have a nasty habit of releasing cameras that are less "mature" than other makers.  I have no reliable proof that this time will be any different.  Sure, the RX1 is a luxury (and expensive), but the X-Pro1 was no slouch in the "charging a premium" department when it was released.

In short, I don't know what's so special about FF.  I know what I've read and seen, but that doesn't stand-in for use.  I want to find out for myself.  I can't intelligently engage in any conversations about it until I've had experience with it.

drv320
OP drv320 Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: Why? What is so special (to you) about RX1?

Lifeofdavid wrote:

If you have the money go for it. By all acounts the RX1 is phenomenal camera. Incredible sensor, incredible lens, packed in a small body. Your definitely paying a premium that may in a year or two seem very steep but your getting a unique package at the moment. Everyone loves to tell other people how to spend their money but with the exponential growth of the mirrorless segment there are really tons of options for all types of photographers.

Thank goodness...you get it.

I'm sure other folks who have responded get it as well and are just trying to save me some money and potential headaches.  For everyone's good intentions, experience is still the best teacher though.

Believe me, if I make a mistake on this...I'll admit it.

"Do you know what happens if we don't try?
Nothing."

~Mel Gibson (as Willam Wallace in Braveheart)

drv320
OP drv320 Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: For all that is holy

hellocrowley wrote:

liquid stereo wrote:

Do you want a mature camera? What does that look like?

And again, let me ask you - what is so special about full-frame? (I'm truly curious because there may be something I've been missing with my FF cameras over the years.)

What's so special about APSC?

Awesome...funny!

liquid stereo
liquid stereo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,265
Re: For all that is holy

drv320 wrote:

Fair enough...you got me on the "mature" thing.

Fuji seems to have a nasty habit of releasing cameras that are less "mature" than other makers. I have no reliable proof that this time will be any different. Sure, the RX1 is a luxury (and expensive), but the X-Pro1 was no slouch in the "charging a premium" department when it was released.

In short, I don't know what's so special about FF. I know what I've read and seen, but that doesn't stand-in for use. I want to find out for myself. I can't intelligently engage in any conversations about it until I've had experience with it.

As someone who has purchased 3 different systems over the years, I can say that in my experience, Fuji is no different. In fact I would say they're somewhat superior as they do indeed update/upgrade/fix their products via FW.

Think otherwise? Have a look at the Sony NEX cams/system. Lenses? Really... Remember the enthusiast NEX-5? No longer compatible. The NEX-7... flash no longer compatible. FW updates for either? Keep waiting.

Or consider the Canon EOS-M. What fix/update/upgrade could make that thing usable/attractive/interesting.

Nikon... Nice 1-system.

 liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
liquid stereo
liquid stereo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,265
Re: For all that is holy

hellocrowley wrote:

liquid stereo wrote:

Do you want a mature camera? What does that look like?

And again, let me ask you - what is so special about full-frame? (I'm truly curious because there may be something I've been missing with my FF cameras over the years.)

What's so special about APSC?

Nothing. Except that he has it already

 liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
liquid stereo
liquid stereo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,265
Please share

drv320 wrote:

Lifeofdavid wrote:

If you have the money go for it. By all acounts the RX1 is phenomenal camera. Incredible sensor, incredible lens, packed in a small body. Your definitely paying a premium that may in a year or two seem very steep but your getting a unique package at the moment. Everyone loves to tell other people how to spend their money but with the exponential growth of the mirrorless segment there are really tons of options for all types of photographers.

Thank goodness...you get it.

I'm sure other folks who have responded get it as well and are just trying to save me some money and potential headaches. For everyone's good intentions, experience is still the best teacher though.

Believe me, if I make a mistake on this...I'll admit it.

"Do you know what happens if we don't try?
Nothing."

~Mel Gibson (as Willam Wallace in Braveheart)

What's there to get? Seriously. If you want it, get it. Nothing is wrong with that. In fact that's one of the pleasures of modern life. (I have a nice Karmann Ghia with a flat-6 putting out nearly 200hp. I'm not one who resides entirely in the land of rationality.)

However, if you think there is some rational reason, or some photographic or experiential superiority, I'd love to know. Why? Simply because I'm curious. _I used to think the RX1 was the cat's meow._

After seeing the images from the RX1 and the Xtrans and the fantastic packaging of the X100/X100s...I no longer think that. But if you can show me my "error" I'll be grateful.

Cheers!

 liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
EricWN Senior Member • Posts: 2,125
Re: About to order a Sony RX1...
3

I'd rather shake my head at the gear heads who just buy everything as soon as it comes out although they have the previous generation.

The x100 is still a fine camera, the 100s will just be its natural evolution and a touch better. No reason to go crazy.

drv320
OP drv320 Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: Please share

:-Dliquid stereo wrote:

drv320 wrote:

Lifeofdavid wrote:

If you have the money go for it. By all acounts the RX1 is phenomenal camera. Incredible sensor, incredible lens, packed in a small body. Your definitely paying a premium that may in a year or two seem very steep but your getting a unique package at the moment. Everyone loves to tell other people how to spend their money but with the exponential growth of the mirrorless segment there are really tons of options for all types of photographers.

Thank goodness...you get it.

I'm sure other folks who have responded get it as well and are just trying to save me some money and potential headaches. For everyone's good intentions, experience is still the best teacher though.

Believe me, if I make a mistake on this...I'll admit it.

"Do you know what happens if we don't try?
Nothing."

~Mel Gibson (as Willam Wallace in Braveheart)

What's there to get? Seriously. If you want it, get it. Nothing is wrong with that. In fact that's one of the pleasures of modern life. (I have a nice Karmann Ghia with a flat-6 putting out nearly 200hp. I'm not one who resides entirely in the land of rationality.)

However, if you think there is some rational reason, or some photographic or experiential superiority, I'd love to know. Why? Simply because I'm curious. _I used to think the RX1 was the cat's meow._

After seeing the images from the RX1 and the Xtrans and the fantastic packaging of the X100/X100s...I no longer think that. But if you can show me my "error" I'll be grateful.

Cheers!

You're right, of course...there is nothing to "get."  I was just saying that LifeofDavid is the one of the few who hasn't tried to talk me out of it.  The point of my orginal post was that I got rid of a bunch of stuff to "finance" the RX1, but I couldn't part with my X100.  Very long way 'round to say I love the little bugger and don't think I'm interested in the X100s.

The beauty of having the means to live somewhat irratioanally is that there are no inherent errors, just experiences.  I never said anyone was wrong about anything they said.  Generally, everyone had good points.

My X100 packaging is the only packaging I've ever saved.  As to experiential superiority (or inferiority)...I won't know until I experience it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads