D800 or 8000E

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions
camerashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,503
D800 or 8000E

I would appreciate some advice please from those familiar with the D800 range.

At the moment my camera is the D700. My interests are architecture, landscapes, a little studio work and family portraits. Should I be looking towards the D800E rather than the D800 or are there other important factors to consider.

Appreciate any help

Thanks

Dave

-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tomnorth
tomnorth Contributing Member • Posts: 886
Re: D800 or 8000E

I think the D800E makes the most sense for landscape shooters who use a tripod. For other shooters, I'd suggest the D800. I have a D700 and a D800. I'm what you would call an "other" shooter. I shoot mainly portraits and nature.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon D850 +4 more
OP camerashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,503

Thanks Tom, what the point about the tripod please and the 800E.....is it really necessary, as I always tend to use hand held

Thanks

Dave

-- hide signature --

Nikon D800
NikonManSoCal Regular Member • Posts: 205

Marginal difference at best due to the D800's extremely light use of the Bayer filter anyways - but agreed if one is shooting all landscape the E is pbly the better bet on paper at least.

I chose the D800 as I personally could not ascertain any material difference looking at pics between the two - and also I shoot a mix of landscape and nature.

The extra $300 was not worth it to me - also my opinion is that Nikon is asking a $300 premium for what amounts to the exact same body in the E - just with the low pass filter bypassed - there is no physical hardware difference that differentiates the two beyond that.

Good luck!

Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

NikonManSoCal wrote:

Marginal difference at best due to the D800's extremely light use of the Bayer filter anyways - but agreed if one is shooting all landscape the E is pbly the better bet on paper at least.

You need to apply less sharpening with a D800E, but the difference is subtle.

Shooting architecture, you will occasionally run into patterns that (at the right distance, focal length, and position) create moiré. The moiré will be a little more vivid on the D800E. Both are subject to it, as are most DSLRs.

The extra $300 was not worth it to me - also my opinion is that Nikon is asking a $300 premium for what amounts to the exact same body in the E - just with the low pass filter bypassed - there is no physical hardware difference that differentiates the two beyond that.

There is nothing devious about the premium pricing. It is well known that Nikon expected to sell ten D800 for each D800E sold. That means they have lower cost on the OLPF for the D800 than they do for the D800E because they are buying or making a much larger volume for the D800. If they had figured it the other way round, ten D800E for every D800, the prices would have been reversed.

-- hide signature --

Really helpful info. many thanks

Dave

-- hide signature --

Nikon D800
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,899

The D800e files requires less sharpening - if any - and that's why I bought it. No regret at all to the point that I don't think I would ever consider a dSLR with AA filter again .

You could also do a search on the forum to get more answers.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,630

As others have pointed out the D800E files need less sharpening - a significant advantage in PP sometimes.

I have a feeling that the differences between the D800 and the D800E are more significant than is being thought at present and that they are in the order of 15% in linear resolution (that's around what LensRentals got when they tested a Zeiss 100/2 on an 800 and a 800E).

The downside is very limited - a slightly higher intensity of moire when it occurs, not necessariiy more moire. Were it an issue, people would be encountering difficulties with it which they are not.

$300 sounds like a bargain for the advantage in the 'E' and the higher resolution. A similar increase in lens performance would cost significantly more for a single lens even.

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Sony RX1R II Nikon D4 Nikon D850
Kerry Pierce
Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757

camerashy wrote:

Thanks Tom, what the point about the tripod please and the 800E.....is it really necessary, as I always tend to use hand held

I can't say for certain, Dave, but my guess is that you'd not gain much, if anything, by going with the E version for hand held use. But, I've only had a d800 for a few days and haven't tried an E model, so I may be talking out of the seat of my pants....  Regardless, I'd be surprised if the E model made a significant difference for hand held shooting.  IMO, if you want the absolute best resolution, from most any camera, you need to use the best lenses, tripods and technique. It's rather like shooting macros at 1:1 magnification.  Your best macros are typically done the same way.

But, that isn't to say that you can't get really nice photos hand held, because you can.  I don't worry about shooting hand held for the majority of my shots because I'm not going to be printing huge nor cropping excessively.

Seriously, how much resolution do you really need? The answer to that question should tell you what you want to know.

good luck

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Shotcents
Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472

I own the D800 but I have friends with both and like most people we were curious to see what the differences were.

1) For general shooting, people, weddings, events, wildlife: We really couldn't see any PRACTICAL difference. Files looked identical and sometimes we thought the D800 was the E and so on. We still liked to sharpen BOTH files a bit.

2) Shooting fashion the E did produce moire problems, especially silks. It was repeatable. But as someone pointed out the D800 was not immune, just a bit better.

3) Now if you plan to shoot VIDEO at all, don't get the E. I have friends who do a lot of video work and the D800 and 5DIII are great video cameras, but the E brings up all kinds of moire on a much more regular basis.

So if you do a lot of landscapes and print BIG I suppose the E might give a tiny edge, but don't believe the hype. There are a ton of pixel-peeping comparisons and it's pretty funny how close they are. When you move away from pixel peeping and into actual photography, there really is no difference for most applications.

It's your call.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon D5300 +11 more
tomnorth
tomnorth Contributing Member • Posts: 886

I agree with what others have said. For handheld shooting, I'd stick with the D800. To me, the reason to go with the 800E is to get the maximum sharpness, which would drive the use of a tripod. If that's not your game, then I'd stick with the D800 versus the D800E.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon D850 +4 more
orchidblooms
orchidblooms Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

inasir1971 wrote:

As others have pointed out the D800E files need less sharpening - a significant advantage in PP sometimes.

I have a feeling that the differences between the D800 and the D800E are more significant than is being thought at present and that they are in the order of 15% in linear resolution (that's around what LensRentals got when they tested a Zeiss 100/2 on an 800 and a 800E).

The downside is very limited - a slightly higher intensity of moire when it occurs, not necessariiy more moire. Were it an issue, people would be encountering difficulties with it which they are not.

$300 sounds like a bargain for the advantage in the 'E' and the higher resolution. A similar increase in lens performance would cost significantly more for a single lens even.

i have had both /prefer the e

soft photos - clouds/fog banks look dreamy and sharpening seems to be less work...

i use cp7 and have noticed colors especially light blues seem to render truer to what i see...

i qcard or passport - autoadjust wb on checker as first step in cp1 copy this to my image /s and i am running with often very little work...

NikonManSoCal Regular Member • Posts: 205

All good points here from the user community - Personally I don't think you can go wrong either way with the resolution and incredible DR the sensor has on these bodies. One point would be that IF you ever do get alias artifacts - its impossible to remove in PP, where as sharpening in PP is possible regardless. Again a minor point, but maybe worth noting.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,585

Having owned both the 800 and E (that is, I had the 800, but traded it for the E) I'd have to agree that the E is slightly sharper, and you'd notice this if you used both cameras.

That said, I would say this... if you have any doubt as to whether you should get the E or not... get the E, otherwise you'll always wonder if you made the right choice. This happened to me, and that's why I swapped my 800 for the E.

Bottom line: like everyone else says... With the D800E, I tend to sharpen less in Photoshop. Is that worth and additional 300 bucks??? I don't know, but I do know I'm no longer wondering if I'm missing anything with the E.

By the way, 99 percent of my shots are hand held so that factored in my final decision.

Personally I think Nikon should just forgo the D800 and just stick with the E for the same price of the 800.

My two cents

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 25,614
What's happening to this forum? :)

We are actually getting very adult, well thought out, discussions! I love it.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon D7200 Nikon D5500 Nikon D810 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +31 more
iwannabesedated Senior Member • Posts: 1,588

ADMint wrote:

Having owned both the 800 and E (that is, I had the 800, but traded it for the E) I'd have to agree that the E is slightly sharper, and you'd notice this if you used both cameras.

That said, I would say this... if you have any doubt as to whether you should get the E or not... get the E, otherwise you'll always wonder if you made the right choice. This happened to me, and that's why I swapped my 800 for the E.

Bottom line: like everyone else says... With the D800E, I tend to sharpen less in Photoshop. Is that worth and additional 300 bucks??? I don't know, but I do know I'm no longer wondering if I'm missing anything with the E.

By the way, 99 percent of my shots are hand held so that factored in my final decision.

Personally I think Nikon should just forgo the D800 and just stick with the E for the same price of the 800.

My two cents

Exactly my sentiments. I currently own both models. For me, the D800E is noticeably sharper, and I haven't had any problems with moire. For these reasons, I now shoot exclusively with the D800E. My strong advice to a new buyer would be to go for the E. Regards. -iwbs

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500

WOW!! so much interesting feedback overnight. I really appreciate everyone help and pleased to see that hand held with the D800E is not out of the question.

thank you all so much

dave

-- hide signature --

Nikon D800
Fayard Regular Member • Posts: 127

You can also check for yourself. DPreview has made available 2 shots of the same landscape with a D800 and a D800E with a 50mm at f5.6. The NEF can be diwnloaded here: NEF.

I've played a little bit with the files, and you can clearly see that the D800 needs more sharpening. Therefore, the noise in the D800 will be a little bit higher at the same perceived sharpness. It is completly irrelevant in this picture shot at low ISO.

I am sure that people doing atrophotography will go to the D800E because they need sharp pictures while keeping the noise very low. People shooting a lot of fabrics will go to the D800 because moiré will be lower with this one. If you are not in this situation, I don't think it will make any difference.

If you plan to sell it in a few years, maybe the D800E will habe a better value as it is likely that most camera above 36MP will be produced without antialiasing filters and the D800 may look old-fashioned by that time.

beshannon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,216
 beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Sigma DP2s Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) Nikon D800E Nikon 1 J4 +3 more
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

tomnorth wrote:

I agree with what others have said. For handheld shooting, I'd stick with the D800. To me, the reason to go with the 800E is to get the maximum sharpness, which would drive the use of a tripod. If that's not your game, then I'd stick with the D800 versus the D800E.

You just need a good shutter speed to get maximum sharpness out of a D800E hand held. Nothing magical about it.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads