It's time to abandon PhotoShop

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions
RobertBarnett Senior Member • Posts: 1,418
Re: It's time to abandon PhotoShop

In order to meat the power of Photoshop if it would take dozens of programs to do it. That is where is came in. Read the entire thread.

Robert

RobertBarnett's gear list:RobertBarnett's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye Epson WorkForce 1100
WoodWorks Senior Member • Posts: 1,418

RobertBarnett wrote:

In order to meat the power of Photoshop if it would take dozens of programs to do it. That is where is came in. Read the entire thread.

I have, Robert. And though I hate to agree with Jesper here, and call you ignorant, I will go so far as to say that you are woefully (and perhaps even willfully) uninformed.

David

-- hide signature --

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows
--Epictetus

RobertBarnett Senior Member • Posts: 1,418

In the end it is you data do with what you want. I choose not to run through multiple programs especially open source and freeware. Good luck, I think you will need it.

Robert

RobertBarnett's gear list:RobertBarnett's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye Epson WorkForce 1100
theswede
theswede Veteran Member • Posts: 4,009

RobertBarnett wrote:

In the end it is you data do with what you want. I choose not to run through multiple programs especially open source and freeware. Good luck, I think you will need it.

Open source software is the safest available since you can examine exactly what the software does to your data. Should be easy for an expert like you.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony a7 Sony a5000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +7 more
Conchita Veteran Member • Posts: 9,914
Re: An Intriguing Take On Elements 11... And Elements+ Is Worth A Close Look

Sorry, but exposure merge is not the same as HDR. That is to HDR as a Fisher-Price computer is to an imac. Try it and you'll see. It can't even register burst mode photos properly.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Lightroom plus a couple of more tools is all I need

I use Lightroom and the only things I wish I had from Photoshop are the auto color tool and the traditional six color color balance tool, especially for the film I am still scanning and I would need nothing else. Color casts from scanned film can be painful and time consuming to fix in Lightroom. I export edit to an old version of Photoshop Elements for the auto color tool but unfortunately only Photoshop has the traditional six color color balance tool. You can replicate it partially in levels but it's a pain and time consuming.

grcolts Senior Member • Posts: 2,808

It is not hard for me as I never really ever warmed up to PhotoShop.

There are other programs that I use which are to me much simpler and less time intensive to use than PhotoShop. Plus, I rarely would use all the features PhotoShop offers. To me, it is over-kill.

I know others have great need for this program and its features, but I am not one of them.

GR

-- hide signature --

grcolts
http://g_richardsphotography.fototime.com/welcome
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/grcolts

grcolts's gear list:grcolts's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Olympus E-PL7 Pentax K-50
KewlEugene Regular Member • Posts: 306

There's so many free programs that do rudimentary editing that most of us can live with, why pay anyone for a JPG editor?

Plus crack versions of licensed softwares are available at The Pirate Bay.

Also cracking can be done by surfing on eBay for a cheap JTAG board (it's not like the olden days when you had to purchase an expensive ICE).

Re: Pixelmater

afterburn wrote:

You can have a look at Pixelmator. It is not as full featured as Photoshop (not surprising as it costs a fraction @ $15), but it is getting better with every update and it works the same as Photoshop, including keyboard shortcuts.

The fatal flaw of Pixelmator is no 16 bit image support. It's not a serious amateur tool. Paint Shop Pro is by far the most capable image editor. Unfortunately it is Windows only and I have no desire to  buy Parallels and a copy of Windows or edit back and forth between OS X and a Bootcamped Windows. Not having a viable alternative to Photoshop is all I miss about Windows.

afterburn Senior Member • Posts: 1,039
You can edit 16b in OSX w/o Photoshop

Basalite wrote:

afterburn wrote:

You can have a look at Pixelmator. It is not as full featured as Photoshop (not surprising as it costs a fraction @ $15), but it is getting better with every update and it works the same as Photoshop, including keyboard shortcuts.

The fatal flaw of Pixelmator is no 16 bit image support. It's not a serious amateur tool. Paint Shop Pro is by far the most capable image editor. Unfortunately it is Windows only and I have no desire to  buy Parallels and a copy of Windows or edit back and forth between OS X and a Bootcamped Windows. Not having a viable alternative to Photoshop is all I miss about Windows.

You could always look at CinePaint (http://www.cinepaint.org/). Has 16-bit editing. And it's free. Or PhotoLine (http://pl32.com/index.php), which is shareware and also supports 16-bits per channel.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
Re: You can edit 16b in OSX w/o Photoshop

afterburn wrote:

Basalite wrote:

afterburn wrote:

You could always look at CinePaint (http://www.cinepaint.org/). Has 16-bit editing. And it's free. Or PhotoLine (http://pl32.com/index.php), which is shareware and also supports 16-bits per channel.

Thanks but both are junk, especially Cinepaint. I want the color balance tool as it works in Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro and though Photoline has it it works awful.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,484
Photoshop Elements $48

If you don't mind throwing a relatively small amount of $$$ Adobe's way, Newegg currently has Elements 11 for $48 with free shipping. I haven't found any info about when the sale ends.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1348927&nm_mc=AFC-dealnews%20&cm_mmc=AFC-dealnews-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA-

Raffwal
Raffwal Regular Member • Posts: 355
Re: Have a look at PhotoLine

Hen3ry wrote:

Costs about $100, very mature program that runs on both Mac and Windows, and a very capable editor with some interesting other capabilities.

Some people on the PhotoLine forum also use Elements for a couple of the most recent tools in the PS bag of tricks.

Have a look: http://pl32.com

I have had Photoline for years and it seems to have almost every feature one could ask for in an image processor. And cheap to boot. Bad news is that since it is rather rare software, there are very few decent video tutorials for it, no books that I know of and a rather rudimentary manual. So if one is capable and willing to learn the ins and outs by himself, why not.

Marvin Doering Senior Member • Posts: 1,599

My question is if you have Photoshop what do you need with Lightroom?  Does it do photo editing above and beyond Photoshop or do you just want the cataloging feature?

-- hide signature --

MRD

Marvin Doering's gear list:Marvin Doering's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
theswede
theswede Veteran Member • Posts: 4,009

Marvin Doering wrote:

My question is if you have Photoshop what do you need with Lightroom? Does it do photo editing above and beyond Photoshop or do you just want the cataloging feature?

Non-destructive editing, ease of exporting, including to third party services such as Flickr and Facebook, and a UI focused on the most common editing tasks required for photos.

If you're a digital artist or routinely do heavier work in Photoshop, then you have little use for Lightroom. If you are like most hobby or professional photographers and make relatively few operations per photo it's much faster and easier to operate than Photoshop. So much faster it has to be tried to be believed; Adobe have really succeeded in making it a smooth experience (that said, Aperture is just as smooth, and Darktable is getting there).

The main disadvantage is you're locked into the Lightroom catalog since it's not designed to work in any other way.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony a7 Sony a5000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +7 more
Marvin Doering Senior Member • Posts: 1,599
Re: Graphic Artists or Photographers

Isn't it fair to say that digital post processing is the equivalent of the work we used to do in the darkroom?  I'm 66 years old and started darkroom work at the age of 13.  The photos I took with my Yashica A TLR seemed to always be underexposed so I had to use different grades of paper for each photo.  With all due respect to the "old school" photographers for whom digital is anathema I think you may have, as I did, breathed to many Dektol and D76 fumes.  One other point, Ansel Adams photos, fantastic as they are, are all black and white.  Anyone who dabbled in color processing must consider digital as a gift from heaven.

-- hide signature --

MRD

Marvin Doering's gear list:Marvin Doering's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
Steven Wandy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,406

KRR wrote:

This thread indicates that the "art" of photography is being overwhelmed by graphic artists. Anybody out there who recalls the days of film when artists needed to have good equipment and then accepted the reality that--for good photos--all you needed was good light and proper camera settings. That's it.

This photoshop dance is contrary to my way of thinking. Why not put your effort into taking better photographs to begin with; then you would not need 1000 exposures, a database, editing, correction, layers, etc. With Aperture's intuitive design, I just crop and save a TIFF. Easy. Simple. Fast. Cheap. Come on people, let's get back to basics and let the graphic artists do their thing without corrupting our thing.

While I do agree with you in principal - having started my interest in photography LONG before digital (and I personally believe there is room for both sides in our hobby/interest) - you do realize that you are preaching on what is basically a TECHIE forum. It seems that most people who inhabit DPReview are more interested in the TECHNICAL (hence PS, LR, Aperture, etc.) side of photography than the actual PHOTOGRAPHIC or ARTISTIC side of it.

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +6 more
Geoff_B Contributing Member • Posts: 733

I have CS5, and the only time I use it is when I need to correct significant lens distortion in an image. And that isn't very often.

My workflow:

RAW edit in RPP (I like it better than ACR, Aperture, LR or Capture NX2 RAW editors)

Aperture

NIK plugins

Nikon Capture NX2

Capture NX2 is designed by NIK. It uses the same control-point platform as their other products. I can open images in NX2 from Aperture with one click, and save back to Aperture in one click. It's a powerful program, but was never really marketed heavily by Nikon, and only a couple of the NIK plugins are available for it. That's too bad, because if all the NIK stuff was there in NX2, I wouldn't bother using Aperture. Nevertheless, I really like my setup. It's fast, the results are great and it's fun to work with.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads