Anyone else notice advances in on-sensor PDAF?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 5,914
Anyone else notice advances in on-sensor PDAF?

Anyone else read that Fuji's patent for their on-sensor PDAF made it into their new APSC and compact cameras announced this week?  It's reported that they're claiming it's the world's fastest AF.  That's a big claim.  I don't know if it's actually what Fujifilm said or whether it's qualified. With it comes focus peaking and a new PDAF assisted visual process for assisting manual focus through a 2.4mpx EVF.

Why is that of any importance here?  Well, Pentax's first cut at mirror-less APSC (the K01) has just ceased production.  I don't know whether we can assume that Pentax will look further at APSC mirrorless, but if they do, it will be hard to ignore developments like these.  The K01 was criticised for its AF and for it's lack of an EVF.  If Fuji's claims are borne out, the K01 may not have compared favorably if its production had continued.  If Pentax are going to compete in that sector, the writing is on the wall.  CDAF  alone is not going to be sufficient.  And the success stories are all going for best current technology in EVF.......

Food for thought.  I wonder what we might see from Pentax next in the way of APSC mirrorless.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 4,863
Re: Anyone else notice advances in on-sensor PDAF?

Hi Rod,

Yes this technology looks like the way forward for mirrorless cameras,fast PDAF straight from the sensor and spot on focusing. This technology will of course spread to other manufacturers,my guess is that Pentax will be one the first customers for the camera.  LOL.

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads