The Orange and Green NEW indiactors ???

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions
Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 13,685
The Orange and Green NEW indiactors ???

I posted my inquiry (using feedback) a few days ago but have not received any type of reply which may be logical considering the other more pressing Dpreview priorities.

I would like to know the conditions where either Green NEW  or Orange NEW is displayed beside various posts.  Originally, when only one NEW this indicated that (the viewer, me) has not read this specific post.  Then when read, the NEW no longer appeared.

Presently, some are Green and some are Orange and others which I have not read will not have any type of NEW indication.

In fact, any that have either color NEW does not seem to disappear even after reading the post.

Will someone (that knows the details) please explain.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Hank3152
Hank3152 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,499
Re: The Orange and Green NEW indiactors ???

It's been discussed a couple of weeks ago..........

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50528493

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
OP Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 13,685

Hank3152 wrote:

It's been discussed a couple of weeks ago..........

It was discussed but I did not read any definitions or descriptions regarding usage.

See below.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50528493

Hank, using search, I found and read the referenced thread several days before I posted in the Feedback area (or this thread) and did not find the definition (or any description) of the different colored NEW entries. The Dpreview person indicated that some users wanted the (feature -- or whatever this is used for) back but I did not see where he explained what these represent.

I have not read the "later" posts (after when I found the thread) to see if someone defined these. Do you know and can you answer my inquiry in my OP. If so, I will appreciate your information.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,312

DPR considers the color coding, and the appearance or not, of the 'NEW' indicators to be completely intuitive, hence absolutely no explanation is necessary.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +47 more

GodSpeaks wrote:

DPR considers the color coding, and the appearance or not, of the 'NEW' indicators to be completely intuitive, hence absolutely no explanation is necessary.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

Not meant to be sarcastic but that seems (to me) like a "cop out" or possibly somewhat like a Microsoft support personnel type of reply

I don't believe that is the case what-so-ever. There must be a reason for the different colored NEW and it should be known what conditions are that create (and use) such. In fact, what and how could this be "completely intuitive" -- because it isn't. Evidently there are more than me that don't have any idea what these represent.

Does anyone actually know and can describe the usage of the different colors and what condition creates them and also what condition that releases (or changes) the NEW indicated status.

If it is "completely intuitive" to you -- then -- would you please describe.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

CFynn Veteran Member • Posts: 5,224
Buggy NEW indiactors

This "feature" seems to have bugs. Often unread newer messages  don't have a "NEW" indicator while older messages do.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +15 more
skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,657

GodSpeaks wrote:

Now that was funny ....

Hank3152
A legend would be nice..........

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

I have not read the "later" posts (after when I found the thread) to see if someone defined these. Do you know and can you answer my inquiry in my OP. If so, I will appreciate your information.

Vernon, like you, I have no clue and have pretty much declined to understand as nobody else knows either..........they're all guessing......

I suppose DPR will respond by saying to just use common sense and figure it out since it's obvious but I don't have the time nor if I did I don't want to spend it trying to figure the code out...........

Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Sunpilot Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: A legend would be nice..........

Hank3152 wrote:

I have not read the "later" posts (after when I found the thread) to see if someone defined these. Do you know and can you answer my inquiry in my OP. If so, I will appreciate your information.

Vernon, like you, I have no clue and have pretty much declined to understand as nobody else knows either..........they're all guessing......

I suppose DPR will respond by saying to just use common sense and figure it out since it's obvious but I don't have the time nor if I did I don't want to spend it trying to figure the code out...........

Why doesn't DPR just post a legend that would be available to everyone?  Then there would be no questions, and no wasted forum space asking and pondering how to interpret the icons and colors.

Sunpilot's gear list:Sunpilot's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,312

GodSpeaks wrote:

-- hide signature --

- Rayna Butler

Not meant to be sarcastic but that seems (to me) like a "cop out" or possibly somewhat like a Microsoft support personnel type of reply

I was being sarcastic.  Sorry if you didn't get that.

If it is "completely intuitive" to you -- then -- would you please describe.

It is completely unintuitive to me.  I find very little that dpr has done lately makes any sense.  Their total lack of explanation is also somewhat user hostile.

-- hide signature --

- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +47 more
Attention Moderator -- Re: The Orange and Green NEW indiactors ???

I posted my inquiry (using feedback) a few days ago but have not received any type of reply which may be logical considering the other more pressing Dpreview priorities.

I would like to know the conditions where either Green NEW or Orange NEW is displayed beside various posts. Originally, when only one NEW this indicated that (the viewer, me) has not read this specific post. Then when read, the NEW no longer appeared.

Presently, some are Green and some are Orange and others which I have not read will not have any type of NEW indication.

In fact, any that have either color NEW does not seem to disappear even after reading the post.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

After several days (or weeks) I have not had any type reply from Dpreview regarding my inquiry (using feedback).  Has anyone received any information regarding my inquiry in the OP.

If there are any of the Moderator's that may read this post, will you please see if you can answer the inquiry --OR-- if not, ask those at Dpreview (that normally take care of answering feedback inquiries)  to please supply the answer(s)......

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Re: Attention-2nd for Moderator -- Re: The Orange and Green NEW indiactors ???

I posted my inquiry (using feedback) a few days ago but have not received any type of reply which may be logical considering the other more pressing Dpreview priorities.

I would like to know the conditions where either Green NEW or Orange NEW is displayed beside various posts. Originally, when only one NEW this indicated that (the viewer, me) has not read this specific post. Then when read, the NEW no longer appeared.

Presently, some are Green and some are Orange and others which I have not read will not have any type of NEW indication.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

After several days (or weeks) I have not had any type reply from Dpreview regarding my inquiry (using feedback). Has anyone received any information regarding my inquiry in the OP.

If there are any of the Moderator's that may read this post, will you please see if you can answer the inquiry --OR-- if not, ask those at Dpreview (that normally take care of answering feedback inquiries) to please supply the answer(s)......

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Exact SAME inquiry.............

After several days (or weeks) I have not had any type reply from Dpreview regarding my inquiry (using feedback). Has anyone received any information regarding my inquiry in the OP.

If there are any of the Moderator's that may read this post, will you please see if you can answer the inquiry --OR-- if not, ask those at Dpreview (that normally take care of answering feedback inquiries) to please supply the answer(s)......

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Re: 3rd Attention for Moderator -- Re: The Orange and Green NEW indiactors ???

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Exact SAME inquiry.............

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Is the only way to get the attention of a Moderator or any capable Dpreview person to reply to this post -- only by doing something -- VERY  WRONG -- on the Forum -- and specifically in this thread.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Hank3152
Re: 3rd Attention for Moderator -- Re: The Orange and Green NEW indiactors ???

Is the only way to get the attention of a Moderator or any capable Dpreview person to reply to this post -- only by doing something -- VERY WRONG -- on the Forum -- and specifically in this thread.

I've heard members occasionally have better luck getting a response by using the feedback option located at the very bottom of the page

Deleted1929 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,050
Moderator note

DPR don't generally respond to Feedback.  They do read it, but they don't generally respond.  Demanding a response won't get one.  Whether they do what you want is not something you can control.

Moderators have nothing to do with this process - we don't even see Feedback.

And if you deliberately break rules on the forum you'll be punished for it.  The "I want people to pay attention to me" defense won't work.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Simon Joinson
Simon Joinson dpreview Admin • Posts: 5,015

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

They're the same as they've always been: red is new since your last visit, green is new since your last session started (i.e since you arrived) - unless the last post is over 12 hours ago (from memory) in which case it's not new by any definition.

We dropped these labels in the redesign, then brought them back because a lot of people asked (they are kind of redundant IMO).

The white dots to the left of the subject tell you whether you've read some - or all - of the posts in a thread.

Note that you didn't get a reply because we were all at CES (and before that on our xmas break when we basically close shop for 2 weeks).

Simon

-- hide signature --

Simon Joinson, Editor-in-chief
dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 +23 more
skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,657

Simon Joinson wrote:

The white dots to the left of the subject tell you whether you've read some - or all - of the posts in a thread.

Simon,

Are the white dots scheduled to be incorporated in "Recent Forum Activity" listings?  They are very handy in the forum listings.

Thanks,
Sky

Simon Joinson wrote:

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

They're the same as they've always been: red is new since your last visit, green is new since your last session started (i.e since you arrived) - unless the last post is over 12 hours ago (from memory) in which case it's not new by any definition.

We dropped these labels in the redesign, then brought them back because a lot of people asked (they are kind of redundant IMO).

Note that you didn't get a reply because we were all at CES (and before that on our xmas break when we basically close shop for 2 weeks).

Simon

-- hide signature --

dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

Simon, I appreciate your response and explaining the meaning/usage of the different "NEW" indicators.  I realize my inquiry was during the normal Holiday season but (of course) would not have any idea of the period of time for replies due to the (away for holidays) number of days.

The Moderator seems to have a different approach regarding any type of help --and-- seems to have a somewhat aggressive and "overbearing" type of attitude and appears that He/She may not actually understand the normal response (when requested) to feedback inquiries.

For the other recent post, you are correct and that is why I first used the Feedback and waited what would normally be a logical length of time for a response -- and then (and only then) I created the thread to try to get an answer to my original inquiry

Simon, thanks again....

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

DonA2
DonA2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,080

Vernon, you seem to have the attitude that the world revolves around you.  Well, no it doesn't.  As for your remark re the moderator It is simply insulting.  Mods have been doing an excellent job here and in this case have responded appropriately and with restraint.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Simon -- Re: The Orange and Green NEW indiactors ???

Simon Joinson wrote:

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Simon

-- hide signature --

dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

Simon, I have observed the NEW indicators for a day or so (after your reply) and this brings up a question as to when are the NEW indicators changed (or dropped) after I open and review a post.  They seem to still be present as NEW even after closing down Dpreview and reopening it and review the same Thread and same posts.

I will appreciate your help regarding this.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads