HP Premium Plus Photo Paper

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions
fft81 Contributing Member • Posts: 945
HP Premium Plus Photo Paper

I see this paper rather cheap on ebay in 8.5x11. Online i see very mixed reviews about the paper, but the arguments brought fourth against this paper make me question reviewers intelligence. For example blaming color fading on paper, instead of on ink...

Any how, has any one of you tried this paper and has any feelings about it? I currently have HP Premium (not the premium plus) paper in 5x7 and have no problems with it.

This will be mostly for hand outs to friends and family, but i would like "decent" archivability... say 10+ years in a closed album.

Thanks

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,801
Re: HP Premium Plus Photo Paper

fft81 wrote:

I see this paper rather cheap on ebay in 8.5x11. Online i see very mixed reviews about the paper, but the arguments brought fourth against this paper make me question reviewers intelligence. For example blaming color fading on paper, instead of on ink...

Any how, has any one of you tried this paper and has any feelings about it? I currently have HP Premium (not the premium plus) paper in 5x7 and have no problems with it.

This will be mostly for hand outs to friends and family, but i would like "decent" archivability... say 10+ years in a closed album.

Thanks

I've made the mistake of buying some of this paper at my local Mricenter store and I should have know as it was in a huge barrel by the check out stations.

The main problem with the HP paper is that it is incompatible with Epson inks. Due to the type of coating. Possible ink puddling ( That was my main problem ) as well as taking forever to dry has been observed by me. Specially with Pigment inks.

The HP matte paper may work a lot better is you can find a good profile or create one yourself if you have the hardware to do so.

ABA DABA Veteran Member • Posts: 3,084

I can't comment on the HPpremium plus, but I can on HP premium glossy 8.5x11. I use quite a bit of it and have not encountered any problems on my HP Deskjet 9800 13x19. I would add that I allow ample time to ensure the prints are thoroughly dry.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,674

With pigment or dye based inks?

With pigment inks it doesn’t work well. With dye inks, the paper does not have longevity. It is a lovely looking RC paper, but I have prints less than two years old with HP inks and no direct light, that are more than noticeable faded. If you want to pass snapshots around, it is hard to beat Walmart and Costco for price and quality.

I wouldn't give it more than a couple of years in a refrigerator buried 200 metres underground. It isn’t acid free, nor is it archival by any stretch of the imagination.

Brian A

montera2 Regular Member • Posts: 463

I think there has been some changes in this product called HP Premium Plus Photo Paper. Some years ago it was swellable and I used it a lot with my dye ink DJ130, very nice if used the satin finish. Now it seems it's just another RC paper not suitable for dye ink, if you want your photos to last for more than a year or so and as stated not so good with pigment ink either. It seems that the swellable product range has been discontinued by all manufacturers and dye ink users are forced to use matte paper, as I do for books only. Between covers there is no fading colors.

montera2's gear list:montera2's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro
jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,801

ABA DABA wrote:

I can't comment on the HPpremium plus, but I can on HP premium glossy 8.5x11. I use quite a bit of it and have not encountered any problems on my HP Deskjet 9800 13x19. I would add that I allow ample time to ensure the prints are thoroughly dry.

HP paper plus HP printer will of course print without problems. I have seen too many people try to use this paper as well as Kodak Glossy papers on Epsons which due to the Coating on these papers is incompatible with most Epson inks.

OP fft81 Contributing Member • Posts: 945

Thank you all for the replies. I use Epson 3880 with non-oem pigment inks (compatible ink from inkowl).

I went to the store and bought a small pack of the paper to "try it out". So far the ink drying time seemed reasonable. Can't speak for paper yellowing or archivability though.

Would placing it on windowsill be a good test for fading? I don't want to wait 2 years though...

Hugowolf wrote:

With pigment or dye based inks?

With pigment inks it doesn’t work well. With dye inks, the paper does not have longevity. It is a lovely looking RC paper, but I have prints less than two years old with HP inks and no direct light, that are more than noticeable faded. If you want to pass snapshots around, it is hard to beat Walmart and Costco for price and quality.

I wouldn't give it more than a couple of years in a refrigerator buried 200 metres underground. It isn’t acid free, nor is it archival by any stretch of the imagination.

Brian A

Are you assuming that the fridge has uninterupted power? Makes sense about the acid though.

Thanks.

You have to love HP analysis of HP papers. Paper is either acid free or it isn't, forget about 'industry standards'. What industry standards are we talking about, the BS and Euphemism industry?

Either the Ph is higher than 7 or it isn't.

Brian A

Mark McCormick Senior Member • Posts: 1,243

montera2 is correct. Hp phased out the original swellable polymer type Premium Plus paper around the summer of 2011. The new HP Premium Plus is a microporous type paper, so it should be compatible with both dye and pigmented ink as far as initial image quality. The new packages display the term "instant dry" somewhere on the package. The older swellable type is not compatlble with pigmented inks but gave much better light fade and gas fade resistance when used with dye-based printers.

cheers,
Mark

http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Hugowolf wrote:

You have to love HP analysis of HP papers. Paper is either acid free or it isn't, forget about 'industry standards'. What industry standards are we talking about, the BS and Euphemism industry?

Either the Ph is higher than 7 or it isn't.

Brian A

Actually PH=7 is neutral; acidic is below 7. (I am a nuclear physicist in RL)

fft81 wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

Brian A

Actually PH=7 is neutral; acidic is below 7.

Exactly, so lower than 7 would be acidic and 7 or higher would not. Neutral is neither acid nor alkali. I occasionally brew beer, but I don't know what that has to do with photography and printing.

Brian A

Hugowolf wrote:

fft81 wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

Brian A

Exactly, so lower than 7 would be acidic and 7 or higher would not. Neutral is neither acid nor alkali. I occasionally brew beer, but I don't know what that has to do with photography and printing.

Brian A

I was just giving you hard time pointing out that neutral is still not acidic.

With such abundance of dirt cheap hp paper on ebay i find it wierd that i cant find any non-hp conducted light fastness tests for misc inks. also i find it weird that if hp paper sux that they still make so much of it.

Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 13,733

fft81 wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

fft81 wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

Brian A

Exactly, so lower than 7 would be acidic and 7 or higher would not. Neutral is neither acid nor alkali. I occasionally brew beer, but I don't know what that has to do with photography and printing.

Brian A

I was just giving you hard time pointing out that neutral is still not acidic.

With such abundance of dirt cheap hp paper on ebay i find it wierd that i cant find any non-hp conducted light fastness tests for misc inks. also i find it weird that if hp paper sux that they still make so much of it.

Wouldn't HP make anything -- either good or bad -- for the all-mighty-dollar.....

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

fft81 wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

fft81 wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

Brian A

With such abundance of dirt cheap hp paper on ebay i find it wierd that i cant find any non-hp conducted light fastness tests for misc inks.

It seems most of the external testing is done on pigment inks. Apart from Mark's testing, I see very little data on paper color fastness and much more on the longevity of the inks on the paper. Given how few printers thare are with white inks, paper color shifts are as important as any other color shift.

also i find it weird that if hp paper sux that they still make so much of it.

I think they sell a lot of it to people with HP all-in-one printers. I am sure it is a much larger market than fine art printing. I haven't seen many office supply stores selling 300 g/m² cotton rag.

There is nothing wrong with it. I have seen some very nice surfaces on HP papers. I just wouldn't expect too much in the way of longevity.

Brian A

Hugowolf wrote:

It seems most of the external testing is done on pigment inks. Apart from Mark's testing, I see very little data on paper color fastness and much more on the longevity of the inks on the paper. Given how few printers thare are with white inks, paper color shifts are as important as any other color shift.

Brian A

+1

Since we are on the subject of papers. Does anyone know of paper/inks that are resistant to fading  or at least good for longevity. In my case that will work with HP inks (inkjet printer)

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

ABA DABA wrote:

Since we are on the subject of papers. Does anyone know of paper/inks that are resistant to fading or at least good for longevity. In my case that will work with HP inks (inkjet printer

Dye or pigment?

Brian A

Hugowolf wrote:

ABA DABA wrote:

Since we are on the subject of papers. Does anyone know of paper/inks that are resistant to fading or at least good for longevity. In my case that will work with HP inks (inkjet printer

Dye or pigment?

Brian A

I believe HP inks are dye, not sure will have to try and find out.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads