V1 + FT1 + Tamron 70-300 VC - Difference VC makes

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions
Hirsti Contributing Member • Posts: 647
V1 + FT1 + Tamron 70-300 VC - Difference VC makes

I received my new lens the other day and have been itching to try it out with the Nikon V1 and FT1 adapter.  It is a Tamron SP 70-300 VC.

I have so far only been able to use it indoors under house lighting due to bad weather and working in the day

So far I have been amazed at what a difference the VC makes when shooting hand held.

Here are 2 shots taken with the same settings, one with VC off and one with it on.

I am off out tommorow morning, the weather is predicted to be ok so hopefully I can give it a good test out and see how I think it compares to the Nikon.

VC OFF

VC ON

Hirsti's gear list:Hirsti's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Samsung NX200 Nikon 1 V1 Samsung NX1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +18 more
Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bobby Handal
Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,523
Re: V1 + FT1 + Tamron 70-300 VC - Difference VC makes

I love VR and VC, IS, OS, whatever, it is just awesome technology. Enjoy your new lens !!

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/bobhandal/BANNERXPEDITION1.jpg

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Ricoh WG-M1 Nikon Coolpix AW130 Nikon Coolpix P900 +75 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 5,743

Get out there and get us some samples! I am real curious as to how well this lens does compared to the Nikon as it is often sold for quite a bit less.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +17 more
OP Hirsti Contributing Member • Posts: 647

Paul Pasco wrote:

Get out there and get us some samples! I am real curious as to how well this lens does compared to the Nikon as it is often sold for quite a bit less.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

I also have the Nikon 70-300 vr lens but unfortunately the vr switch is broken so vr doesnt work but autofocus and everything else does.

I can already tell that the vc on the tamron is better than the nikon although the vc occasionally judders when panning which wouldnt be good for video.

I am taking out with me tomorow both lenses with my tripod so at least i can do some comparitive non vr/non vc shots

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Samsung NX200 Nikon 1 V1 Samsung NX1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +18 more
WD Contributing Member • Posts: 520

Hirsti wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

I also have the Nikon 70-300 vr lens but unfortunately the vr switch is broken so vr doesnt work but autofocus and everything else does.

I can already tell that the vc on the tamron is better than the nikon although the vc occasionally judders when panning which wouldnt be good for video.

I am taking out with me tomorow both lenses with my tripod so at least i can do some comparitive non vr/non vc shots

Will be interested in your comparison.  I purchased the same Tamron and returned it because the VR worked on my D300 ok but jerked badly on a D70.  I switched to the Nikon and found the focusing and VR superior.  The Nikon works wonderfully with the FT-1 on my V1.  My Tamron was one of the first produced, so perhaps yours will be better.  Looking forward to your results.

-- hide signature --

Warren

JP Scherrer
JP Scherrer Forum Pro • Posts: 10,475
Compatibility !?!

Hirsti wrote:

...........I shot using a Nikon V1 with a FT1 adapter which makes it a crop factor of 2.7

Intersting ! So not only the AUTO-FOCUS, but also the VIBRATION REDUCTION system works when this Tamron is coupled to the Nikon V1 thru the FT-1 ?

I thought only the Nikon lenses were 100% compatible ???

J-P.

Photo Galeries at http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Spherical Panoramas (360x180 degrees) at http://www.viewat.org/?sec=pn&id_aut=2489
Equipment list in profile

JP Scherrer's gear list:JP Scherrer's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
JK5700
JK5700 Senior Member • Posts: 1,699

For interest sake: on my Nikon lenses the VR stays on constantly on the V1 draining the battery. How does VC behave?

-- hide signature --

http://kennekam.blogspot.com/
www.pbase.com/kennekam

JK5700's gear list:JK5700's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
dimasato Regular Member • Posts: 317

Goodluck with your test! Also ordered this lens from b&h and am excited to test it with my ft1...

dimasato's gear list:dimasato's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-Zoom

JK5700 wrote:

For interest sake: on my Nikon lenses the VR stays on constantly on the V1 draining the battery. How does VC behave?

-- hide signature --

http://kennekam.blogspot.com/
www.pbase.com/kennekam

It is the same with the Tamron VC, once the VC is activated by half pressing the shutter it stays on until you either switch off VC on the lens or the V1 is switched off or goes to sleep.

This is only on the FT1 adapter, when I mount the Tamron onto my Nikon D40 it comes on when I focus then stops after a short time after i release the focus button.

I can see what you mean by the battery but I took 500 shots this morning and the VC on the Tamron lens was on all the time and I didnt notice any major battery drain.

Personally I prefer it being on all the time as the noise is just a continuous hum rather than the screeching noise you get when VC is activated and then deactivated.  Mounted on my D40 it is particularly grating to keep getting the activation/deactivation noise every time I take a shot.

I would like also to say that in my opinion the VC on the Tamron performs better than the VR on the Nikon.

I know you are not supposed to but yesterday I was trying to get a shot of  a rarely seen bird (it is where I live anyway) a Great Grey Shrike.  The light wasn't very good, it was windy and the Bird was a fairly long way away and wasn't going to come any closer.  I wanted to get a record shot and mounted the Tamron 70-300 VC onto my reasonably solid tripod.  When I tried to take the shot with VC turned off the vibration from the wind was making the shot pretty blurred.  I turned on VC even though it was on the tripod it allowed me to get a fairly sharp shot.  It wasn't a perfect shot but it at least allowed me to get a identifiable record of the bird.

Nikon V1 + FT1 +Tamron 70 300 VC + Tripod

Hope this helps.

Re: Compatibility !?!

JP Scherrer wrote:

Hirsti wrote:

...........I shot using a Nikon V1 with a FT1 adapter which makes it a crop factor of 2.7

Intersting ! So not only the AUTO-FOCUS, but also the VIBRATION REDUCTION system works when this Tamron is coupled to the Nikon V1 thru the FT-1 ?

I thought only the Nikon lenses were 100% compatible ???

J-P.

Photo Galeries at http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Spherical Panoramas (360x180 degrees) at http://www.viewat.org/?sec=pn&id_aut=2489
Equipment list in profile

Yes, there are some third party lenses that will Auto Focus, meter and activate the Vibration Reduction systems.

Some Sigma's and Some Tamron's seem to work but not all.

Before considering buying a lens or an adapter please make sure you are very certain that they will work together, best way is to have a trip to your local camera store.

I went our with my gear yesterday, the light was dreadful and unfortunately the shots are not worth posting.

I went back out this morning and managed to get 14 mins of ok light before the fog rolled in.

Here are a few taken with the Tamron on a tripod, VC diabled.  All have been processed in Lightroom with noise reduction and a little sharpening.  None of them have been cropped.

Nikon V1 + FT1 + Tamron 70-300 VC + Tripod

Here are a couple of Nikon 70 - 300 VR lens on a tripod, VR not working..

Again they have been processed in Lightroom with noise reduction and sharpening:

Nikon V1 + FT1 + Nikon 70-300 VR + Tripod

Nikon V1 + FT1 + Nikon 70-300 VR + Tripod

fbuis
fbuis Regular Member • Posts: 168

Following these photos, it seems that the Tamron is sharper than the Nikon.

fbuis's gear list:fbuis's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +18 more

fbuis wrote:

I think at 300mm fully open it is slightly sharper however the Nikon Auto Focus on the FT1 is a lot better than the Tamron.  The Tamron at 300 (810 35mm equiv) has difficulty locking on autofocus in anything less than good light.  The nikon still has problems but performs better than the Tamron.

Overall I think the Tamron is as good if not better than the Nikon and considering that you can get the Tamron for £280 (incl 5 Year Warranty) compared to £380 for the Nikon then for me its a no brainer.

I had the Nikon for 6 years before the VR broke and it was a great lens but I just couldn't justify the extra £100.

Looking forward to getting a day where we have good daylight so I can at least get the shutter speed up to 1/500th.

I was looking at some old shots with the Nikon 70-300 VR on my D40 and also the D300 I used to own and I am really pleased with the extra reach the Nikon V1+FT1 adapter gives you without any loss in quality and light.

fbuis
fbuis Regular Member • Posts: 168

Many thanks for your advice.

Just ordered the Tamron 70-300 VC USD, will received on this week-end and will try it with my V1. As you said, it's cheaper than the Nikon about £100. Warranty of this lens in France is 2 years compared to 5 years in UK and Germany.

fbuis's gear list:fbuis's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +18 more
averageguy Regular Member • Posts: 212

Hirsti wrote:

fbuis wrote:

I think at 300mm fully open it is slightly sharper however the Nikon Auto Focus on the FT1 is a lot better than the Tamron. The Tamron at 300 (810 35mm equiv) has difficulty locking on autofocus in anything less than good light. The nikon still has problems but performs better than the Tamron.

Overall I think the Tamron is as good if not better than the Nikon and considering that you can get the Tamron for £280 (incl 5 Year Warranty) compared to £380 for the Nikon then for me its a no brainer.

I had the Nikon for 6 years before the VR broke and it was a great lens but I just couldn't justify the extra £100.

Looking forward to getting a day where we have good daylight so I can at least get the shutter speed up to 1/500th.

I was looking at some old shots with the Nikon 70-300 VR on my D40 and also the D300 I used to own and I am really pleased with the extra reach the Nikon V1+FT1 adapter gives you without any loss in quality and light.

Is this the nikon lens you are talking about?

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens

Only on amazon its going for £200...and yet you are saying its nearer to £400...have i got the wrong lens?

wymjym Veteran Member • Posts: 5,491

averageguy wrote:

Only on amazon its going for £200...and yet you are saying its nearer to £400...have i got the wrong lens?

wrong? yes!

the 70-300 VR not 55-300VR

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujiandricoh

wymjym wrote:

averageguy wrote:

wrong? yes!

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujiandricoh

DOH!!!

Silly me

wymjym wrote:

averageguy wrote:

wrong? yes!

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujiandricoh

Is there that much difference re the use/quality of lens...considering there is such a price difference

averageguy wrote:

wymjym wrote:

averageguy wrote:

wrong? yes!

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujiandricoh

Is there that much difference re the use/quality of lens...considering there is such a price difference

i have used the 50-300 vr nikon on the ft1, my father in law owns the lens, the vr isnt as good as the one on the nikon 70-300 vr, it is isnt as sharp and is particularly bad in low light acquiring focus.

One advantage is that it is considerably smaller and lighter than the 70-300

Personally I would rank them in the following order, 1. Tamron 70-300 vc, 2. Nikon 70-300 vr and 3. Nikon 50-300 vr

Faith Yeung Regular Member • Posts: 492

really like the light weight combo for birds.

Any pict. by handheld to share?

Faith Yeung's gear list:Faith Yeung's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Sony SLT-A77 Samsung NX20 Nikon 1 V2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads