Seeing color accurately after cataract surgery and yellow tinted lenses

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions
Pikabird33 New Member • Posts: 2
Seeing color accurately after cataract surgery and yellow tinted lenses

Found this topic from 2010 and would like to know if there is new information.  Have not had cataract surgery yet but the recommended lens has a yellow tint and I would like to know if others with yellow tinted replacement lenses are having any issues with seeing color or contrast, in real life or in your prints or on your monitors.

Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Forum Pro • Posts: 10,475
Re: Seeing color accurately after cataract surgery and yellow tinted lenses

I'm slowly developing cataracts in both eyes and have been told by the opthalmologist that my corneas are turning yellow/ brown because excess UV exposure (I worked in the middle east a lot which apparently was on of the main triggers staring the problem off)

When I checked my colour vision recently I found I am losing my colour discrimination in the blue / turquoise / green range but so far its not messing up my final printed images too much

You may find something similar after the op?

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R6 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +1 more
gollywop
gollywop Veteran Member • Posts: 8,301

Pikabird33 wrote:

Found this topic from 2010 and would like to know if there is new information. Have not had cataract surgery yet but the recommended lens has a yellow tint and I would like to know if others with yellow tinted replacement lenses are having any issues with seeing color or contrast, in real life or in your prints or on your monitors.

Gosh, Pikabird33, why the yellow?  I've had cataract surgery in both eyes about 5-6 years ago, and the lenses were pure.  My color vision was excellent before (except when the cataracts were acting up) and remains so.  My surgeon is one of the best in the Boston area, and I expect she knew what she was up to.  So I seriously doubt that yellow lenses are essential.  Am I missing something?

-- hide signature --

gollywop

Chas P Contributing Member • Posts: 814

This is speculation on my part but I would imagine that your brain will quickly subtract the yellow tint. Driving/cycling spectacles often have a mild yellow or pink tint and I understand they increase contrast. Someone may chime in to correct me on this but I think the theory goes that the tint forces your pupil to dilate a little thereby compensating for the loss of light due to tinting. I had a pair of pink tinted Biko specs that brought the world into incredibly sharp view.

My very limited memory of biology class suggests that the rods are located centrally, surrounded by cones. Rods deal with contrast and cones with colour. Tinted lenses may open the pupil thereby getting more light to the peripheral cones?

Best of luck with your precious peepers!

Chas P's gear list:Chas P's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +2 more
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,963

Here is a link that brings up some of the issues/benefits of the yellow tinted IOLs.

It may be your doctor is recommending the yellow tint based on your particular situation, or maybe he just thinks everyone should get them.

http://www.myvisiontest.com/newsarchive.php?id=740

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
OP Pikabird33 New Member • Posts: 2

The only reason I am even considering the yellow tinted lenses is because I was told the correction was "more predictable" with the AcrySof Toric lens (for astigmatism) than if the surgeon simply made some incisions and inserted a regular clear lens.  He said the AcrySof only comes in yellow. Go figure...

gollywop
gollywop Veteran Member • Posts: 8,301

Pikabird33 wrote:

The only reason I am even considering the yellow tinted lenses is because I was told the correction was "more predictable" with the AcrySof Toric lens (for astigmatism) than if the surgeon simply made some incisions and inserted a regular clear lens. He said the AcrySof only comes in yellow. Go figure...

I guess you're hoping to have a complete correction so that you will not require glasses afterwards.  I have always worn glasses (since JHS) and I never had a thought of giving them up.  I rather like being a bit on the near-sighted side.  So I guess I just figured if I needed astigmatic correction I would just do it with the glasses.  I'd certainly rather that then a yellow tint.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads