Can you charge Oly battery in Wasabi charger

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions
dharma108 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,682
Can you charge Oly battery in Wasabi charger

Will be traveling soon and want to cut down on weight. I have oly batteries for E5 and Wasabi non-propriety batteries for E5.

My question is--does anyone know if it is okay to charge the Oly battery in the Wasabi charger?

Thank you, Dharma.

dharma108's gear list:dharma108's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +28 more
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Brad Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,927
Re: Can you charge Oly battery in Wasabi charger

Yes wasabi will power Oly batteries but Oly chargers will not charge Wasabi

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Brad Ross's gear list:Brad Ross's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II
OP dharma108 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,682
Thanks so much Brad n/t

Dharma

Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +28 more
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 6,298
Brad and Dharma

That is not my experience. Brad

I have 2 Wasabii BLM-5 batteries labelled    "BTR-BLM5-JWP"

They care completely interchangeable with the Oly BLM-5 and charge exactly the same with  the Oly charger.   In fact I rarely use the Wasabi charger as it requires a plug adaptor for use in Australia, but it does have the handy 12v input

Also, fyi the Wasabi charger works 100% with the Oly BLM-5

I have 4 genuine and 3  clone BLM-5 batteries and have never needed to match any of them to a particular BLM-5 charger.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +11 more
Brad Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,927
Re: Brad and Dharma

I guess because tha light does not come on when I put a Wasabi in the Oly charger, I assumed it was not charging or was it the light will not go off, To know when it is fully charged,I can't remember,  flying to Cuba tomorrow with the e-5 and Omd, and Wasabi chargers, but  Cuba uses the outlet as the US at least in the hotel that I am staying, and the chargers are those little ones without a cord that plug directly in the outlet

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Brad Ross's gear list:Brad Ross's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 6,298
Wasabi charger vs BCM-5

Brad,

I've just recharged 2 Wasabi BLM-5 clones. They had both been fully charged and then heavily used  in my HLD-4 battery grip every day for a full week of shooting and then left unused for 2 weeks.

I just used these 2 Wasabi batteries to compare the Wasabi and Oly chargers head to head.

Oly BCM-5:  with no battery = Light OFF, 
              with discharged Wasabi battery = light ON, Light turned OFF when fully charged

Wasabi charger: with no battery inserted = GREEN light
         with discharged Wasabi battery = RED light, and then orange and finally GREEN when charged

Observation:  the Wasabi charger seemed to be taking longer  to charge its battery, so I quickly took the battery out and tried it in the Oly charger. The Oly charger said it was fully charged !

I put the battery back in the Wasabi charger and it and kept charging for another 10 minutes. So I put this down to a minor difference in the charging circuits and definitely of no concern.

Conclusion:  Wasabi charger 100% compatible and same charge time as the Oly BCM-5

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +11 more
OP dharma108 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,682
Peter and Brad

Thanks so much for the info. Good to know I only need to take one charger with me while traveling. That will be the Wasabi charger because it's a bit lighter and every gram counts.

Cheers, Dharma

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads