Printing with NX2 verses Photoshop

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions
comoxbrit Contributing Member • Posts: 726
Printing with NX2 verses Photoshop

I made 3 prints of the same image on my 2200 with P/S and then I made a print of the same image using NX2 to see if I would get the same results.  The NX2 print had low contrast and the colour was off, quite bland compared to P/S.

To save me time and money, paper and ink, making endless test prints I am wondering if anybody has been able to get the same results from  NX2 as you would from P/S.

I am just curious to see if it is feasible.

-- hide signature --

www.derekvallintine.com

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,402
Re: Printing with NX2 verses Photoshop

comoxbrit wrote:

I made 3 prints of the same image on my 2200 with P/S and then I made a print of the same image using NX2 to see if I would get the same results. The NX2 print had low contrast and the colour was off, quite bland compared to P/S.

To save me time and money, paper and ink, making endless test prints I am wondering if anybody has been able to get the same results from NX2 as you would from P/S.

I am just curious to see if it is feasible.

-- hide signature --

I do do not use it but does NX2 allow you to control color and print through an ICC profile?

The only way I can see your results matching is if you allow color management in Photoshop with the correct ICC profile for the paper. Set the correct paper choice in the 2200 driver and quality, and turn off color managment in the driver.

Then in  NX2  you would need to allow IT to also control color through the same ICC profile.

Both apps would have to be using the same rendering intent, the same ICC profile for the same paper.

Then in the 2200 driver you turn off color management pick printing quality and the correct paper type to match the ICC profile used in both app.

I have been able to match 4 printers from the same file. Printed out of PS, LR, Qimage and PSP by following the proper color management workflow.

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 8,024
I use PS and NX2

And get identcal prints from both even with the application managing colors, or the printer managEs colors.

If you don't get identical prints your settings are no correct somewhere.

1. What OS are you uding. Win or Mac?

2. Are your color spaces the same in each application?

Bob P.

OP comoxbrit Contributing Member • Posts: 726
Re: I use PS and NX2

Thanks for replying guys. I am using a Mac with 10.8.2. When I go to print I  go to Color Management and click on for Use Source Profile but it will not let my paper profile Moab, to become bold, it stays grey. If I click on Use Color Management I can get the Moab profile to become bold but I still get a wrong off color print.

I went into NX2 preferences and set the printer profile to the  Moab profile but still got a bad print.

In P/S I am using the same profile.

Any suggestions?

-- hide signature --

www.derekvallintine.com

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,402

If you turn off color management in the 2200's driver's advanced tab / ICM / No Color Adjustment then in the PS print window choose, Let Photoshop Control Color, ALL your installed profiles will be available. Only when you have Let PRinter Control Color will the profiles be Grayed Out!

I am not a NX2 user so cannot really comment on its settings.

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 8,499

I dont have any suggestions other than to say I gave up on printign from NX2 for a similar reason.

I tried every permutation of settings for profiles and color management and NX2 would consistently apply the DISPLAY color profile to the print which of course is wrong.  Conversations w/ Nik support did not solve the issue.  That was 18 months ago so maybe something has changed in the interim, I should dblcheck

comoxbrit wrote:

Thanks for replying guys. I am using a Mac with 10.8.2. When I go to print I go to Color Management and click on for Use Source Profile but it will not let my paper profile Moab, to become bold, it stays grey. If I click on Use Color Management I can get the Moab profile to become bold but I still get a wrong off color print.

I went into NX2 preferences and set the printer profile to the Moab profile but still got a bad print.

In P/S I am using the same profile.

Any suggestions?

-- hide signature --

www.derekvallintine.com

NX2 is simple to use...

you just need to set it up correctly, takes a few minutes.

I edit and print 99% of my work from NX2 without any issues at all, the best Nikon RAW editor in my opinion.

Bob P.

I use the Windows version so hopefully the MAC version is similar.

1. Set up in Preferences as follows, only check that one box.  Use sRGB until you get comfortable about printing with sRGB and then swtich to AdobeRGB if needed. The Printer Profile listed here is only used (it's the dfault)when you soft proof, there is another profile list in soft proofing if you need to select another profile, so I recommend you don't check this Profile Box.

2. Load you photo file and edit.

3.  Click on Print

4.  In the Print Box, the settings...

5.  Choose your profile from the list, the intent, BPC.

If you click on Source Profile box, what that means is that it will use the Printer driver only (no ICC profiles, they will be grey'd out).

6.  Click on Print, in Windows it takes you to another print window where you choose your printer model and it's Preferences (see Pref photo below)), in this case you must turn off color managment in the Printer Driver's Mode list, then click on Print  and you should get a perfect print.

It's quite simple to print from NX2, and the print IQ from PS or LR will be identical.

Hopefully this is enough for you to use with the MAC version.  If not, go to the Nikon FX frum and post the same question but tell them you have a MAC version and someone there will fill you in.

Bob P.

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 8,499

believe me, I generally know what I'm doing and have tried any number of permutations of settings and it's just damn strange.

Perhaps when I want to waste some more paper, I'll give it another go-round.

Howard....

it's really no different than Photoshop or Lightroom when it comes to printing, you either click on Use Source Profile (that lets the printer control colors), or click on Use Color Management (the app controls colors and uses ICC profiles).

I like NX2 because of the RAW converter, I find it does a superb job than PS's ARC.  I shoot Nikon DSLRs in Neutral mode, I find that applying in NX2 a 20% contrast, sometimes a 5% color boost, and unsharp mask (66,5,4) gives me an excellent print match to my monitor to where I just use NX2's auto batch conversion processing with these settings most of the time for all my wedding photos.  I use PS for special editing adjustments.

Bob P.

GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
Re: Howard....

Petruska wrote:

.... I shoot Nikon DSLRs in Neutral mode, I find that applying in NX2 a 20% contrast, sometimes a 5% color boost, and unsharp mask (66,5,4) gives me an excellent print match to my monitor to where I just use NX2's auto batch conversion processing with these settings most of the time for all my wedding photos. I use PS for special editing adjustments.

Bob P.

Bob, I'm curious as to your unsharp mask setting of 66.  If I go over 15 in the sharpening, I get dinged for being "Too sharp."  Out of QI Ultimate though, I set it for 12 for its sharpening in the print so maybe it's there where my sharpening is getting max'ed out at?

I do have the in camera menu "Neutral mode" sharpening set to 7 though but never really got a good explanation if applying there also affects the NEF too in some degree when CaptureNX2 reads it.

Mack

On the sharpening....

yes, on screen 66 looks slightly over sharpened but I use those settings for correct sharpness in the prints. If you preset sharpening to 7 in the neutral Picture Control  and then use 66 yes I can see too much sharpening resulting.  My in camera preset sharpening is 2, that's more for my JPG files as discussed below.

Regarding RAW settings in NX2...

Yes, NX2 does apply the Picture Control's sharpness, WB, and any other in camera settings you make and the photo displayed on the screen show those settings results, that's the beauty of NX2.  PS and Lightroom does not, it is just the natural RAW files with those apps.  The in camera Picture Control settings are also applied directly to the the JPG file if you shoot JPG.  I always shoot RAW+Fine JPG.  That way I have the JPG's immediately for web viewing, slide shows etc.

I hope that this makes sense.

Bob P.

Thanks for replying Petruska.

I followed your instructions but when I go to the print page and click on Use Color management Nikon sRGB is grayed out. Plus everything along

the top of this page is grayed out...Printer, Paper and Printable area.

-- hide signature --

Any suggestions?

www.derekvallintine.com

comoxbrit wrote:

Thanks for replying Petruska.

I followed your instructions but when I go to the print page and click on Use Color management Nikon sRGB is grayed out. Plus everything along

the top of this page is grayed out...Printer, Paper and Printable area.

-- hide signature --

Any suggestions?

www.derekvallintine.com

Yes, this is correct.

The Nikon sRGB is greyed out as that is just the Color Space that is assigned to the photo right now as you are not going to be changing that.

Now from you screenshot it looks like you can choose the appropriate Printer Profile from the list, the intent, and BPC, is this correct? If yes, everything is correct.

Now when you click on the PRINT button, it should take you to another printer box window as I showed in my other post, here is where you select the Printer Model and Preferences and then click on the Print Button in that window to make the print. Now as I stated this is for a Win OS system, so I'm not sure what you get when you click on the print Button in the NX2 print window for a MAC OS. Let me know what you get?

Bob P.

This is  what I get...notice how the colour has gone haywire?

-- hide signature --

www.derekvallintine.com

comoxbrit wrote:

This is what I get...notice how the colour has gone haywire?

-- hide signature --

www.derekvallintine.com

OK, this looks like a screesnhot capture of the print preview, is it?

If so, what does the actual print look like?

Again, I'm sorry that I don't have a MAC, this looks like your print screen, but I don't see where you can change the printer preferences.

1. In your printer driver did your change the Mode seelection to "OFF(No Color Management)?

2.  How is your printer nozzle check pattern?  Any skips?

3.  Are you using Epson OEM ink, or 3rd party?

Bob P.

Petruska wrote:

comoxbrit wrote:

This is what I get...notice how the colour has gone haywire?

-- hide signature --

www.derekvallintine.com

OK, this looks like a screesnhot capture of the print preview, is it?

If so, what does the actual print look like?

Again, I'm sorry that I don't have a MAC, this looks like your print screen, but I don't see where you can change the printer preferences.

1. In your printer driver did your change the Mode seelection to "OFF(No Color Management)?   This does not show up

TT2. How is your printer nozzle check pattern? Any skips?   No I checked it.

3. Are you using Epson OEM ink, or 3rd party?     Epsom

Bob P.

I have a few books on NX2 so I will read them and try and solve the problem. Thanks very much for your great help.

-- hide signature --

www.derekvallintine.com

mokeiko Junior Member • Posts: 43

Comoxbrit, please have a look at the photos above and follow the instructions below. I hope my write up won't confuse you. I am using a MAC with an Epson 3880 and NX2 Software. I also use Lightroom and PS with the same results albeit the print dialog differs slightly but as long as you use the same icc profiles as suggested by Joe and Bob, your should be okay.

1. In the print layout, click the Color Management tab.

2. Click on the Use Source Profile.

3. Click the page Setup, Format For: Choose your printer, Paper Size: Choose your paper size (I created a paper size and gave it a name, this is optional). Make sure you choose the orientation. Click OK when done.

4. Click the print button. Notice the preview now looks the same as the print layout from the previous screen.

5. Click the show details button.

6. For Printer, choose your printer (this may be already setup)

7. Presets, choose your preset if any. If not set at default.

8. Click the Layout button and choose color matching, make sure colorsync is chosen, for profile (it will say automatic) choose your icc profile paper (I created a custom one)

9. Click the Color Matching button and then choose Printer settings.

10. Choose you media type paper, for color mode choose off (no color management.

11. Click print.

Good luck.

mokeiko

Comoxbrit,

Regarding number 3.

"3. Click the page Setup, Format For: Choose your printer, Paper Size: Choose your paper size (I created a paper size and gave it a name, this is optional). Make sure you choose the orientation. Click OK when done."

I created a custom paper size in order to keep the print borders consistent with the layout with my other apps (PS and Lightroom).

mokeiko

Here is the prints, one from PS and the other from NX2. Please excuse the iPhone photo and bad lighting. But as you can see the photos are consistent in print. Sorry about the rotation, it came that way while uploading the photo.

mokeiko

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads