Adding a Function To a Button:D800

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions
Paul Spatafora Contributing Member • Posts: 939
Adding a Function To a Button:D800

Is there anyway to program a function button on the D800 to switch from FX to DX and back again? I'd like to program one the buttons to do this, but so far the only method I can find is to go through the menu system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Epic Light Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: Adding a Function To a Button:D800

Paul Spatafora wrote:

Is there anyway to program a function button on the D800 to switch from FX to DX and back again? I'd like to program one the buttons to do this, but so far the only method I can find is to go through the menu system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Yes you can.  custom settings under controls.  It's the purple section I think.

-- hide signature --

d800e, 16-35vr, 24 pce, 28g, 50/1.4d, 85/1.4g, zeiss 21
gitzo 5531s, RRS bh55,
sb910, 3 sb900s, 3 sb800s, 6 vintage vivitar 285hv, 3 PW flexttl, PW minittl, PW AC3
nikon j1, 18.5/1.8
sony RX100
"always just one light modifier away from greatness"

OP Paul Spatafora Contributing Member • Posts: 939
Re: Adding a Function To a Button:D800

Epic Light wrote:

Paul Spatafora wrote:

Is there anyway to program a function button on the D800 to switch from FX to DX and back again? I'd like to program one the buttons to do this, but so far the only method I can find is to go through the menu system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Yes you can. custom settings under controls. It's the purple section I think.

-- hide signature --

d800e, 16-35vr, 24 pce, 28g, 50/1.4d, 85/1.4g, zeiss 21
gitzo 5531s, RRS bh55,
sb910, 3 sb900s, 3 sb800s, 6 vintage vivitar 285hv, 3 PW flexttl, PW minittl, PW AC3
nikon j1, 18.5/1.8
sony RX100
"always just one light modifier away from greatness"

YES!!!! I found it! Now only if it the unwanted area could ne shaded out!

Thanks again.

Paul

frank-in-toronto Senior Member • Posts: 1,034
Re: Adding a Function To a Button:D800

Paul Spatafora wrote:

Epic Light wrote:

Paul Spatafora wrote:

Is there anyway to program a function button on the D800 to switch from FX to DX and back again? I'd like to program one the buttons to do this, but so far the only method I can find is to go through the menu system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Yes you can. custom settings under controls. It's the purple section I think.

YES!!!! I found it! Now only if it the unwanted area could ne shaded out!

Thanks again.

Paul

it's a weird way to do it but very possible.  you could do a search for "nikon dx mode greyd" and find a bunch of links.  on my d600, setting a4 AF point illumination" to "OFF" makes the outside part grey when in DX mode.

OP Paul Spatafora Contributing Member • Posts: 939
Re: Adding a Function To a Button:D800

Thanks for everything! I found out how to implement the masking feature! It greatly enhances the cameras capabilities!

Thanks again.

Paul

Nigel45 Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: Adding a Function To a Button:D800

Paul Spatafora wrote:

Thanks for everything! I found out how to implement the masking feature! It greatly enhances the cameras capabilities!

Thanks again.

Paul

ok, spill.

 Nigel45's gear list:Nigel45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D70 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Nigel45 Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: Adding a Function To a Button:D800

Found it - but don't know why one is dependent on the other????

 Nigel45's gear list:Nigel45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D70 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
OldDigiman Senior Member • Posts: 1,960
Re: Adding a Function To a Button:D800

Nigel45 wrote:

Found it - but don't know why one is dependent on the other????

Nigel, will you explain?  Thx.

-- hide signature --

___________________
ODM
www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
www.olmstedactupuncture.com

OldDigiman Senior Member • Posts: 1,960
Re: Adding a Function To a Button:D800

OldDigiman wrote:

Nigel45 wrote:

Found it - but don't know why one is dependent on the other????

Nigel, will you explain? Thx.

-- hide signature --

___________________
ODM
www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
www.olmstedactupuncture.com

Never mind, got it.  Set Crop mode in shooting menu, set AF illuminatiion off in settings menu.  It's a real shame the files get cropped in the captures, it would be nice to have the option to set a VF crop (eg, 4x5) and still capture the whole sensor to RAW, so you could fix slight mis-framings.  As in the Sony RX100 which will shoot in 4:3 mode but will capture the entire 2:3 sensor area in raw. Since I end to crop to 4:3 when I print, I am thinking of pysically masking the ground glass in the D800.  (Back in film day, I scribed 8x10 crop lines on my F3 ground glass -- a lot easier to do since it was designed to be interchangeable.)

-- hide signature --

___________________
ODM
www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
www.olmstedactupuncture.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads