NEX 5R macros with vintage primes + Raynox DCR 150

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions
Caledonia84
Caledonia84 Regular Member • Posts: 344
NEX 5R macros with vintage primes + Raynox DCR 150

First day out with these lenses and the light was nothing short of horrific the shots are not as sharp as I thought they would be but maybe that's down to the light? Adding the raynox is an excellent way to get closer to the subject and think it would work really well with longer primes. Was definitely more of a challenge to work on fully manual but much more fun, anyone else have different set ups with vintage lenses?

Mamiya Sekor 55mm + NEX 5R + Raynox DCR 150

Helios 44M 58mm 55mm + NEX 5R + Raynox DCR 150

Helios 44M 58mm + NEX 5R + Raynox DCR 150

5R + Helios 44M 58mm + Raynox DCR 150

5R + Helios 44M 58mm

Caledonia84's gear list:Caledonia84's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +42 more
mkandil Contributing Member • Posts: 578
Re: NEX 5R macros with vintage primes + Raynox DCR 150

the DOF is too shallow,i think shooting with lower aperture values(f4,f5.6...) will give better result in terms of sharppness and focus, but i understand the low light situation u mentioned,

all the best

mkandil's gear list:mkandil's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +1 more
weavster Contributing Member • Posts: 913

mkandil wrote:

the DOF is too shallow,i think shooting with lower aperture values(f4,f5.6...) will give better result in terms of sharppness and focus, but i understand the low light situation u mentioned,

all the best

i agree for bugs and such that greater DoF is in order but I think in this instance the very shallow plane of focus makes for interesting images. I especially liked the thorn shot!

I also have a raynox and enjoy bunging it onto every lens I own by way of experimentation.

I've even put it on the e35!

weavster's gear list:weavster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3
Caledonia84
OP Caledonia84 Regular Member • Posts: 344

mkandil wrote:

all the best

Thanks! yes I agree, think I got carried away with the faster apertures, not something I've had the privilege of before :). I did like the playing around with the shallow dof though. Will try this again in better light.

Fujifilm FinePix S100fs NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +42 more
Caledonia84

i agree for bugs and such that greater DoF is in order but I think in this instance the very shallow plane of focus makes for interesting images. I especially liked the thorn shot!

I also have a raynox and enjoy bunging it onto every lens I own by way of experimentation.

I've even put it on the e35!

Many thanks, the Raynox is a great piece of kit, so easy to just clip on and off without the hassle of changing lenses, I'd be lost without it. Was a bit disheartened when I found out it wouldn't clip on to the 49mm thread of the sony kit lens Discovered though that if I use the lens hood on backwords, it clips to that just fine :). Incidently I got much better results with my s100fs and the Raynox all be it in better light

weavster Contributing Member • Posts: 913

that is way cool ! those little head lamp eyes are gorgeous!

I have a very cheap 49-52mm step-up adapter for just this purpose, only costs £2

this is the e35 + raynox @ wide aperture = fun !!!

they were criticised for looking unnatural but I think that misses the point!

weavster's gear list:weavster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3
Caledonia84

I had no idea such a thing existed! im off to ebay just now

Those shots are great, I agree they are unnatural but as you say that is the point! they would only be natural to a person who was 1 inch tall. It reminds me of the honey I shrunk the kids movies, cracking stuff

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads