Olympus MySets, do you use them?

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions
Mingjai
Mingjai Senior Member • Posts: 1,402
Re: Olympus MySets, do you use them?

Here's how I use(d) My Sets on my E-M5 (E-PL2):

Set 1: Standard shooting--I always have to keep resaving this as my shooting preferences evolve

Set 2: Monochrome shooting--with custom tone curve and color blend/sharpness settings

Set 3: Video optimized--16:9 gridline visible, record button records video, etc.

(Set 4: Standard with alternative AE/AF behavior--used on my E-PL2 only; E-M5 has enough buttons so I don't need this set)

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Guy Parsons
OP Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 30,596
Re: MySets help page and some thoughts.

Not received the E-PL5 body as yet, ordered it with a bunch of other bits and pieces and waiting on it all to be gathered together before pickup.

Will add appropriate web page when I get my hands on it and get working on setting up the MySets on the dial.

For me at last, Olympus will be as convenient to use as my Panasonic LX3.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +2 more
Vlad S Veteran Member • Posts: 3,751
Yes, all four

1. My own default setting. Used a lot.

2. Bracketing+burst. Used a lot.

3. Keyline filter to simulate color peaking. Assigned to a button. Used a little.

4. Black and White mode. Used less than average.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
vincent filomena
vincent filomena Veteran Member • Posts: 5,106
All the time...

I be OLD also, and can only remember 2 My sets at a time: With the EPL5 Myset 1 is on the Manual Mode dial , Myset 2 is on the Scene Mode dial, and I always leave the Camera set on I-Auto for any quick shots....

Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
sin77 Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: All the time...

I set Myset 2 to the red movie record button and set digital teleconverter to Fn button.

When I press and hold Myset 2 (movie button), the customised digital teleconverter at the Fn button is disabled.

How stupid!

Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,321
Except I don't want MySet on the mode dial...

Guy Parsons wrote:

And that's where the E-PL5 is great, assign MySets to the Mode dial, to unused spots or to the PASM spots, whatever you like. Then at turn on your settings are there, or twist the dial away and back and they are there. No menu diving = lovely.

Not!  You heard me right...I DON'T want MySet on a dial (unless it's protected by a lock), I WANT it in a menu!

I first choose the MySet preset I want that's closest to what I'm shooting, then make other changes in the menu.  If I had it on a dial it can be bumped during the shoot, and while I can get back to the MySet I want I would have lost the changes I made since previously selecting the MySet.  MySet needs to remain a multi-step process to change it, I wouldn't mind it on the SCP.

It's like the seat controls on a car...I don't want them where they can be bumped while I'm driving.  My older film camera required pulling up the ISO dial to change it, which I liked. My newer one you just turned the dial, and I don't know how many times the ISO got bumped and ruined shots.

Guy Parsons
I do, I do !

Mike_PEAT wrote:

Not! You heard me right...I DON'T want MySet on a dial (unless it's protected by a lock), I WANT it in a menu!

I first choose the MySet preset I want that's closest to what I'm shooting, then make other changes in the menu. If I had it on a dial it can be bumped during the shoot, and while I can get back to the MySet I want I would have lost the changes I made since previously selecting the MySet. MySet needs to remain a multi-step process to change it, I wouldn't mind it on the SCP.

It's like the seat controls on a car...I don't want them where they can be bumped while I'm driving. My older film camera required pulling up the ISO dial to change it, which I liked. My newer one you just turned the dial, and I don't know how many times the ISO got bumped and ruined shots.

Hopefully the E-PL5 mode dial will be like the E-PL1, quite firm detent operation in action and never ever have bumped it accidentally. To get it to move it's always a grip with two fingers and not a thumb push action.

If the E-PL5 dial proves to be a problem then I'll drop it back to menu operation, but that is not convenient for me - I just like it to turn on with my hopefully good default settings already there (ideal for grab shots when something unexpected happens).

If experimenting with changes then either decide to re-write the MySet or let it disappear when turned off. I loved using that method with the C1/2 dial spots on my Pana LX3.

So it will be peace at last for me when my E-PL5 arrives. To me that MySet mode dial trick is the most important feature, rises even above expectations of how much better the sensor might be. If the E-M5 had that feature then I might have considered it.

Regards....... Guy

Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Re: Olympus MySets, do you use them? They are like NY resolutions ...

… I keep promising myself I will use them but never get round to it. I even set one or two once but by the time I thought to use them, I had forgotten what they were!

now here you are saying it will all be different with /this/ new camera.

yeah, right, and you'll lose 5 kg by walking out to the middle of Sydney Harbour Bridge every morning and standing on your head for 10 minutes!

(you would lose the weight fighting off the security guards, then ending up in jail with no breakfast, of course.)

So yeah, anything you say, Guy! LOL

PS: Have fun with the E-PL5 when you get your mitts on it.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,010

Guy Parsons wrote:

Consider this to be a roundup on how people may use their Olympus MySets.

♦ Do you use the MySets at all? Many like me never do as too awkward on E-PL1.

♦ What MySets do you use, a brief rundown, no need for fine details.

♦ Are they used often or little?

This is a self seeking exercise to see how people may use their MySets to inspire me what to do when my E-PL5 arrives. The E-PL5 of course can have MySets assigned to the Mode dial so suddenly MySets make sense to use, just like I always use the C1/C2 setup on my Panasonic LX3.

Thanks in advance for any contributions.

Regards.... Guy

Great thread I learned a lot.

kaphinga
kaphinga Senior Member • Posts: 2,007

Guy Parsons wrote:

I am a big fan of the MySets.  My current settings are:

* Everyday (Things That Hold Still):  basically, Aperture priority with focus peaking, AE lock set to spot meter and lock exposure.  Used Frequently.

* Spray and Pray (totally unplanned shots): Program mode, auto ISO with a high maximum, face detection, burst mode.  This MySet is assigned to the iA dial so that I can flip to it quickly.

* Street/B&W: Aperture Priority,  monochrome (even though I am shooting RAW+JPEG, the monochrome helps me to pre-visualize the shot), and zone focusing.

* HDR and/or Bracketing.  I change the function from time to time, and I don't use it often.

I would probably use more than four MySets if Olympus offered a way to name them and a way to back them up to a card.

kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Apple iPhone 7 Plus Olympus OM-D E-M10 +16 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,010

kaphinga wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

I am a big fan of the MySets. My current settings are:

* Everyday (Things That Hold Still): basically, Aperture priority with focus peaking, AE lock set to spot meter and lock exposure. Used Frequently.

* Spray and Pray (totally unplanned shots): Program mode, auto ISO with a high maximum, face detection, burst mode. This MySet is assigned to the iA dial so that I can flip to it quickly.

* Street/B&W: Aperture Priority, monochrome (even though I am shooting RAW+JPEG, the monochrome helps me to pre-visualize the shot), and zone focusing.

* HDR and/or Bracketing. I change the function from time to time, and I don't use it often.

I would probably use more than four MySets if Olympus offered a way to name them and a way to back them up to a card.

Yes, especially on the PEN  series with no mode dial and a touch screen. Olympus should dedicate a cell in the SCP for named MySets. Select the cell  and then scroll through the my sets to select the one wanted using the touch screen or controls. Once selected it stays on until you deselect it or select one of the other modes PSAM or iAuto etc. This would make the PEN very powerful. Right now on the PEN line up you have to hold another button down while shooting to access the MySet temporarily. On models with a mode dial this would allow another way to access  MySets without assigning the MySets to the mode dial thus keeping their default settings.

JohmmycbTx Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: MySets help page and some thoughts.

I have considered doing the same except I have considered the following until Oly lets us name the MySets....same issue with Fuji

P = Portriats

A = Action

S = Scenics

M = Manual

Then set MySet 1 = HDR

Hmmmmm......

Joseph T Lewis III Veteran Member • Posts: 3,468

Good thread Guy, thanks for starting it.

I currently use three Mysets on my E-M1, albeit in a rather simplistic fashion. All are assigned to mode dial positions. Two are just locking in my preferred defaults for the mode that appears on the dial; the exception is Myset 3, where I have overridden the unused iAuto function with the parameters I use for tripod shooting. They are as follows:

-Myset 1: "A" position on the mode dial, aperture priority mode, with 200, S-AF, no exposure compensation, small autofocus box (centered), minimum flash speed 1/60th, flash compensation .7 +, S-IS 1, RAW, 4/3 ration, Face and eye detection turned on (this may or may not remain, but that's the way it is for now). Pretty much just the standard stuff, to make sure I haven't inadvertently carried over any weird setting from the previous day's shooting.

-Myset 2: "S" position on the mode dial, shutter priority mode, rest of settings the same as Myset 1.

-Myset 3: "iAuto" position on the mode dial, but Aperture mode function. This is my tripod shooting Myset. Same other settings as the first two, but S-IS turned OFF, and two second shutter delay is enabled.

I didn't attempt to show every single parameter for each Myset. Instead, I just wanted to get the concept across, as well as the key parameters that are different from one Myset to the other.

By the way, after reading all the posts on this thread, I may well tweak the above, or make more radical changes.  That's the beauty of Mysets...once you get the basic concepts and principles down, it is very easy to change them.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +5 more
wine540 Regular Member • Posts: 423

This is a learning experience.

The Mysets are very useful if you take the time to learn how to use them.

I have my camera set up to set the mysets with buttons and the Mode Dial. Prety similar setup for EM1 and M10:

FN1 = Myset 1: jpeg fine, ISO 200, SF etc for casual shooting

iAuto = Myset 2: RAW, ISO 200, SF etc for "serious stuff"

Art= Myset 3: HDR 3 exposure

FN2= Myset 4: Birding: Aperture Priority, C-AF, 8 frames/sec, ISO 800 etc, IBIS off (usually in bright light)

On the Mode Dial I never use iAuto or Art, so no loss, but very convenient

Still playing around with it. Not intuitive or very easy. Not for the faint of heart or weak of mind!

-- hide signature --

Dan W

wine540's gear list:wine540's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
bs1946
bs1946 Senior Member • Posts: 5,856

I use all four MySets in my E-M10.

1. Program Mode MySet assigned to P on the mode dial.

2. Aperture Priority Mode MySet assigned to A on the mode dial.

3. Shutter Priority Mode MySet assigned to S on the mode dial.

4. Monochrome / Aperture Priority MySet assigned to Photo Story on the mode dial.

The first three MySets provide my preferred setup for the E-M10 when I'm using that mode. If I make temporary changes to the setup, I can quickly recover to my preferred settings by moving the mode button to another selection and then back again.

MySet 4 has my preferred settings for Monochrome. I shoot in RAW + Large JPEG, so MySet 4 allows me to see what my image will look like in B&W. I can either record the B&W JPEG or quickly return to another MySet.

I also leave the Scene Mode set to Sports. I used to have a CAF MySet for moving subjects but discovered that it was the same as the Sports setting in the Scene Mode.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” Henri Cartier-Bresson

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Apple iPhone 7 Plus Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F
Guy Parsons
Old thread still useful it seems.

Learned a lot since this 2 year old thread was started. My help pages at http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/52-epl5-mymodes.html are still relevant for E-PL5 and every body after it.

My 2 x E-PL5 still have the PASM spots assigned to AAAM MySets for various purposes, but the arrival of the E-P5 with the IBIS that I can leave on all the time changed what I do, plus the fact it has an extra dial spot to assign to.

So, on E-P5 I now have left the PASM as they are and use the iAuto/Art/Scene/Story spots for my 4 MySets, currently My1 being A mode at 200 ISO, My2 being A mode at auto ISO limit 1600 (or 800 not fully decided there), My3 being A mode auto ISO limit 6400, and My4 being P mode auto ISO limit 25,600 for when the sun (and moon) just are not there. The dial suitably  (quickly) labelled as a reminder....

The E-P5 has gone for warranty repair of the dead front rear dials so that labelling and the MySets will be lost. Already working on a nicer new dial top to stick over the current one.

Regards...... Guy

Martin Ocando
MOD Martin Ocando Veteran Member • Posts: 6,054
Re: Old thread still useful it seems.

Guy Parsons wrote:

Learned a lot since this 2 year old thread was started. My help pages at http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/52-epl5-mymodes.html are still relevant for E-PL5 and every body after it.

My 2 x E-PL5 still have the PASM spots assigned to AAAM MySets for various purposes, but the arrival of the E-P5 with the IBIS that I can leave on all the time changed what I do, plus the fact it has an extra dial spot to assign to.

So, on E-P5 I now have left the PASM as they are and use the iAuto/Art/Scene/Story spots for my 4 MySets, currently My1 being A mode at 200 ISO, My2 being A mode at auto ISO limit 1600 (or 800 not fully decided there), My3 being A mode auto ISO limit 6400, and My4 being P mode auto ISO limit 25,600 for when the sun (and moon) just are not there. The dial suitably (quickly) labelled as a reminder....

The E-P5 has gone for warranty repair of the dead front rear dials so that labelling and the MySets will be lost. Already working on a nicer new dial top to stick over the current one.

Regards...... Guy

Very interesting idea. I might try and design my own dial label decal.

-- hide signature --
 Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +10 more
Guy Parsons
Mode dials

Martin Ocando wrote:

Very interesting idea. [revised mode dial top... Guy] I might try and design my own dial label decal.

That one shown is a rough trial using the smallest font on a Brother label maker. Next effort I will use a screen grab of the Mode dial from the PDF manual (page 15 of the E-P5 manual) displayed at  400% to get this.....

Then get to work with PaintShop Pro to suitably relabel it, print it at the correct size, and stick it to the dial top with something suitable like Jac Paper or double sided thin sticky tape, plus top it with clear stick-on plastic like used on kid's schoolbooks to stop it wearing. That of course will take a few experiments to get it right and make it durable.

To me though, I can't quite see why we still need mechanical Mode Dials, surely that dial could be displayed more sensibly on the LCD and touch used to select a mode (or to select a named MySet?).

Regards.... Guy

honeyiscool
honeyiscool Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

I dabbled with them, but they never really became part of my shooting. I do use one MySet, usually, and it's that I change the iAuto setting to a simple P mode with +.3 compensation, so no matter what I was doing, I can just hand the camera over to another person and put it in that mode and have them take pictures for a while. I never personally use them.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Guy Parsons
MySets = camera goodness.

honeyiscool wrote:

I dabbled with them, but they never really became part of my shooting. I do use one MySet, usually, and it's that I change the iAuto setting to a simple P mode with +.3 compensation, so no matter what I was doing, I can just hand the camera over to another person and put it in that mode and have them take pictures for a while. I never personally use them.

In E-PL1 days I never used the 2 only "custom resets" as they were really painful to use.

But when the E-PL5 came along with 4 MySets on the Mode dial possible then it made a lot more sense.

Most used settings easily available and easy to switch to and a nice reset to the MySet at each turn on or twist of the dial. That got rid of the mistakes caused by last night's experiments forgotten strange settings causing grief the next day in the daylight.

I really liked the C1 & C2-1/2/3 customisable dial positions on my Panasonic LX3 so was rather happy when an even better scheme came along with the E-PL5.

Regards.... Guy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads