Olympus MySets, do you use them?

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions
billbourd Contributing Member • Posts: 573
Re: Olympus MySets, do you use them?

I use F1 for HDR and F2 for digital tele-converter.

billbourd's gear list:billbourd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
SkiHound Senior Member • Posts: 2,941

Yes:

Myset1: My standard set up. As others have said, I typically choose this when I start the camera.

Myset2: Essentially the same as Myset 1 with AE bracketing.

Myset3: Set up for RC flash.

Myset4: I change depending on special needs. I start with Myset 1 and work from there. I don't use this much. Most often set up for tripod work.

I really wish there was an external control to directly choose a Myset. That would make them much more useful. Overall I really like the E-M5 but this is one thing I'd like to see changed. I'd also really like direct access to AE bracketing. This could be via any of the function buttons or the movie button. But it would be great to go from standard shooting mode to AE bracketing.

Guy Parsons
OP Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 27,966
MySets help page and some thoughts.

Bob Tullis wrote: I think (though I'm not Andrew) it was Guy Parson's link uptopic that had me finally give MySets a go.

Yep, my page at http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/25-epl1-custom.html is a good start, needs more work and will expand and improve when I get my E-PL5.

Derek Hogan (DekHog in forums) supplied the stuff to get me started. Derek used the E-PL2 for this, the later cameras all seem the same.

Anyway, thanks so far for all the posts, helps clear my brain a bit.

Usually I like the camera to behave predictably when I turn it on so I was thinking of using the 4 E-PL5 MySets in the form of 4 separate PASM settings and assign them to the four PASM dial spots.

From then on just SCP dive or menu dive for the rare times I need something other than my sensible(?) PASM settings.

P will be set for emergency low light situations.

A set for everyday sunlight travel/street scene shots, most used by me.

S for some shutter speed most likely to capture the occasional action shots.

M set up for flash use, which is what I do now with flash on my E-PL1.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
efg40
efg40 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,193

Never!

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

efg40's gear list:efg40's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
richarddd
richarddd Senior Member • Posts: 2,982

I have a  myset for my standard setup. I haven't used it.  It's there in case I've changed a lot of settings and need to quickly return to standard.

At some point I intend to put together a bracketing myset.

I thought about a tripod myset, but it seems simpler to just make turn off IS.  I haven't experimented enough to decide if I should lengthen the anti-shock from my default 1/8 second. I usually carry a cable release, otherwise it's easy enough to set the self timer.

It would be great if we could have labeled mysets that we could set through the SCP or the mode dial (instead of art and scn)

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Guy Parsons
About never.....

efg40 wrote: Never!

Ditto never with my current two E-PL1 bodies. I did have the bright idea of storing my most used daylight settings in Reset1 or whatever the E-PL1 calls them with the idea that if I get lost in SCP and menus I restore with Reset1.

But that logic fell apart when my B body went for warranty repair and they changed the mainboard and all the settings went away. Sigh !

The real deal would be able to store the MySets to card/PC and restore them later.

Regards...... Guy

Olympus PEN E-P5
billbourd Contributing Member • Posts: 573
Re: MySets web page.

Now that is a great job you did.

billbourd's gear list:billbourd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Olyroo
Olyroo Regular Member • Posts: 333

I only have two setup at the moment but will probably look to setting up more in the future. I find them very easy to use. My main reason for starting to use them was someone on this forum gave me a great setup for taking action shots whereby the auto focus is moved to the record button and the shutter then controls only exposure. That means I can focus once and it is then locked until I press the record button again. Helped me heaps with fast action water skiing shots.

Olyroo's gear list:Olyroo's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
ernieF Senior Member • Posts: 1,591

No, not at all.  Besides being an old dog, I'm also a Luddite and would actually like to remove many other "features" from my two E-M5s-- I'd start with everything video, touch screen stuff, and go from there.

The E-M5 is an excellent camera and I sold my whole Pentax K5 x2 and 18 lenses to purchase them after using an OM-D for 2 weeks-- though it took some time to get them set up to operate in a pretty basic mode--  like the old OM series.  This is assuming most "stuff" is shut off, and erspecially the touch screen.  My thanks to some forum members here re set-up and understanding menus etc.

I especially like the small high quality lenses possible w/ the m43 format.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Ernie

ernieF's gear list:ernieF's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +5 more
dcassat
dcassat Senior Member • Posts: 1,220
Oh, and Bracketing!

I didn't see anything about this in the list of respondents, apologies if this is a repeat answer but I use MYSETs for bracketing, assigned to Fn1.

I have my landscape MYSET, then I have the same settings with a 5 shot bracket on high speed continuous assigned to another MYSET which is assigned to fn1.

I set my camera to aperture mode, hold down fn1, adjust exposure and fstop and then hold down the shutter... voila!  I then use the five shots to create blended exposures with Enfuse, a Lightroom plugin.

It works and works well.  Many have complained about MYSET and lack of bracketing features.

I just use my camera to take pictures  (although it required a little thought and setup first :))

-- hide signature --

Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +8 more
nzpaul Junior Member • Posts: 36

If Olympus ever do respond to their market (us!) and make MySets easier to select and able to be named, while they are at it could they please add a few more of them?

At the moment the four available is probably enough (like others here I would struggle to recall what i've set where without my own names to prompt me). But if I can give them word names that mean something to me I would use them extensively.

Also the firmware as it works at present is stupidly easy to confuse the action of selecting/engaging a MySet with that of updating/replacing a MySet (and therefore wiping the one you had!).  The word Set appears everywhere and the button pushes are counter-intuitive.  Because of this I've had to assign both MySet 1 and Myset 4 with my standard settings... I can't tell you how many times I have inadvertantly over written the MySet 1 location by mistake and have had to use my MySet 4 to recover it.

Given that they call the function MySet, they should use a word like Select or Engage or Load when you want to call up a previously prepared MySet and something like Update when you are initially loading or modifying a MySet.

Paul

www.paul-hermans.com

nzpaul's gear list:nzpaul's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
f8_accpmpli Senior Member • Posts: 1,374
Re: About never..... I was in that camp too

...with my E-PL1.  It was simply too awkward to be useful to me, so I relied on the SCP.

I continued this habit when I got my E-PL5 a month ago; but then Guy Parsons tipped me (actually all of us) off to the fact that the E-PL5 allows the assignment of MySets to positions on the Mode dial.  After a brief discussion with Guy to help me understand exactly what this meant <<thanks so much again Guy>> I now am in the process of totally revamping my shooting work-flow around MiSets.

I'm building a MySet Map spread sheet which I will share when I get it populated.

-- hide signature --

Never put off until tomorrow. . .
that which you can avoid doing altogether.

f8_accpmpli's gear list:f8_accpmpli's gear list
Canon PowerShot A530 Canon PowerShot A590 IS Minolta DiMAGE A1 Olympus C-3020 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +22 more
efg40
efg40 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,193
Re: About never.....

Guy Parsons wrote:

efg40 wrote: Never!

Ditto never with my current two E-PL1 bodies. I did have the bright idea of storing my most used daylight settings in Reset1 or whatever the E-PL1 calls them with the idea that if I get lost in SCP and menus I restore with Reset1.

But that logic fell apart when my B body went for warranty repair and they changed the mainboard and all the settings went away. Sigh !

The real deal would be able to store the MySets to card/PC and restore them later.

Regards...... Guy

Well it sounds like you made a valiant effort!

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

efg40's gear list:efg40's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 12,915
E-M5, use them all the time!

I have my default shooting setups in each of the MySets.  Before I do a shoot I select the appropriate MySet and it configures the camera up for that type of shooting, landscapes, still life, night, or studio.

Some people have complained that accessing the MySet in te menu is difficult, but it's a LOT easier tan changing all the menu settings including shuuter speed and aperture for the type of shooting I'm doing.

For my camera it's Menu, right, down, right, down to the MySet I want, ok, up, ok, menu...that takes less than three seconds.  Maybe it's because I do it every time I do a new shoot because I want to set the camera to a specific state that I've memorized where things are...I don't want a shot ruined because I changed some obscure setting I forgot about.

richarddd
richarddd Senior Member • Posts: 2,982
Re: Oh, and Bracketing!

dcassat wrote:

I didn't see anything about this in the list of respondents, apologies if this is a repeat answer but I use MYSETs for bracketing, assigned to Fn1.

I have my landscape MYSET, then I have the same settings with a 5 shot bracket on high speed continuous assigned to another MYSET which is assigned to fn1.

I set my camera to aperture mode, hold down fn1, adjust exposure and fstop and then hold down the shutter... voila! I then use the five shots to create blended exposures with Enfuse, a Lightroom plugin.

It works and works well. Many have complained about MYSET and lack of bracketing features.

I just use my camera to take pictures (although it required a little thought and setup first :))

Don't you have to continue to hold down the button throughout the process? Keeping the button depressed while making adjustments and especially while pressing the shutter does not seem ideal, especially for those shooting on a tripod who don't want to touch the camera while it's capturing images.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
stabilo Regular Member • Posts: 155

Bob Tullis wrote:

Yes, whenever I turn on the camera, or when the scene changes enough. On the OM-D:

Myset 1 - good daylight, ISO 200, no shutter delay, no IBIS, RAW

Myset 2 - same as above, 1/8 shutter delay, IBIS enabled, RAW

That's actually a good idea, I think I will steal your setup. And then just add another MySet for bracketing.

dcassat
dcassat Senior Member • Posts: 1,220
Yes but...

you're right, you have to hold down the shutter button or the remote release button if you have one.  The thing is that it stops automagically when the five exposures are done.  I have a remote shutter release but don't find it necessary most of the time.

While I have suspected that contact with the camera while exposing is not ideal I am conscious of the down side and apply even pressure for the .75 seconds of exposure time. 

I have not noted an adverse effect on my images but then I'm capturing a scene, usually into the light that suffers greatly using other methods attempted.

-- hide signature --

Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +8 more
Guy Parsons
Re: E-M5, use them all the time!

Mike_PEAT wrote:

I have my default shooting setups in each of the MySets. Before I do a shoot I select the appropriate MySet and it configures the camera up for that type of shooting, landscapes, still life, night, or studio.

Some people have complained that accessing the MySet in te menu is difficult, but it's a LOT easier tan changing all the menu settings including shuuter speed and aperture for the type of shooting I'm doing.

For my camera it's Menu, right, down, right, down to the MySet I want, ok, up, ok, menu...that takes less than three seconds. Maybe it's because I do it every time I do a new shoot because I want to set the camera to a specific state that I've memorized where things are...I don't want a shot ruined because I changed some obscure setting I forgot about.

And that's where the E-PL5 is great, assign MySets to the Mode dial, to unused spots or to the PASM spots, whatever you like. Then at turn on your settings are there, or twist the dial away and back and they are there. No menu diving = lovely.

They really should update the E-M5 firmware to E-PL5 standard. Might happen at 1 year into a 2 year product cycle, just like Panasonic do to LX3/LX5 etc where at the one year point they add more significant features in the firmware.

Regards...... Guy

Olympus PEN E-P5
EnriccoPallazzo Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: MySets help page and some thoughts.

Guy Parsons wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote: I think (though I'm not Andrew) it was Guy Parson's link uptopic that had me finally give MySets a go.

Yep, my page at http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/25-epl1-custom.html is a good start, needs more work and will expand and improve when I get my E-PL5.

Derek Hogan (DekHog in forums) supplied the stuff to get me started. Derek used the E-PL2 for this, the later cameras all seem the same.

Usually I like the camera to behave predictably when I turn it on so I was thinking of using the 4 E-PL5 MySets in the form of 4 separate PASM settings and assign them to the four PASM dial spots.

From then on just SCP dive or menu dive for the rare times I need something other than my sensible(?) PASM settings.

Regards..... Guy

This looks like a reasonable guideline. I just received my e-pl5 (first m3/4 coming from low level DSLR's) and have no idea what im doing so far. Do you have this setup yet? I'm interested in your specific settings. May be a good starting point for me.

EnriccoPallazzo Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: MySets help page and some thoughts.

EnriccoPallazzo wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Yep, my page at http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/25-epl1-custom.html is a good start, needs more work and will expand and improve when I get my E-PL5.

Regards..... Guy

This looks like a reasonable guideline. I just received my e-pl5 (first m3/4 coming from low level DSLR's) and have no idea what im doing so far. Do you have this setup yet? I'm interested in your specific settings. May be a good starting point for me.

I thought this was an older post...thx

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads