NX300 Official - See the News!

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions
wictred Senior Member • Posts: 1,195
Re: "I do not need an EVF" :-)

tombell1 wrote:

So at my price point it is with Sony Nex6 ..... poor primes

It's interesting that this is mentioned again and again, just because the 16mm pancake is not really that good and there were not many other e-mount primes available 1 year ago.

There are decent prime lenses now: the 35mm F1.8 and 50mm F1.8 ... the 19mm and 30mm Sigma lenses ... even the 30mm Macro has it's uses.

Sure, Samsung has the superb 60mm Macro and the 85mm portrait lenses. Sony has the 24mm CZ lens (35mm eq) instead and there will probably be a new 85mm F1.8 lens this year.

Regarding lenses both systems have their gems and I'd say they're on the same level now ...  it depends on what you need.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +3 more
stdavid Senior Member • Posts: 1,842
The only feature I want to see

Is the  ability to turn off Samsungs heavy handed approach to N/R or use better sensors.

-- hide signature --

Quote: Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Oscar Wilde

Ariston Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

wictred wrote:

tombell1 wrote:

It's interesting that this is mentioned again and again, just because the 16mm pancake is not really that good and there were not many other e-mount primes available 1 year ago.

There are decent prime lenses now: the 35mm F1.8 and 50mm F1.8 ... the 19mm and 30mm Sigma lenses ... even the 30mm Macro has it's uses.

Sure, Samsung has the superb 60mm Macro and the 85mm portrait lenses. Sony has the 24mm CZ lens (35mm eq) instead and there will probably be a new 85mm F1.8 lens this year.

Regarding lenses both systems have their gems and I'd say they're on the same level now ... it depends on what you need.

not sure if they are in the same level now. having decent is not the same as being remarkable. Sony has yet to produce something that would make the NEX system "stand out", meaning not being mediocre. if decent is the only thing the NEX is capable of, I would look somewhere else. e.g. despite the still limited lineup for the Fuji X system, it's 35mm offering made enough of an impression to invest in the system. point is, the NEX needs to provide a lens that it can be proud of.

tombell1 wrote:

As I have a fuly fledged Pentax K5 system I am loking for a lightweight alternative with an APSC sensor ... at a reasonable cost.

I want ideally

Tilting Screen

EVF if possible

Good small primes ... seems logical for a small system.

APSC

Samsung ... Fab screen, good primes no EVF

I decided last year to buty the 20 / 30 mm primes which i got new at a BRILLIANT price and then pray that the NX300 had EVF + tilting screen ......

There is one and not the other ... so i wait for NX300 price to drop and go for 16+20-50 ...... or I sell the lenses and go for Nex6 .....

I will wait and see .... but I must say one thing I really prefer about the Samsung over the Sony ... the AMOLED screen which noone emphasises is as good as it is .... and the menu system in the NX being made by humans as opposed to the Sony .... I will wait and see

how bout the X-System?

anyway, the things that I'd be interested about the NX300 is how it's AF would perform this time. secondly, would be the sensor, if it's an improvement over the previous models. and, also, I hope a support for third party devices such as wireless triggers and flashes.

jj74e Senior Member • Posts: 1,633
llooks

with the nx100 and nx200, i liked the looks the more and more i looked at it, and didn't like the looks very much at first.

with the nx300, i'm finding that i like its appearance less and less with time, but thought it looked great at first.

kennethfong Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: llooks

Some wives/mistresses description fits your description very well too.... 

jj74e wrote:

with the nx100 and nx200, i liked the looks the more and more i looked at it, and didn't like the looks very much at first.

with the nx300, i'm finding that i like its appearance less and less with time, but thought it looked great at first.

-- hide signature --

Knallberto wrote:

You should learn PHOTOGRAPHY

yeah same to you and all the best wishes and you know what.

ChuckTa Senior Member • Posts: 1,426

wictred wrote:

tombell1 wrote:

Regarding lenses both systems have their gems and I'd say they're on the same level now ... it depends on what you need.

My 2 cents opinion is that a few of the Samsung lens are better then Nex.

Between the two 16mm, the Samsung is certainly better, not only in edge sharpness but also has better color.

Comparing the kit lens (I have Nex5 and NX200), the Samsung 20-50mm is also better, I was surprise of the amount of detail and color from a kit lens. The Nex kit lens is just another kit lens. Photozone's review comment on Samsung's kit lens "Optically it is among the best standard zoom lenses in the mirrorless system class that we've seen so far." may not be too far off the mark.

The Samsung NX 30/f2 is a great little lens. Not sure about the Nex 30/f1.8 but it is bigger and has OSS.

The 50mm is missing in the Samsung and the 45/f1.8 is not yet out. But I have used Sony DT 50/f1.8 (not the Nex 50/1.8) on the Nex and it is nothing to write home about. Good sharpness but flat images. I sold it quickly. And this is one thing I notice and like about Samsung lens is that it does not do this, while it is definitely not on a level with good German optics ( I use a lot of old "reasonably cheap" German lens on both Nex and Samsung), it is fairly decent.

I have to mention that I like the rendering of images with my manual lens better on the Samsung NX200 that on my Nex 5. Too bad the NX200 do not have peaking function and flip screen. But I will be eagerly waiting for the NX300.

I have the Samsung 50-200mm tele zoom, base on the photos that I have seem for the Nex so far, I would say Samsung tele is better. Howver, I have used the Sony DT 50-200mm zoom on the Nex and I would confidently say the Samsung tele zoom is better, in terms of color and detail. The Nex tele zoom aperture starts at f4.5 while Samsung is f4.

But from what I heard, the Samsung 18-200mm zoom is not very good, while the comment for Nex 18-200mm is very good. But guess what, the Samsung 18-200mm is Made in Japan ... maybe the time has changed.

ChuckTa's gear list:ChuckTa's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Sony a7 Samsung NX mini Samsung NX500 Fujifilm X-T20 +8 more

ChuckTa wrote:.

The Samsung NX 30/f2 is a great little lens. Not sure about the Nex 30/f1.8 but it is bigger and has OSS.

The E-Mount 35mm F1.8 seems to be good. There are no real reviews yet except

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-e-35mm-f-1-8-oss-lens-review-20665

Then there's the 24mm CZ and don't forget the 2 Sigma lenses which are also really good. Not made by Sony, but if I'd have to choose between the 2 systems right now based on what lenses I could get now, then there's not much difference, depending on if you need a 85mm prime or a 60mm macro ... and I miss the 30mm f2 pancake, although the 30mm Sigma is not that much different, also with a similar price tag.

Michael Barker Senior Member • Posts: 1,966
No EVF == a Toy? For some people, I guess.

This axiom that any camera without an eye-level viewfinder is a toy is false.

There is a long history of cameras that are composed on the ground glass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_glass).

I would much rather have my NX200 than a Canon T3i which does not autofocus well when composing on the LCD.  I'd much rather have a huge rear screen and no eye-level viewfinder than a mediocre (NEX) rear screen and a tiny, dim, or slow eye-level viewfinder.

The exception would be be in the case that I am doing long telephoto work especially of moving subjects.  But if I was doing that, I would probably buy a camera with a larger grip anyway - like a K-30, or a camera with a smaller format that uses light and small telephoto lenses such as Nikon 1.

Different tools for different tasks.  Long-term, I would rather invest in the system with high quality glass, large sensor, a stable and powerful electronics manufacturing company, and extend my photography work into telephoto in the future via digital zoom and in the present through the high quality if cumbersome 50-200mm which works great on a tripod; and by the way I'd rather use an AMOLED on a tripod than an OVF.

That said, an add-on EVF might conceivably be tempting, depending on the price/quality.

Desverger Regular Member • Posts: 124

tombell1 wrote:

For me the tilting screen is a big improvement in a camera with no EVF .. but I cannot for the life of me see why the optional EVF is not available as it was on the NX100 ......

I'm guessing the reason is cost. That plus Samsung knows exactly how many people bought the EVF for the NX100, and if that number is small, which it likely is, they may have decided they'd rather invest in other features that sell more. Of course, all this also depends on what the demographics are. If most NX users aren't serious photographers, then perhaps it makes sense to ditch the optional EVF. I think the NX20 is the camera they're targeting at the enthusiasts and it has a built in EVF and articulated screen. And it kinda makes sense considering the price difference between the NX210 and the NX20 is about the price of the EVF.

Desverger's gear list:Desverger's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD550 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
tombell1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,135
Re: No EVF == a Toy? For some people, I guess.

Its tricky for me as I have bought the NX20/NX30 for a very good price ..... and I REALLY cant get over how much I prefer the AMOLED screen on the NX200 let alone this new even bigger ( and importantly ) tilting beauty. I dont particularly like the screen on the NEX6 which I've useed briefly .... so I think if I can get used to AMOLED tilting I would prefer that. To be honest the  add on EVF would be less tempting for ME as i would probably loose it!!!! I do think the incorporated EVF in the Nexx6 is a stroke of genius .....BUT I await to see the NX300 as its a chepaer option for me ... given i have the 20/30 in the bag and with 20-50 / 16 twin purchase I'm done .....although the 60mm is tempting .....

-- hide signature --

Tom Bell Dartmoor Devon http://flickr.com/photos/tombell1

tombell1's gear list:tombell1's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 +16 more
targut Regular Member • Posts: 456

Knallberto wrote:

You should learn PHOTOGRAPHY

And you should learn how to behave yourself in a public forum

targut's gear list:targut's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX2000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
targut Regular Member • Posts: 456

Michael Barkowski wrote:

I would much rather have my NX200 than a Canon T3i which does not autofocus well when composing on the LCD.

This was one of two reasons why I have abandoned Canon 5DII and switched to mirrorless. The second reason was weight and size. I have never missed a viewfinder on a NX200 and I never use it on Olympus OM-D - my second camera. I just do not need it.

If somebody says that the camera without a viewfinder is a toy - that's OK for me. I can understand that some people may really need a viewfinder for own specific needs and photographic habits. I will just continue taking pictures with my toy. Nothing personal. I need a couple of good lenses and a decent camera, and I have them already.

When NX300 arrives, I'll get it and continue making pictures with it. Peace!

targut's gear list:targut's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX2000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Michael Barker Senior Member • Posts: 1,966
Re: NX300 Official - See the News!

I'm really glad they focus on improving AF speed and processing speed !

The tilting screen is a nice addition and touch-to-focus on screen should mean touch-to-focus on smartphone via remote viewfinder (and that would be really useful !)

Yes - in Samsung style, they are matching popular competitors feature for feature (phase-detect on sensor matching Canon, tilting screen matching Olympus OM-D) and adding something new (2D/3D, auto-copy-to-smartphone, big screen...). I wonder if we will also see collapsing power-zoom lenses at some point.

seph Regular Member • Posts: 182

Desverger wrote:

tombell1 wrote:

For me the tilting screen is a big improvement in a camera with no EVF .. but I cannot for the life of me see why the optional EVF is not available as it was on the NX100 ......

I'm guessing the reason is cost. That plus Samsung knows exactly how many people bought the EVF for the NX100, and if that number is small, which it likely is, they may have decided they'd rather invest in other features that sell more. Of course, all this also depends on what the demographics are. If most NX users aren't serious photographers, then perhaps it makes sense to ditch the optional EVF. I think the NX20 is the camera they're targeting at the enthusiasts and it has a built in EVF and articulated screen. And it kinda makes sense considering the price difference between the NX210 and the NX20 is about the price of the EVF.

Maybe it is, maybe not !

The NX20 is definitely too expensive for what it is, whereas he carries all the actual NX flaws ! I like my NX1000 for the price, but it's rather useless when the sun shines too bright or at the dusk because of the lack of a clear and readable display. An optional EVF like the one one the NX100 would be a must to me, the thing to keep hidden in you bag or pocket until you really need it.

A great friend of mine bought one for his NEX-5, and it's a wonderful addition when needed. A bit expensive, but I could totally forget my DSLR with such an addition (except for the biggest lenses, of course) !

seph's gear list:seph's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +7 more
viking79
OP viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,152

targut wrote:

Michael Barkowski wrote:

I would much rather have my NX200 than a Canon T3i which does not autofocus well when composing on the LCD.

This was one of two reasons why I have abandoned Canon 5DII and switched to mirrorless. The second reason was weight and size. I have never missed a viewfinder on a NX200 and I never use it on Olympus OM-D - my second camera. I just do not need it.

If somebody says that the camera without a viewfinder is a toy - that's OK for me. I can understand that some people may really need a viewfinder for own specific needs and photographic habits. I will just continue taking pictures with my toy. Nothing personal. I need a couple of good lenses and a decent camera, and I have them already.

When NX300 arrives, I'll get it and continue making pictures with it. Peace!

I agree, not sure why people call a camera without a viewfinder a toy, just because they happen to like that feature. We could start saying things like, "Viewfinders for Jacka$$es", I say this sarcastically as it is a nonsensical statement to say it is a toy without a viewfinder. Obviously some people need a viewfinder, but for someone who only used SLR's previously, I only use the viewfinder about 10% of the time and get annoyed when I go back to my D7000 to shoot a wedding and have to mash my face up against it all day and squint with my other eye.

Most people calling them toys are missing the point of waist level shooting. Flip the screen vertical and brace your wrists against chest or belly with both hands gripping the camera, one on the right side grip and the other underneath and it is extremely stable. This is difficult without a flip screen, and works very well with the NX300 style flip screen (not as well on NX20 articulated screen). Then of course overhead shooting, macro shooting from low angles, positioning screen best angle from a tripod, etc.

edit: Heck, modern digital live view (as opposed to film with a ground glass) is nice since the image is rightside up since the processor corrects it for display, no upside down and mirrored composing like on the old view cameras

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
seph Regular Member • Posts: 182

Is the "foldable display shade" really efficient against strong sunlight ? Is it strong enough, if you have to open/close it several times a day ?

I'm interested in the cheap JJC model (LCH 3.0B), but I haven't found clear reviews yet (mostly people complaining about ordering the wrong size).

I don't mind using the screen, but if I can't see it ... maybe this could be a solution (if it actually works), as I don't really need magnification in fact.

seph's gear list:seph's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +7 more
Desverger Regular Member • Posts: 124

Just to add to the, "I wouldn't use an EVF even if I had one" camp: I bought the camera mostly to shoot my baby daughter. Since I like to compose the shots at HER level, not mine, I tend to position the camera down, well below my own head level. A tilt screen would be far more useful to me than an EVF. Happy to see the NX300 has that feature and is one of the features that tempts me the most. To use the EVF I'd need to be crawling on the floor all the time and I'd rather not. I certainly wouldn't use the EVF enough to justify the $200 or whatever Samsung was charging for it. I'd maybe consider an additional $50 for the EVF, but I'd rather save that plus the extra cost of adding the connection port on the body and spend it on another lens.

Desverger's gear list:Desverger's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD550 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads