NX300 Official - See the News!

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions
tkpenalty Regular Member • Posts: 451
Re: NX300 Official - See the News!

viking79 wrote:

Looks like the NX300 is official:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/03/Samsung-announces-NX300-3D-capable-20MP-mirrorless-camera-with-WVGA-touchscreen

A tilting touch screen and hybrid focus sensors as well as some 3D functionality. Glad they didn't go 32 MP yet. Looks pretty decent.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

Most importantly, the unpainted top and bottom plates on both bodies means that it won't depreciate badly 
-looks at his scratched-to-hell top plate-

Bryan M
Bryan M Contributing Member • Posts: 926

Looks great. They have upgraded many things, if it performs well I may have to hold off on my pursuit of a D600 and invest more into my Samsung kit. I will be really curious about sensor performance and the auto focus system of this camera. I wouldn't mind a 16-50 2.8 zoom from Samsung to sweeten the deal.

-- hide signature --

Bryan
www.bcmcue.com

Bryan M's gear list:Bryan M's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478
3D

Let us see how 3D works ... small, small eye distance, two shutter curtains ... buuuut stills and 1080/60fps video. I hope it isn't the same flop like Panasonic.

viking79
OP viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,138
Re: 3D

Knallberto wrote:

Let us see how 3D works ... small, small eye distance, two shutter curtains ... buuuut stills and 1080/60fps video. I hope it isn't the same flop like Panasonic.

Even if 3d is a flop the camera should still be nice.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
jj74e Senior Member • Posts: 1,633

I just headed my sections not because it's a professional review or anything but just because my opinions are long and I don't want to force you to read through it all

What I like

All the improvements are great- I'm especially like the ergonomic improvements. The camera is a bit thicker, but the top dial looks to be in a more comfortable place. On the black model, the grip-side neck strap lug is hidden so your hand doesn't get poked while holding the camera (but I don't get why the white model isn't also like this). At first I was disappointed at the removal of the back side dial, but then I remembered it is now touch screen, so at least there won't be too much menu digging.

Also, the movie button looks smartly placed, out of the way of accidental presses but still in reach. Hopefully the camera's body is rubberized or something- faux leather on the NX200 while pretty, wasn't the best.

On top of all these improvements, Samsung has lowered the starting price by $150. I'll still be waiting for sales and whatnot, but the camera seems affordable and correctly priced off the bat- making me less motivated to wait for basement bucket prices of <$500. Honestly, I've been realizing it's not just Samsung products that do that- it's practically every mirrorless camera from any company. Camera industries sure are digging themselves a financial dilemma....

What I'm worried about

I really hope this "new" sensor actually brings some IQ improvements, and it's not just "new" in that it now has phase detect sensors- speaking of which, I hope the AF is actually improved because of it, unlike Canon with their EOS-M and its slow focusing despite phase detect sensors.

Hopefully video quality has improved too- the 60p in 1080 is nice, but Samsung needs to fix its issues with moire and whatnot (I'm really hoping that Samsung can double for my video needs too, but that remains to be seen).

The main worry I have for the nX300 is if the battery life- which was already fairly short in the NX210- is even shorter now with the higher res, bigger, touch-enabled screen and faster processor. Also, speaking of which, does the faster processor only mean better FPS and focusing, or do we also get better buffer times and smaller RAW files?

Also, I really don't like tilt screens- for me it's the worst of both worlds: extra thickness without full flexibility of an articulated screen. I was hoping Samsung would be the first to put it on a rangefinder model considering it hasn't yet made an external EVF

Conclusion

I'm glad that Samsung hasn't gone full Android on its NX cameras. Samsung seems to be slowly improving everything, getting more and more solid as they go. I still can't say I like the Wi-fi so much that I think it deserves a separate button and place on the mode dial, but who knows, I might find myself uploading like that in the near future (unless I get a decent smartphone camera first ;)). I have to admit though, something about Samsung still feels very electronic/technology based, even though it's a very fine photographic product. I think at this point it's not the product but Samsung simply lacks heritage- if it had been the one to buy Pentax or if it had one of the German lens makers behind its production, it might inspire more confidence, but I think it will just take time.

yonsarh Senior Member • Posts: 1,950
Ralf Bauer Regular Member • Posts: 183
NX300 ..... It's really a Samsung!

To put it ironically

We blow up screen

copy three missing features from Sony NEX: tilt screen, phase detection and focus peaking

flavour it with some Fuji vintage appearance

and put 3D consumer gimmick for higher Samsung 3D-TV sales in it.

Samsung ... like this we know you .... you merge the best of all worlds in one camera .... NX300 is a better copy than Ipad.

NX300  .....  It's really a Samsung!

Ralf Bauer's gear list:Ralf Bauer's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Samsung NX500 Sony Alpha a7R
yonsarh Senior Member • Posts: 1,950
Re: NX300 ..... It's really a Samsung!

Ralf Bauer wrote:

To put it ironically

We blow up screen

copy three missing features from Sony NEX: tilt screen, phase detection and focus peaking

Most today's Dslr camera designs all look identical and same

to each other in today's dslr market.

supeyugin1 Contributing Member • Posts: 739

No EVF again, damn! Waiting for NX-R.

supeyugin1's gear list:supeyugin1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon G9 X II Pentax Q7 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX mini +15 more
Only the best composers know where to steal their themes

Most today's Dslr camera designs all look identical and same

to each other in today's dslr market.

@ yonsarh

All cars do somehow look like one another ....

I wanted to point out that Samsung engineers perform with virtuosity and like maestros in merging an copying the USPs of other players.

In music we say .... Only the best composers know where to steal their themes.

Todd3608 Contributing Member • Posts: 780

Just use clearviewer.  It works great.

http://www.clearviewer.com/

supeyugin1 wrote:

No EVF again, damn! Waiting for NX-R.

jldgomes Regular Member • Posts: 155

Ralf Bauer wrote:

To put it ironically

We blow up screen

and put 3D consumer gimmick for higher Samsung 3D-TV sales in it.

Samsung ... like this we know you .... you merge the best of all worlds in one camera .... NX300 is a better copy than Ipad.

NX300 ..... It's really a Samsung!

They copy as much as the others.

Phase detection on the sensor was available way before on other cameras and sensores, do you call sony copycats as well or would you say they use the best tech available on the market?

I serioulsy don't get what you are trying to say, do you consider the Samsung NX300 a good product or a bad one?

Assembling all the best features and improving the ergonomics of the NX210 makes a better camera. Yes, NX300 will be a better camera.

In design (Fuji Flavour) and 3D gadgetry (for market reasons) I feel somehow ashamed.

supeyugin1 Contributing Member • Posts: 739

105 PDAF + 247 CDAF points. That becomes interesting! Maybe they are right about fastest AF on the market?

supeyugin1's gear list:supeyugin1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon G9 X II Pentax Q7 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX mini +15 more
sixfootzero Contributing Member • Posts: 625

Really excited to see this!  It looks great, and I like the sound of 'focus peaking'.  Like to hear more about that...

sixfootzero's gear list:sixfootzero's gear list
Samsung NX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
jldgomes Regular Member • Posts: 155

Ralf Bauer wrote:

Assembling all the best features and improving the ergonomics of the NX210 makes a better camera. Yes, NX300 will be a better camera.

In design (Fuji Flavour) and 3D gadgetry (for market reasons) I feel somehow ashamed.

That's the thing I don't understand, how can you be ashamed because a company releases a product with good specs?

What fuji camera are you talking about? I don't remember any that looks like this one, in my opinion  the NX300 follows closely the NX200 design.

jgardia Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Re: NX300 Official - See the News! - what size files ?
Unless you want lossy compression you aren't going to do much better than that. A RAW file is 12 bits and has an embedded JPEG. With no compression on your NX10 that is 14.6 MP * 12 bits = about 21 Megabytes plus maybe 1 or 2 MB for embedded JPEG. Say 2:3 lossless compression ratio puts it down around 14 MB, plus a low quality JPEG for review and you are up at probably 15 MB.

The 20 MP sensor is going to be 28 MB uncompressed before you had in the preview JPEG. This is not small, and not something you are going to be able to reduce much below 20 MB without lossy compression.

Hi Eric,

I have to politely disagree with you. I made some tests (with my NX10's raw files), and the Samsung raw files are embedding a full jpeg (3.5 to 6mb). The rest (about 22MB) is the 14.7mpix at 12 bits per pixel.

You can do differential encoding (I tried it), and you can go to 15MB without any loss. Basically you save the difference between the pixels, instead of saving the absolute value. You can encode the difference in 1 byte per pixel if it fits, and when it doesn't you need 3 pixels. In my tests, you can fit the difference in 1 byte for over 99% of the pixels. The algorithm is super easy, and the concept is super old (I think from the 70s).

Cheers,

Jose

kennethfong Regular Member • Posts: 111

105 PDAF + 247 CDAF points? Is this confirmed? If this is true on paper, in practice this should be real fast...

supeyugin1 wrote:

105 PDAF + 247 CDAF points. That becomes interesting! Maybe they are right about fastest AF on the market?

-- hide signature --
kennethfong Regular Member • Posts: 111

Looking at the current Sony NEX 5R examples, I can't be sure but what I worry is the new PDAF may not be compatible with the older NX lenses, unless a new lens firmware is released. I really hope I'm wrong though.

-- hide signature --
Franka T.L. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,143
Re: NX300 Official - well ....

A step forward alright, but I doubt its enough ... seems Samsung is too concerned with the connectivity side and AF ( rightfully so ) that they have miss some rather key concern ...

I suppose the lack of provision for an external EVF in the NX200/210 is pretty much a decision to distinguish it from the NX20, but then it also mean ( for many ) that its no more different in use than the NX1000 and this is still so here. The now articulated LCD would be welcomed, but I doubt the missing 2nd control dial a good idea at all. Not to mention that their primary control dial is still too fiddly and a tiny affair that should be rectified. And well where's the flash.

One have to look at the competitions to tell. And reflect upon themselves. In essence the NX20 and NX210 is no more than one with an EVF and one without, and the NX1000 no more than a weight reduction together with less serious build ( even for dedicated photographers ). I am not sure how Samsung is going to made the NX300 any different this time around.

Yes, it got a new LCD, 3D capability ( doubt if this really sells ), and better AF / processing ( the 2 genuine improvement but less likely to be noted for mainstream consumers ). But as a whole I cannot see how on earth it compare to like of NEX-6, NEX-5R, or OM-D / E-PL / E-PM by missing key features ( build in flash, optional EVF ) and among its own by not taking the lineup and making them differentiate enough ( if I am a serious photographer shooting NX setup, I might as well use a NX1000 )

-- hide signature --

- Franka -

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads