NX300 Official - See the News!

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,152
NX300 Official - See the News!

Looks like the NX300 is official:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/03/Samsung-announces-NX300-3D-capable-20MP-mirrorless-camera-with-WVGA-touchscreen

A tilting touch screen and hybrid focus sensors as well as some 3D functionality.  Glad they didn't go 32 MP yet.  Looks pretty decent.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Samsung NX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Delos
Delos Contributing Member • Posts: 851
Re: NX300 Official - See the News!

I like the looks of the camera. Will wait patiently for more details to emerge about mic ports and how much actual tilt is available from that screen. I'm pretty sure I won't be an early adopter (as I was with the NX200), but if it offers significant improvements in things I think are weak in the NX200, I may just get one.

Delos's gear list:Delos's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX720 HS Nikon D300 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +3 more
viking79
OP viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,152

Delos wrote:

I like the looks of the camera. Will wait patiently for more details to emerge about mic ports and how much actual tilt is available from that screen. I'm pretty sure I won't be an early adopter (as I was with the NX200), but if it offers significant improvements in things I think are weak in the NX200, I may just get one.

Yeah, I am waiting for the NX30 or maybe a rangefinder version, but I am very interested in the improvements.  A larger display, hybrid focus (hopefully works better than some of the others out there) and faster image processor without increasing resolution.  Should add a nice performance bump.  I am excited

Eric

-- hide signature --

Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
viking79

Delos wrote:

They have an image that shows the tilt, looks like straight up, and maybe 30 degrees down/back:

DpReviews Image from their announcement.

Eric

-- hide signature --

tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,208

Finally Samsung seems to be going thebright way with nx system. I hope the sensor has also improved DR and high iso.

I even like the external look.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
mathOS Regular Member • Posts: 232

Hello,

My opinion about the announced NX300:

I'm really glad they focus on improving AF speed and processing speed !

The tilting screen is a nice addition and touch-to-focus on screen should mean touch-to-focus on smartphone via remote viewfinder (and that would be really useful !)

The retro-design will look great with pancake lenses !

If it had to be my upgrade from my NX10, I'm afraid I'd miss an EVF.

About the 3D lens, I don't know what to think and I wonder if the 3D option will impact on 2D IQ. Also I wonder if the 45mm could have been more compact if they had not engineered it with 3D in mind.

What do you think ?

Best regards,

-- hide signature --
 mathOS's gear list:mathOS's gear list
Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +5 more
viking79

mathOS wrote:

Hello,

The tilting screen is a nice addition and touch-to-focus on screen should mean touch-to-focus on smartphone via remote viewfinder (and that would be really useful !)

About the 3D lens, I don't know what to think and I wonder if the 3D option will impact on 2D IQ. Also I wonder if the 45mm could have been more compact if they had not engineered it with 3D in mind.

What do you think ?

Best regards,

I agree, seems like a nice update and it looks like Samsung is working at rectifying major issues like processing performance.

I don't think 3d will make any difference in image quality.  It sounds like there is an internal LCD (like what a projector uses) in the lens, this blocks light rays coming from one direction, then it will switch which pixels are blacked out, and then capture a second image with light rays from the other direction.  I imagine if this is blocking half the light, you will see a 1 stop reduction in light gathering when you are using it in 3d, plus any loss through the LCD.

I think a really cool feature for this would be to make an adjustable ND filter.  This LCD could automatically adjust to dim the sky for example and reduce the light from bright light sources to increase scene dynamic range.  Something I always wanted to do if I designed my own camera would be to put an LCD over the sensor for this very purpose.  I hadn't thought about 3d aspects of it.  It would probably take some work to make this work right, but would be pretty cool (not sure if they can grey out pixels in the LCD or if they have to turn them totally black)

As for size?  It is possible that this is why the 45mm f/1.8 is larger than it could be, extra space for this LCD near the diaphragm.

Eric

-- hide signature --

dka91 Senior Member • Posts: 1,200

BOOM! Lol, finally I think I will get another body again lol, I was waiting patiently for this.

I just wonder though, 3D doesn't really seem to be taking off, so whether or not this will be a draw for people will be left to be seen. It does sound really cool.

The specs seem great and am I reading this right? 1080p at 60fps!!!!!! Hell yes! If the video is tip top thats going to be awesome.

Faster processing speeds, good to stick to the much underrated 20MP (but watch how people will slobber all over it once the system gets popular), it all sounds good.

dka91's gear list:dka91's gear list
Sony a7 II Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.8
annamon Junior Member • Posts: 43

It seems lost the dial in the back of the camera, not all good news...

-- hide signature --
NegroKu
NegroKu New Member • Posts: 21

Just found more real photos from Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/03/samsung-nx300-mirrorless-camera-3D/

Really waiting to see the first pictures that will came from this new sensor.

-- hide signature --

Rene-Valladares

NegroKu's gear list:NegroKu's gear list
Sony a7 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Micehorns New Member • Posts: 7

" it also helped me with focusing due to the combination of magnification and focus peaking."
 http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/01/03/first-impressions-samsung-nx300-and-45mm-f1-8-3d/
I'm 100% certain this will be my upgrade from the NX100. Everything just seems correct for my needs, it's bringing some of the stuff I missed from my NEX (tilt screen and focus peaking), adding an awesome screen, WiFi and it actually looks quite nice to handle. I'm excited.

viking79

viking79 wrote:

mathOS wrote:

Hello,

The tilting screen is a nice addition and touch-to-focus on screen should mean touch-to-focus on smartphone via remote viewfinder (and that would be really useful !)

What do you think ?

Best regards,

I agree, seems like a nice update and it looks like Samsung is working at rectifying major issues like processing performance.

I don't think 3d will make any difference in image quality. It sounds like there is an internal LCD (like what a projector uses) in the lens, this blocks light rays coming from one direction, then it will switch which pixels are blacked out, and then capture a second image with light rays from the other direction. I imagine if this is blocking half the light, you will see a 1 stop reduction in light gathering when you are using it in 3d, plus any loss through the LCD.

I think a really cool feature for this would be to make an adjustable ND filter. This LCD could automatically adjust to dim the sky for example and reduce the light from bright light sources to increase scene dynamic range. Something I always wanted to do if I designed my own camera would be to put an LCD over the sensor for this very purpose. I hadn't thought about 3d aspects of it. It would probably take some work to make this work right, but would be pretty cool (not sure if they can grey out pixels in the LCD or if they have to turn them totally black)

As for size? It is possible that this is why the 45mm f/1.8 is larger than it could be, extra space for this LCD near the diaphragm.

Eric

Looking at the phoblography photos it looks like there might be a physical shutter in the lens for each side, but hard to tell.  I imagine I would buy the non 3d version for most light transmittance if you aren't using the 3d function at all.

Eric

-- hide signature --

mathOS Regular Member • Posts: 232

I imagine I would buy the non 3d version for most light transmittance if you aren't using the 3d function at all.

Now the question is WHEN will the non-3D 45mm f1.8 hit stores ? I really hope that it will be available in early  February (I will be very busy at work until the end of January so I can still wait a few weeks).

-- hide signature --
 mathOS's gear list:mathOS's gear list
Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +5 more
simontramper
simontramper Senior Member • Posts: 2,393

Did someone say focus peaking

simontramper's gear list:simontramper's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +10 more
d2friis Junior Member • Posts: 33

Here in Denmark, the dealer confirmed today that the 45mm will arrive Jan 15

d2friis's gear list:d2friis's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 +3 more
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,208

I hope this is really focus peaking and not the old green bar...which I personally hate.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
Todd3608 Contributing Member • Posts: 785

Mr brand new NX210 on the way from bhphoto is now going to be returned for the NX300.  I do wish it came with the 18-55 lens though.

viking79 wrote:

Looks like the NX300 is official:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/03/Samsung-announces-NX300-3D-capable-20MP-mirrorless-camera-with-WVGA-touchscreen

A tilting touch screen and hybrid focus sensors as well as some 3D functionality. Glad they didn't go 32 MP yet. Looks pretty decent.

Eric

nycandre Regular Member • Posts: 418
Re: NX300 Official - See the News! - what size files ?

I hope they have addressed the ridiculously large raw files they generate .. sometimes 20 megs for the NX10 ...

-- hide signature --
jonathanj
jonathanj Contributing Member • Posts: 957

Good news generally - nice to see Samsung continuing to release new bodies with new features (3d), but also delivering stuff people actually want, tilting screen and faster processing.

And good news for me, as assuming the NX30 comes out towards with the end of the year with a similar feature set, there's no must-have feature for me personally so I can sit this generation out and save some cash

(Actually, I'm guessing the 210s out there will be steeply discounted fairly soon, so there might be a bargain there for a second body.... hmmm)

jonathanj's gear list:jonathanj's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +10 more
viking79
Re: NX300 Official - See the News! - what size files ?

nycandre wrote:

I hope they have addressed the ridiculously large raw files they generate .. sometimes 20 megs for the NX10 ...

Unless you want lossy compression you aren't going to do much better than that.  A RAW file is 12 bits and has an embedded JPEG.  With no compression on your NX10 that is 14.6 MP * 12 bits = about 21 Megabytes plus maybe 1 or 2 MB for embedded JPEG.  Say 2:3 lossless compression ratio puts it down around 14 MB, plus a low quality JPEG for review and you are up at probably 15 MB.

The 20 MP sensor is going to be 28 MB uncompressed before you had in the preview JPEG.  This is not small, and not something you are going to be able to reduce much below 20 MB without lossy compression.

Eric

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads