I am returning my 3rd RX100 to Amazon.

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions
Lconcept Regular Member • Posts: 105
I am returning my 3rd RX100 to Amazon.

so far, I am returning my third RX100 (serial 6505732) to Amazon and asking for replacement.

The first one, everything was OK but found out lens has scratches so I returned it received replacement: I assume this is factory quality check issue.

The second one, the control ring was so stiff, I couldn't rotate easily so I returned it. again, quality check issue.

The third one arrived today, it shows signs of used item. The seal was double taped, and the LCD protection film has bubble, lens protection film was not properly sit on, and lens has finger prints. It is clearly not a new one.

I do see first two were definately quality control issue from SONY, and third one is definately AMAZON issue. I assume people are experiencing in-consistancy of quality of this camera, ended up returning many times just like me.

Amazon, please send me a NEW one please. I am a big fan of your company.

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
harry cannoli
harry cannoli Veteran Member • Posts: 5,829
Re: I am returning my 3rd RX100 to Amazon.

Lconcept wrote:

I am a big fan of your company.

Why? The QC issues aren't their fault. A box with broken factory seals, that is their fault.

Here's your answer.

Cheers

Rich
ice nine photography
Take only photographs, leave only footprints.

harry cannoli's gear list:harry cannoli's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +9 more
Richard Spangler Contributing Member • Posts: 913

I hope you get a good one soon.  Its a great little camera.  I love my little China (made) doll.

DRogers
DRogers Forum Member • Posts: 96

I got mine from crutchfield which arrived just today, mint, new, perfect and no tax. But I am still disappointed Amazon did this to you as I use them a lot. Sorry this happened to you.

DRogers's gear list:DRogers's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more
Andrew Butterfield Senior Member • Posts: 2,470

Although I would be as disappointed by broken seals etc as you, I might be tempted to wipe it clean and keep it if it was working perfectly and get over the fact that somebody else has been in the box before you. It may just be somebody who returned it because they didn't like the colour...

-- hide signature --
 Andrew Butterfield's gear list:Andrew Butterfield's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
Phill Downunder Regular Member • Posts: 153

I am afraid I agree. If the camera is in perfect condition, why send it back?

The 4th one may be another faulty one.

Phill Downunder's gear list:Phill Downunder's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3
Roger65 Regular Member • Posts: 236

Andrew Butterfield wrote:

I might be tempted to wipe it clean and keep it if it was working perfectly

I am with Andrew

You might want to read this

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-552203.html

and do a Google search on "Amazon closes account for returns"

b534202 Regular Member • Posts: 187

Roger65 wrote:

I am with Andrew

Yeah, that's just abusing the system.

The throw-away LCD film has bubble and not perfectly applied and that's one of the reason for return?  I doubt they have a machine that puts that film on perfectly, its done by a guy earning $10 a day.

That's not a legit reason for return.

b534202's gear list:b534202's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
GingerBread Regular Member • Posts: 384

If you want to do any future business with Amazon, then you should probably stop with the returns and buy elsewhere.  Three returns of a single camera model are a lot, even if for perfectly valid reasons. If a camera works properly and has a low shutter count, I'd never return it. The stores with generous return policies quite often repackage them and sell them as new; it is part of getting such generous return policies. Amazon is not alone in this practice. Saying that the packaging doesn't look new to you is not a sufficient reason to return it. I've seen many Nikon buyers complain because their DSLR was in an unsealed box, immediately assuming that it must be used. It turned out that everyone in that thread who bought that particular Nikon did not get a sealed box. Apparently Nikon did not ship them with a sealed box. Unless you plan to never use the camera, why get upset that it might have a few shots taken when you get it?

-- hide signature --

Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +3 more
Rchan Regular Member • Posts: 311

FWIW, I got my camera from Amazon and had no problems (lucky I guess). So far, I'm very pleased with my RX100 (mic version).

Rchan's gear list:Rchan's gear list
Sony RX100 VA
OP Lconcept Regular Member • Posts: 105

b534202 wrote:

Roger65 wrote:

I am with Andrew

Yeah, that's just abusing the system.

The throw-away LCD film has bubble and not perfectly applied and that's one of the reason for return? I doubt they have a machine that puts that film on perfectly, its done by a guy earning $10 a day.

That's not a legit reason for return.

I asume most people are generous enough to accept the "used but mint" conditions. I didn't mind film bubbles unless camera was in good condition but couldn't accept the obvious finger prints on the lens and "oily" hint around lens housing as well.

lenshoarder Contributing Member • Posts: 609

Personally, I would have just asked for a refund after the second return.  I agree with others that you are now flirting with the Amazon ban bot.  Once banned, shorting of moving or having access to another address, you'll never be able to buy from Amazon again.  I would balance the worth of being able to buy from Amazon again in the future versus wiping away fingerprints on a otherwise mint camera.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 40,646

Lconcept wrote:

so far, I am returning my third RX100 (serial 6505732) to Amazon and asking for replacement.

I assume people are experiencing in-consistancy of quality of this camera, ended up returning many times just like me.

Don't assume anything. I don't assume not many people are experiencing inconsistency of quality because mine was perfect out of the box. I also bought mine from Amazon.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Extract0r Forum Member • Posts: 91

Double seal is most likely from Sony.  I highly doubt Amazon warehouse keeps Sony branded seals.

Just be careful with multiple expensive item returns to Amazon.

I had to return two Fuji X100s (first one was defective and I changed my mind on the second one) and got a warning email from Amazon that they may terminate my account due to frequent returns.

SDF Senior Member • Posts: 2,131

Yeah amazon closed my sister's account because she had excessive returns (shoes, watches, dresses, and etc). Since my account is directly related to her account which we shared the prime shipping and also closed for abuse of their policies.

Good luck with your returns, hopefully your 4th RX is a virgin.

SDF's gear list:SDF's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +3 more
lenshoarder Contributing Member • Posts: 609

SDF wrote:

Yeah amazon closed my sister's account because she had excessive returns (shoes, watches, dresses, and etc). Since my account is directly related to her account which we shared the prime shipping and also closed for abuse of their policies.

Good luck with your returns, hopefully your 4th RX is a virgin.

That great Amazon customer service turns into a nightmare when they turn against you. They are quite draconian. It's worst then them never allowing you to buy from Amazon again, you lose many things you've already purchased. That's why I will never use Amazon cloud services. When they ban you, you lose all access to your songs, videos and formerly books. Amazon used to brick your Kindle too. Lately though, they've been separating out the Kindle to allow access to your ebooks. That's why I download any music I buy on Amazon, there's no way I'm leaving it on the Amazon cloud. Worst of all, if you have any Amazon giftcards in your account, you stand a great chance of losing those too. They are supposed to pay those out 90 days after closing our account, google and you'll find literally hundreds of people that have been waiting far longer than 90 days. As with PayPal, never leave a balance in your account.

It's just not returns.  Amazon dings you for a variety of things.  For example if buy something from Amazon and the price goes down, they may adjust it for you.  What they don't tell you is that counts as much as a return against you when it comes ban time.  So my policy is if it's egregious, I order a RX1 and they send me a Polaroid.  I'll complain.  But if it's minor, the price went down $5, I'll let it slide.

peter42y Senior Member • Posts: 2,201

Although I would be as disappointed by broken seals etc as you, I might be tempted to wipe it clean and keep it if it was working perfectly and get over the fact that somebody else has been in the box before you. It may just be somebody who returned it because they didn't like the colour...

I completely agree.

nowadays  more and more people are returning cameras . Some fellows do order 2 cameras and return the one they enjoy less.

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon IXUS 310 HS Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS M
Len_Gee
Len_Gee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,686

peter42y wrote:

I completely agree.

nowadays more and more people are returning cameras . Some fellows do order 2 cameras and return the one they enjoy less.

There was a poster who placed an order for eight RX100's to test and cherry pick the best one without soft corner or decentered lens.  And wanted a MIJ RX100 not MIC only.

Luckily, the vendor had a generous return policy.

Good luck to you in your quest to find a perfect RX100. They're out there.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100T Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus PEN-F +8 more
frank2001
frank2001 Forum Member • Posts: 97

Well maybe I got one of those 8 returned from Amazon Warehouse sales but I saved over $150 off new by buying one I know was a return.

The camera had 397 clicks but looks and works perfectly!

I'm happy!  Best P&S I have ever used!  Pictures rival that of my A77 with Zeiss Glass!

-- hide signature --

Frank in Atlanta

bibi0012 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,155

Good advises. Thanks for sharing.

bibi0012's gear list:bibi0012's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads