mdziados Regular Member • Posts: 134
Suggestions for editing on this photo

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO 320
Exposure 1/80 sec
Aperture 5.6
Focal Length 70mm
Lens EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM

Trying to get a little better at my editing skills and I figured what better way than to take a beating by way of C&C and then start fixing from there.

-- hide signature --

www.michaeldziados.com

mdziados's gear list:mdziados's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Pixel Poetry
Pixel Poetry Veteran Member • Posts: 5,678
Re: Suggestions for editing on this photo

mdziados wrote:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO 320
Exposure 1/80 sec
Aperture 5.6
Focal Length 70mm

Trying to get a little better at my editing skills and I figured what better way than to take a beating by way of C&C and then start fixing from there.

You might want to trim eyebrows, remove facial hair, even out color on the skin and remove the bumpiness of the skin, clean edges of lips, remove dark spots under lower lashes, and brighten eyes a tad.

Pixel Poetry's gear list:Pixel Poetry's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
OP mdziados Regular Member • Posts: 134

This is where I need the practice.  If I attempt to do that much editing my problem is that it will look far to over processed.  I guess I just need to keep practicing.  I will try to subtly work on all of those suggestions.

-- hide signature --

www.michaeldziados.com

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more

Also I guess it's a bit personal preference which I need to work out what that would be for myself.  I used to smooth out the skin completely until it was mentioned to me that a little texture to the skin is a good thing.  Work in progress I guess.

-- hide signature --

www.michaeldziados.com

Pixel Poetry
Pixel Poetry Veteran Member • Posts: 5,678

do you have the untouched version I'm sure people will be glad to work on it and show you their versions.

Pixel Poetry's gear list:Pixel Poetry's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
GPapa Senior Member • Posts: 1,919

At the largest size fully viewable on my monitor none of the imperfections mentioned are noticeable or distracting from the image.

When I pixel peep the original size image I see a few prominent facial bumps that could be removed with some spot healing and the facial hair is more noticeable but still not a problem for me. Real people actually do have facial hair.

The composition looks like an album cover. ( note: album covers were a feature of an ancient technology used in the music recording industry.)

Sunshine_boy
Sunshine_boy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,823

mdziados wrote:

How about this. Much warmer... 

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
Visit my website for lots of pics and fun...
www.sunshine-web.com
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon Coolpix P7100 Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon D60 Nikon D5200 +2 more

Should have added a scarf while you were at it.

-- hide signature --

www.michaeldziados.com

Sunshine_boy
Sunshine_boy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,823

mdziados wrote:

Should have added a scarf while you were at it.

Too good a neck to cover it...

But you can think in reverse. She's just taken the scarf off, the cap will be next as the original image shows...  LOL

Greetings

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
Visit my website for lots of pics and fun...
www.sunshine-web.com
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon Coolpix P7100 Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon D60 Nikon D5200 +2 more
asoftwind
asoftwind Veteran Member • Posts: 5,628

-- hide signature --

Claude

JDSledge Senior Member • Posts: 1,128

I actually didn't mind the extreme blue tint to that last one.  The fake glare of an earring though was a bit much for me.

-- hide signature --

www.michaeldziados.com

JeffHallPhoto
JeffHallPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 321
Here's one idea...

Also, I also removed the hairs from the upper lip and her left eyelid. With the full color version (not mine) I would try to remove the red blotches above the nose and elsewhere on her skin...

Allen Gerdes Veteran Member • Posts: 5,638

My biggest critique of the image has to do with the skin color. Specifically that it is too orangish and blotchy. I used curves and hSL adjustment layers to correct the color and Topaz Labs Clean to soften and correct some of the blotchiness. Here is how I feel the image should look. Of course, we all know that this is a highly subjective thing and opinions can vary wildly....who is to say what is correct?

Regards....Allen

gwlaw99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,113

mdziados wrote:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO 320
Exposure 1/80 sec
Aperture 5.6
Focal Length 70mm

If you have software that works in the CMYK color space like Photoshop, this is a good tutorial on color correcting skin. http://www.graphicconnectionkc.com/skin-tone-correction.html

I also like this photoshop action created by forum member Ronny Harris for evening out skin tones and smoothing skin, but use it judiciously as the effect can be over done. I find it to be as good as my attempts at frequency separation (splitting color and texture in separate layers for correction).

foresaa
foresaa Senior Member • Posts: 1,798
Quick Play

Michael,

Thanks for the play

mdziados wrote:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO 320
Exposure 1/80 sec
Aperture 5.6
Focal Length 70mm

-- hide signature --

Andy
Grey haired & Scottish
..and proud of both!
http://andelimages.com

davyandjane New Member • Posts: 2

Hope this is not a bit extreme.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads