New Year's Geese and a New Update for the PMH Program

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,445
New Year's Geese and a New Update for the PMH Program

It was a bright but cold day on January 1st. This flock of Canada Geese was nice enough to give me a good fly-by and I extracted a couple of vid-caps from a 60p HD video.

The new Play Memories Home 2.0 update was offered today. It has many improved features and restores the ability to make Data DVDs from photos. However, I'm going to use a restore point to get the previous version back, because the feature to re-size photos has been omitted. What sense is there in that, as it's the main thing I use with this program.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album
My Places on Google Earth Click on My Places on Skydrive

Stephen McDonald
OP Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,445
Correction About the PMH Program

I stated in the first message that the photo re-sizing feature was missing from the new 2.0 version of PMH, but this is incorrect. You click on Edit in the upper left corner and then on Convert, to get to the re-size page.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album

jrdu Forum Pro • Posts: 21,371
The geese left Central Canada some time ago

Although I suspect that they are getting a bit mixed up because of the erratic weather patterns.

I think that most of the geese in China are being fattened up for human consumption. Goose is quite popular here. I imagine a Kentucky Fried Goose franchise would do well.

In your photos, the geese are lit well. At the full size of the photos, or bigger, they will present very well.

-- hide signature --

John Dunn

Stephen McDonald
Thanks John

I appreciate the comments. The sky was unusually clear and bright. So, are you back teaching in China? It would be interesting to hear about that. About eating geese, there is a domestic Chinese variety of goose that may lay up to 150 eggs a year, so raising them in large quantities could be possible.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album

KCHAWK
KCHAWK Senior Member • Posts: 1,925
Re: New Year's Geese and a New Update for the PMH Program

Stephen, were these extracted in camera or in PP?

PMH -  I never installed that because I figured it was not needed with Picasa and Photoshop Elements.  Am I missing a functionality that I should / could benefit from?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Larry

KCHAWK's gear list:KCHAWK's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 31,615

Stephen McDonald wrote:

It was a bright but cold day on January 1st. This flock of Canada Geese was nice enough to give me a good fly-by and I extracted a couple of vid-caps from a 60p HD video.

The new Play Memories Home 2.0 update was offered today. It has many improved features and restores the ability to make Data DVDs from photos. However, I'm going to use a restore point to get the previous version back, because the feature to re-size photos has been omitted. What sense is there in that, as it's the main thing I use with this program.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album

Nice vid caps! But I'm not overly fond of Canadian Geese. They have overrun our parks here ;-(

And I would not use Sony Software!!!!

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 +3 more
Stephen McDonald
Thanks Larry and Bill

Well, I think the Sony PMH program is very good. For me, the high-points are photo re-sizing and video trimming and combining. You can leave the videos in their native 60p format and do those things. And the vid-cap feature is excellent. The shots on my first post were captured by the program in my computer. I see that the new 2.0 version has more processing features. It is also useful for uploading photos and videos. It's worth giving a try.

You may have to connect the camera to get the first version and then upgrade it. The process of uploading the program from the camera is complicated, but I managed to do it. The photo re-sizing has the option to set the quality on the highest level of 6 and this seems to improve and clean up the images. It gives the re-sized versions about 50% more bits-per-pixel than the full-sized photos. And I've always thought that there could never be too many Canada Geese.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 31,615
Re: Thanks Larry and Bill

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Well, I think the Sony PMH program is very good. For me, the high-points are photo re-sizing and video trimming and combining. You can leave the videos in their native 60p format and do those things. And the vid-cap feature is excellent. The shots on my first post were captured by the program in my computer. I see that the new 2.0 version has more processing features. It is also useful for uploading photos and videos. It's worth giving a try.

You may have to connect the camera to get the first version and then upgrade it. The process of uploading the program from the camera is complicated, but I managed to do it. The photo re-sizing has the option to set the quality on the highest level of 6 and this seems to improve and clean up the images. It gives the re-sized versions about 50% more bits-per-pixel than the full-sized photos. And I've always thought that there could never be too many Canada Geese.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album

That's the priviledge of everyone...To disagree...To each his own, Steve

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 +3 more
LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926
Re: Thanks Larry and Bill

Some of the best shots i have seen with video capture Steve...well done...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Stephen McDonald
Re: Thanks LTZ

Thanks very much. The Sony PMH Program does a good job with vid-caps, especially if they're from 60p video. This image of geese is the best that could be done with SD video. It came from a Sony TRV730 Digital8 camcorder about 10 years ago:

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album

LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926
Re: Thanks LTZ

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Thanks very much. The Sony PMH Program does a good job with vid-caps, especially if they're from 60p video. This image of geese is the best that could be done with SD video. It came from a Sony TRV730 Digital8 camcorder about 10 years ago:

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album

Amazing Steve, better than many digital cameras...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Stephen McDonald
Vid-Cap of a Mallard

Here's another HD vid-cap taken from 60p footage, from late in the evening. Sometimes, in dim light, shooting video and later capturing still-frames is the best way to get a presentable photo. These cameras produce much brighter video in these circumstances than the J-PEG photos will be. I'm assuming that a much larger number of pixels are merged into the 2.1 MP needed for HD video, resulting in more apparent illumination.

Sony HX200V in Active Stabilization Mode.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album

HX100V_SN-501251
HX100V_SN-501251 Contributing Member • Posts: 555
2.0 Update for the PMH Program

On a related note .... the recent PHM version 2.0.XXXX is the best so far, particularly that they reinstated the calendar view with thumbnails on the days with images! Further it handles the correct date/time and preserves the proper naming of the AVCHD files from the SONY cameras on import! Other import software, i.e. PICASA, does not handle AVCHD files well, generically naming and listing date/time info incorrectly upon import.

They also fixed the selection process on import so you can select several or a combination of images like MS explorer by using the CTRL and SHIFT keys and "checking" one of the images selected.

Unfortunately, there is no way to coerce the PHM software to use a "preferred" folder dating method; i.e. Y-M-D.

HX100V_SN-501251's gear list:HX100V_SN-501251's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX +2 more
Stephen McDonald
Re: 2.0 Update for the PMH Program

HX100V_SN-501251 wrote:

On a related note .... the recent PHM version 2.0.XXXX is the best so far, particularly that they reinstated the calendar view with thumbnails on the days with images! Further it handles the correct date/time and preserves the proper naming of the AVCHD files from the SONY cameras on import! Other import software, i.e. PICASA, does not handle AVCHD files well, generically naming and listing date/time info incorrectly upon import.

They also fixed the selection process on import so you can select several or a combination of images like MS explorer by using the CTRL and SHIFT keys and "checking" one of the images selected.

Unfortunately, there is no way to coerce the PHM software to use a "preferred" folder dating method; i.e. Y-M-D.

The PMH 2.0 version really is improved, although it looks very different and will take some time to adjust to it. I don't like the big, blurred splash that occurs when you go up and down the list when viewing your photos. They still don't show you the photo numbers when you're in thumbnail view, which may make you do a couple of extra moves to put the right one on the processing board. It surprises me how many people dislike this program, as it has so many features that are top-quality for re-sizing photos, trimming and combining video and making vid-caps. Its ability to quickly import files is uncomplicated. Ever since I got a computer with a card-slot 8 years ago, I've always used that method for importing and I don't understand why so many people need to use card-readers or wire-up their cameras. Perhaps some of them still have computers that don't accept SDHC cards or the larger-capacity ones.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album

HX100V_SN-501251
HX100V_SN-501251 Contributing Member • Posts: 555
Re: 2.0 Update for the PMH Program

Stephen McDonald wrote:

HX100V_SN-501251 wrote:

They also fixed the selection process on import so you can select several or a combination of images like MS explorer by using the CTRL and SHIFT keys and "checking" one of the images selected.

Unfortunately, there is no way to coerce the PHM software to use a "preferred" folder dating method; i.e. Y-M-D.

They still don't show you the photo numbers when you're in thumbnail view, which may make you do a couple of extra moves to put the right one on the processing board.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album

Is this what you are looking for?  File name/photo #

HX100V_SN-501251's gear list:HX100V_SN-501251's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX +2 more
Stephen McDonald
Re: 2.0 Update for the PMH Program---File No.

Stephen McDonald wrote:

They still don't show you the photo numbers when you're in thumbnail view, which may make you do a couple of extra moves to put the right one on the processing board.

HX100V_SN-50151 wrote:

Is this what you are looking for? File name/photo #

This works. The file numbers now show on thumbnails. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album

infraRaven Contributing Member • Posts: 503
Re: 2.0 Update for the PMH Program---File No.

I wish the Sony software would show all camera settings in the info (exifs) e.g. if handheld mode was used, hdr, etc.

And a really highlight for me would be if all effects like hdr-paint could be added with this software to any raw file. The software from Olympus did so, when I had the XZ-1. That was really great.

I had tried the Sony software in my sandbox and deleted it just an hour later.

KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 6,235

Nice video captures, I have always loved Geese in flight, and I am lucky to live where it happens lots of times. I have seen Geese mess up a yard or two.

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 450D
Stephen McDonald
Re: 2.0 Update for the PMH Program----Reasons to Keep It

infraRaven wrote:

I wish the Sony software would show all camera settings in the info (EXIF) e.g., if handheld mode was used, HDR, etc.

If you go to Tools and then Settings, you can check the boxes for more information to be added, such as F-number and ISO.

And a real highlight for me would be if all effects like HDR-paint could be added with this software to any RAW file. The software from Olympus did so, when I had the XZ-1. That was really great.

I had tried the Sony software in my sandbox and deleted it just an hour later.

I don't think Sony intended to make this a complete photo-processing program. There's probably a high percentage of those who buy their fixed-lens cameras, who would have little interest in the features it does have. I use it for importing, photo re-sizing and video trimming and combining, as well as for vid-caps, which it does very well.

There's complete processing programs, some of them free, such as FastStone, but most of them don't do the tasks I described as well as Play Memories Home 2.0. It's worth keeping on your computer just for the things it does better. I don't know of any other free program that will trim and combine 50p or 60p video, leaving it in its native format.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album

Stephen McDonald
Re: New Year's Geese-----Thanks KJaay

KJaay wrote:

Nice video captures, I have always loved Geese in flight, and I am lucky to live where it happens lots of times. I have seen Geese mess up a yard or two.

-- hide signature --

KJ

Thank you, KJaay. Sometimes, vid-caps are the only photos I can get of flying birds. If a good scene of birds presents itself, I will usually choose video over photos. Unfortunately, they don't offer dual-capture in the 60p mode I always use. One little problem I've discovered, is when you use the PMH Program to make vid-caps, the EXIF shows the camera name as, "Play Memories Home".

There are people who will say that geese spread disease or bacteria in their droppings. But I grew up on a farm where we kept many types of wild waterfowl and other birds. At times, some of our Canada Geese would be in our backyard and I raised some goslings in the house by hand. Other than catching the flu a couple of times (not bird flu), I was never sick.

Here's another goose shot-----not a vid-cap:

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads