X100's Remarkable control of ambient light

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions
pursang Regular Member • Posts: 232
X100's Remarkable control of ambient light

I have been experimenting with the X100's sync speed and built in ND filter. What a remarkable combination. I recently shot this young singer using the X100 at 1/1000th f5.6. I lit her with a Paul Buff Einstein along with his silver 22" beauty dish. I tested the sync speed up to the camera's maximum 1/4000th and it worked so well it reduced the ambient light too much for my taste. I have been able to accomplish this with my regular work gear, but it involved quite a bit more adjustments since my regular rig is constrained to 1/250th sync speed.

I could not be happier with this little camera.

pursang's gear list:pursang's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS-1D X Pentax 645Z Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +17 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SolitaryMan Contributing Member • Posts: 757
Re: X100's Remarkable control of ambient light

Most excellent image. What are you triggering the Einstein with? I have an Einstein and use PW's.

-- hide signature --

http://www.MiddleburgPhoto.com
Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching.
-Thomas Jefferson

SolitaryMan's gear list:SolitaryMan's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Sony a9 +6 more
AM4L
AM4L Senior Member • Posts: 2,805

Lovely light and subject!

happy New Year!

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
AM4L.com
Mark

AM4L's gear list:AM4L's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +29 more
skimble
skimble Veteran Member • Posts: 6,178

It is a pleasure seeing your work here Sir (as well as on your Web page), good to have some real artistic photographer around.

Cheers,

Siggi

skimble's gear list:skimble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 70D
OP pursang Regular Member • Posts: 232

SolitaryMan wrote:

Most excellent image. What are you triggering the Einstein with? I have an Einstein and use PW's.

I am using PCB's Cybersync Trigger Transmitter on the X100 and the Cybersync Transceiver on the Einstein. I prefer to use CyberCommander because I love the remote control. of all the functions.

Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS-1D X Pentax 645Z Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +17 more

AM4L wrote:

Lovely light and subject!

happy New Year!

Thanks much!

skimble wrote:

It is a pleasure seeing your work here Sir (as well as on your Web page), good to have some real artistic photographer around.

Cheers,

Siggi

Thanks Siggi

jmczaja
jmczaja Regular Member • Posts: 228

Excellent picture! Thanks..

jmczaja's gear list:jmczaja's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +5 more
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,773

Almost like a painting. Thanks for posting this shot.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
ArneMarco
ArneMarco Senior Member • Posts: 1,989

Very nice and inspiring ... I learned something new there ... thank you for posting and explaining this ...

-- hide signature --
Plakanina Contributing Member • Posts: 865

pursang wrote:

I have been experimenting with the X100's sync speed and built in ND filter. What a remarkable combination. I recently shot this young singer using the X100 at 1/1000th f5.6.

Not all flashes will put out at 1/1000....flash duration etc stuff.

Found that out this morning using 1/1000 with my Sunpak 622 beast at a beach location.

Tested when I returned and 500th on the X100 is the max with the 622. So X100 people if you use off camera flash check its max power output at high shutter speeds.

ND filter use is great for off camera flash at least in bright conditions....love it. I'm using this camera more than my Pentax K5....what's happening to me ?

Good shots, thanks

Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Paul Farace
Paul Farace Contributing Member • Posts: 804

Love the strobist approach, very good work!  And the girl musican is a real pro!!! I think she is outstanding in her field...     ba dump bump! (sorry I had to use that joke!)....

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more

X100 1/30th f11 using a PCB Einstein. I wanted motion in her flowing dress, but had to wait until her upper body reached it's limit in order to freeze her face. Love the Fuji color.

rosvo Regular Member • Posts: 224

Beautiful photos, thx for posting
I can't agree with you more about the fuji colors.

I had a look at your photos/website, I'm really blown away by your work, especialy the B&W in the Street Gallery (personal taste)

rosvo wrote:

Beautiful photos, thx for posting
I can't agree with you more about the fuji colors.

I had a look at your photos/website, I'm really blown away by your work, especialy the B&W in the Street Gallery (personal taste)

Thank you. There is such a romantic quality to the Fuji colors. Although I seldom have time for street shooting I'm hoping the little X100 will encourage me to make time.

IrishhAndy
IrishhAndy Contributing Member • Posts: 868

pursang wrote:

I have been experimenting with the X100's sync speed and built in ND filter. What a remarkable combination. I recently shot this young singer using the X100 at 1/1000th f5.6. I lit her with a Paul Buff Einstein along with his silver 22" beauty dish. I tested the sync speed up to the camera's maximum 1/4000th and it worked so well it reduced the ambient light too much for my taste. I have been able to accomplish this with my regular work gear, but it involved quite a bit more adjustments since my regular rig is constrained to 1/250th sync speed.

I could not be happier with this little camera.

It is normal

-- hide signature --

A solution looking for a problem !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads